TTTNE 476 - the ghost of series past

RhaenysBee

21 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Whew, I am so happy it is weekend. :) New job is nice, but so exhausting.

I was almost mistaken for one of the students yesterday by a coworker. I ... will take this as a compliment, I suppose? But to be fair, I was wearing a mask.

Definitely a compliment. :thumbsup: 

Happy to hear the new job is treating you well! 

12 hours ago, felice said:

I'm glad the job is working out for you!

My computer chair broke the other day, so I'm stuck on a dining room chair for a while until the replacement arrives. Fortunately there was no other damage; the monitor came close to falling off the back of the desk when I hit it, but didn't quite.

Glad the computer’s fine, but are you? Hope you weren’t hurt either. 

8 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Glad the computer’s fine, but are you? Hope you weren’t hurt either. 

Yes, I'm fine, thanks! Could maybe have gone badly if it had tilted to the side instead of forwards, but as it was it really just startled me.

@felice was glad to hear that the chair accident was lucky for both the computer and you :cheers: to a new and stable desk chair!

Well, days may be shorter but that certainly doesn’t affect the 30c heat. Wish we had this weather throughout July and August, and switched to 20 by now, but hopefully a cold wave is on the way. Covid stats still suck, potential employers still don’t respond, sister’s reno still not finished, dogs still separated, legal issues still open. 2020 feels like one of those disappearing stair steps in Hogwarts your feet gets trapped in when you step on them. But I’m not complaining, today is a nice day and I’m currently having a coffee in the park. 

3 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

2020 feels like one of those disappearing stair steps in Hogwarts your feet gets trapped in when you step on them. But I’m not complaining, today is a nice day and I’m currently having a coffee in the park. 

Somebody posted 2020 doesn't count. I like this way of thinking, because it means I won't turn 30 next year yet ... can we make it really not count? ;) 

On 9/3/2020 at 5:58 PM, RhaenysBee said:

Hi all! How is everybody? 
Are you back at uni yet, @First of My Name

Hellooo.

I am, and it's pretty hard for me to keep up with the pace, but it's going alright so far. Online classes mean I can listen in on some lessons while typing this ;) I'm having a lot of fun with my roommates and I discovered an amazing second-hand bookstore run by cool old ladies pretty close to me, so life is pretty good. How is it going with you?

1 hour ago, First of My Name said:

Hellooo.

I am, and it's pretty hard for me to keep up with the pace, but it's going alright so far. Online classes mean I can listen in on some lessons while typing this ;) I'm having a lot of fun with my roommates and I discovered an amazing second-hand bookstore run by cool old ladies pretty close to me, so life is pretty good. How is it going with you?

Awww that sounds so amazing! I love book stores and second hand ones are the absolute best. What makes an old lady cool, I wonder though? :D 

Oh I’m fine. 2020 is not an easy ride but it’s not easy for anybody and much more difficult for many than it is for me. I’m in the best state of mind about it as I have been since March so that’s a win I guess. Reno’s still going on, we are doing dog schooling, and I got an audible subscription which I’m absolutely enjoying. Increased my literature consumption a lot. In fact I’m kinda pleased with how much I’ve read/listened to this year. I really missed this kind of intellectual stimulation. 

19 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

My text was on the radio on Sunday! :o :commie: :commie::commie: 

I’m not sure what exactly that means, but congrats anyways, sounds like a big celebration-worthy deal! :cheers: 

1 hour ago, First of My Name said:

Hellooo.

Sounds like you are having a good time all around. :) Though on-the-location schooling is preferable to online. I just talked to my coworker about this today, I hope we stay in school for as long as possible and don't have to go online any time soon.

How are your flatmates like?

19 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’m not sure what exactly that means, but congrats anyways, sounds like a big celebration-worthy deal! :cheers: 

Yes! Well, basically, I wrote a radio show about literature and included some of my translations and sold it to a radio station, and they recorded it and put music to it and all, and broadcasted it last Sunday. :) So, as unfortunate as 2020 has been for many people, for me, it has been actually pretty good career-wise - there was a setback in March/April, but since then, I cannot really complain, some things were just delayed for a few months.

