TTTNE 476 - the ghost of series past

RhaenysBee

We have a disgusting weather. But at least I got my roots touched up, bought healthy snacks and breakfast food (this will allegedly help me gain weight), and my lab result is almost clear, kinda (if one can believe doctors a 1-2 point difference isnt significant or relevant), so that’s nice. And the builders will come over tomorrow to cut a larger hole into the kitchen foundation so plumbers won’t walk out on me because they can’t access the sink. Lesson learned - if you have a kitchen installed get the plumber in on the same day so he can connect the sink to the piping before it gets too difficult to access or secured into the counter top and becomes immobile. Wish one of the thousand professionals I talk to had warned me about this, but oh well. 

still need to place orders for: hallway equipment, desk chair, random decor, kitchen stuff, printed art, cleaning tools, bathroom accessories and I need to exchange the wall attachment fixture things of the shower cabinet. (I would say I don’t know what they are called in English, but the truth is I don’t know what they are called in any languages) Here’s the problem. I still can’t decide if it makes me cry or laugh. 

17 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Is the door to the shower too wide or what is the problem?

Am possibly quarantined as of tomorrow. I hate this. :( 

The doors are fine, they are just open, that’s why they look funny. The shower head is too low. (And it’s ugly as hell) The glass is 200cm in height, with these stability bars running above it, the rainfall head, losing the curve of the stand as well as its own depth, sits as low as 185ish - a tall man can’t fit under it and then it’s a rainfall head, it’s supposed to rain down on you, not directly on the top of your head. My request had been that the fixed glass is secured to the wall vertically at a 45 degree angle or to the ceiling (exactly so the shower stand could extend higher than the glass and the water itself would start running at 210-200ish), but the constructor just couldn’t wouldn’t make this happen. So it’s a yummy post production mission left to me.  

oh no, what happened? Are you all right? Is it a safety quarantine because a colleague or a kid tested positive or you’re unwell? 

Okay, turns out I am not in quarantine, but a group of my students it. So I can go to school, I have to wear a mask at all times and I can teach other groups in person, only this group via Zoom. Whew. It is still really scary, but at least I can go to work and I am probably all right.

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Okay, turns out I am not in quarantine, but a group of my students it. So I can go to school, I have to wear a mask at all times and I can teach other groups in person, only this group via Zoom. Whew. It is still really scary, but at least I can go to work and I am probably all right.

So a student is sick and they closed the class but you don’t count as close contact? Do you guys have the acrylic wall thingies or just wear masks during class?

20 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

So a student is sick and they closed the class but you don’t count as close contact? Do you guys have the acrylic wall thingies or just wear masks during class?

We mostly wear masks.

I am so tired and it is only Wednesday.

12 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I am so tired and it is only Wednesday.

I feel you. I thought I’d get to have a week off before I start the new job, but it’s not going to happen, in fact, I’ll be happy if we finish everything up that’s yet to be finished up by then.

How are you coping with the early mornings? It was soul wrecking to get up while it was still dark outside today. 

9 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I feel you. I thought I’d get to have a week off before I start the new job, but it’s not going to happen, in fact, I’ll be happy if we finish everything up that’s yet to be finished up by then.

How are you coping with the early mornings? It was soul wrecking to get up while it was still dark outside today. 

Good luck with the new job. :)

We are going wholly online next week (whole education system for kids older than 11, so all secondary schools too). Crap. I hope I am not totally lost with it. And of course I hope that these measures diminsh the pandemic so we can go back to school soon.

Early morning are tiresome, but somehow got used to them, mostly. The commute is honestly more tiring. In the past few days, we called off commuting together for safety reasons, so I drive alone every day now.

54 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Good luck with the new job. :)

We are going wholly online next week (whole education system for kids older than 11, so all secondary schools too). Crap. I hope I am not totally lost with it. And of course I hope that these measures diminsh the pandemic so we can go back to school soon.

Early morning are tiresome, but somehow got used to them, mostly. The commute is honestly more tiring. In the past few days, we called