10 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Sounds like you are having a good time all around. :) Though on-the-location schooling is preferable to online. I just talked to my coworker about this today, I hope we stay in school for as long as possible and don't have to go online any time soon.

Yes! Well, basically, I wrote a radio show about literature and included some of my translations and sold it to a radio station, and they recorded it and put music to it and all, and broadcasted it last Sunday. :) So, as unfortunate as 2020 has been for many people, for me, it has been actually pretty good career-wise - there was a setback in March/April, but since then, I cannot really complain, some things were just delayed for a few months.

WOW THAT’S A HUGE DEAL! BIG BIG BIG CONGRATS TO YOU for being radio famous and a right artist! Now that I understand it, I shall correct the amount of cheers to: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :commie: :commie: :commie: 

On 9/3/2020 at 4:58 PM, RhaenysBee said:

Hi all! How is everybody? 

How is the new job treating you, @Buckwheat
How are mini sith 1 and 2, @Jen'ari
Are you back at uni yet, @First of My Name
Is work still quiet, @felice
How is life, @The BlackBear?

I’m overall calm today. My productivity level is converging to zero but at least I’m not overly anxious. That feels nice so I don’t even mind too much that I pissed off at least three people today. 

Hello, sorry I've been quite busy, both Mini Siths are doing well, Mini Sith 2 is starting teething though :(.

On 9/16/2020 at 10:38 PM, RhaenysBee said:

Awww that sounds so amazing! I love book stores and second hand ones are the absolute best. What makes an old lady cool, I wonder though? :D 

Oh I’m fine. 2020 is not an easy ride but it’s not easy for anybody and much more difficult for many than it is for me. I’m in the best state of mind about it as I have been since March so that’s a win I guess. Reno’s still going on, we are doing dog schooling, and I got an audible subscription which I’m absolutely enjoying. Increased my literature consumption a lot. In fact I’m kinda pleased with how much I’ve read/listened to this year. I really missed this kind of intellectual stimulation. 

I'm not sure, they were lively and slightly rude, I just enjoyed it :P 

That's good to hear. I've been out of the loop, what's the deal with Reno? Super nice that you're reading/listening a lot though! I've been wanting to pick up the pace as well.

On 9/16/2020 at 10:52 PM, Buckwheat said:

Oh you still have physical classes, that's nice! It's so hard to focus when I'm in my own room.

They're great, they're pretty much my best friends. There's 14 of us living in a big shabby house and I've lived here for for just over two years now, so I've known most of them for a while now. Though of course being in quarantine with 14 twenty-somethings means a LOT of noise and irritation as well :P But I love it here, I have a ton of fun.

And that's awesome! Congratulations.

43 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

Oh you still have physical classes, that's nice! It's so hard to focus when I'm in my own room.

They're great, they're pretty much my best friends. There's 14 of us living in a big shabby house and I've lived here for for just over two years now, so I've known most of them for a while now. Though of course being in quarantine with 14 twenty-somethings means a LOT of noise and irritation as well :P But I love it here, I have a ton of fun.

And that's awesome! Congratulations.

I mean, we do, but I teach in a high school now, so a different situation. :P I hope we stay on location for as long as possible, but some schools around the country have had to send some classes into quarantine already. And we need to wear masks all the time, including while teaching in a classroom. Until yesterday, we were allowed to take them off inside the classroom, provided one was standing at least 1,5 m away from the students. I cannot imagine how I am going to talk to the students with a mask on the whole day and show them correct pronunciation if they cannot see my face. :dunno: 

That sounds like a very exciting living situation. :o I have never heard of anybody living in such a big group of flatmates. I have been thinking about my own living situation a lot recently, as I finally have some sort of a stable job (for one year at least), but a long daily commute.

Thanks. :) 

On 9/19/2020 at 12:56 AM, Jen'ari said:

Hello, sorry I've been quite busy, both Mini Siths are doing well, Mini Sith 2 is starting teething though :(.

Great to hear from you! Poor mini sith 2, hope her achy little teeth come out soon. 

On 9/19/2020 at 9:41 AM, The BlackBear said:

Just saying hi to everyone. Sorry to all those in the States :grouphug: 

Hi Bear! :cheers: 

13 hours ago, First of My Name said:

I'm not sure, they were lively and slightly rude, I just enjoyed it :P 

That's good to hear. I've been out of the loop, what's the deal with Reno? Super nice that you're reading/listening a lot though! I've been wanting to pick up the pace as well.

:lol: Makes sense, fun old people are really adorable. 

We have all the electronics now as well as some furniture on the way and we’ll have the built-ins Installed in early October. I also have a handyman coming over to touch up all the disgusting finishes the contractor left behind. We need to get internet and do some serious cord management (the outlets are all in the wrong place). And we have yet to do all the shopping for decor and general household items. So there’s a light flickering at the end of the tunnel already but it’s still some work. Sister will probably be able to move during her autumn break. 

Audiobooks proved really useful for me because I get to listen to books while I’m doing manual activities. If you haven’t tried consuming literature that way, I do recommend it, although the curl up with a hot beverage, a blanket and a physical book feeling doesn’t come with it. 

Hi, I can barely move from exhaustion, how are you? 

After two days of vigorous gardening (I need to learn to do these things much slower and lighter) and other domestic chores, we took the Chancellor for his neutering surgery this morning. Turned out he only weighs 30kgs but it still takes all the muscle power and weight I have to control and move that dog. He is home now, he got a huge cone and he’s still quite dizzy and groggy from the tranquilizers, but he’s all right. For today, PW has the yard for himself - and what he’s doing, one might ask- sitting in front of the door waiting to be let inside. I guess it’s not only humans who always want what they don’t have. 

I did manage to stretch out my neck and shoulders and arms last night but my back is rather sore and I had a bad sleep last night. So I’m just vegetating on the bed. I’ll try to have a nap then clean up for a Skype interview and now that PW is outside all day I can skip the dog walking In the evening and repot a dying plant instead. I’ll be here tomorrow too because I want to make sure the Chancellor is okay and get back to the city on Thursday. I’m really really tired.

3 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Hi, I can barely move from exhaustion, how are you? 

After two days of vigorous gardening (I need to learn to do these things much slower and lighter) and other domestic chores, we took the Chancellor for his neutering surgery this morning. Turned out he only weighs 30kgs but it still takes all the muscle power and weight I have to control and move that dog. He is home now, he got a huge cone and he’s still quite dizzy and groggy from the tranquilizers, but he’s all right. For today, PW has the yard for himself - and what he’s doing, one might ask- sitting in front of the door waiting to be let inside. I guess it’s not only humans who always want what they don’t have. 

I did manage to stretch out my neck and shoulders and arms last night but my back is rather sore and I had a bad sleep last night. So I’m just vegetating on the bed. I’ll try to have a nap then clean up for a Skype interview and now that PW is outside all day I can skip the dog walking In the evening and repot a dying plant instead. I’ll be here tomorrow too because I want to make sure the Chancellor is okay and get back to the city on Thursday. I’m really really tired.

Extremely tired here too.

I need to learn to teach better and to save energy while doing it. It is really demanding. I just came home, going to goof off on the Internet for a while, then cook lunch for when my valonqar comes home so we can eat together, then probably have to sleep a bit before I even start preparing the lessons for tomorrow - luckily I don't have many classes tomorrow. But then there are also the tasks associated with this continuous education seminar we need to take ... so much to do, so little energy!

Good luck with the Skype interview!

5 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Extremely tired here too.

I need to learn to teach better and to save energy while doing it. It is really demanding. I just came home, going to goof off on the Internet for a while, then cook lunch for when my valonqar comes home so we can eat together, then probably have to sleep a bit before I even start preparing the lessons for tomorrow - luckily I don't have many classes tomorrow. But then there are also the tasks associated with this continuous education seminar we need to take ... so much to do, so little energy!

Good luck with the Skype interview!

Everything tends to get easier and less tiring with practice, maybe teaching too? Fingers crossed for you! 
I had a little nap too but I was still insanely tired during the interview. I’m sure it showed but I did my best anyway. What can you do? I would love to get this position, so fingers crossed that they didn’t hate me.

What kinda seminar is that? Something you guys attend at the new job or is it unrelated? Sounds interesting, what does continuous education mean? 

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

Everything tends to get easier and less tiring with practice, maybe teaching too? Fingers crossed for you! 
I had a little nap too but I was still insanely tired during the interview. I’m sure it showed but I did my best anyway. What can you do? I would love to get this position, so fingers crossed that they didn’t hate me.

What kinda seminar is that? Something you guys attend at the new job or is it unrelated? Sounds interesting, what does continuous education mean? 

Well, everybody says it will get less demanding with time. So there is some hope. :) Plus I do love that the schedule is mostly in the morning and then the rest of the work, you can do on your own time. I try to do as much as possible while I am actually in school; in time I will learn to balance time better and it won't be as tiring anymore.

Well, I hope you get it then. :)

We have to attend this webinar for the new job, it is apparently compulsory for all the staff. For now I just looked through the topics in the moodle classroom; it doesn't look that interesting, but will decide when I actually take the time to watch the video lectures through. I am going to do so tomorrow and then talk through it all with coworkers, so we can do some tasks together as a group.

It turns out that that actually is a term and not something I just made up. Wiki says: 

Spoiler

Continuing education (similar to further education in the United Kingdom and Ireland) is an all-encompassing term within a broad list of post-secondary learning activities and programs. The term is used mainly in the United States and Canada.

Recognized forms of post-secondary learning activities within the domain include: degree credit courses by non-traditional students, non-degree career training, college remediation, workforce training, and formal personal enrichment courses (both on-campus and online).

Welp, this is not something I actually meant, I just meant an online seminar we need to take where I work, but it is not college-level.

Weekend! Yay, two days that I don't have to yell at and lose nerves with groups of teenagers! :commie:

No, really, most of them are good. Job is generally exhausting, but is starting to be rewarding too.

Will probably change my mind about that and be disappointed in a few weeks when I need to correct tests. :leaving: 

Well, winter is here. As in, it was 27C two days ago and currently it’s 11.

I need to go and do hardware shopping for the flat. I need a doorstep, a small bottle of white paint, a small bottle of anthracite paint, a brush or two, the solvent you use to clean brass, Linseed oil, a doorbell telephone (whatever you call that), extension cords, cable organizers, a flat end screwdriver, a hammer and some type of profile or trim to cover up the disgusting glue finish of the shower cabinet edges, masking tape, sanding paper, possibly a small pot of putty for small fixes. I think that’s all. I’ll need a taxi to transport all this to the flat. I kinda feel like cooking some nice little autumnal something tomorrow. Or bake something at least. We’ll see. 

Then I will have a third interview for a job on Monday, then the handyman appointment, and hopefully an H&M home package return pickup inbetween. Then a doctor’s appointment on Tuesday because I’ve decided I need to fix myself up before I turn 30 and a bank appointment. Then hmm oh yes internet installation appointment for the flat on Wednesday and hopefully blood test/further test appointments. And I’ll go back to the country on Friday because the chancellor is getting his stitches removed on Saturday. 

I did get selected for a job by the way, which I don’t really want, but I’ll accept the offer anyway if the other job rejects me in the last round. We’ll see. 

The one reason I’m not thrilled about the colder weather is that I’ll soon be too cold to sit and read on my little park bench. This is the time when one would normally cozy up in a cafe, but who dares to stay inside a cafe for longer than the 5 minutes of purchasing the cafe these days? - I sure don’t. And it’s not possible to read at home so my best option is to finish the Witcher book I’ve been munching for months next weekend in the country. 

Not sure why I went into all these nonsensical and irrelevant details in this post. The nutshell version is: It’s cold and I’ll have an eventful couple days. 

Archived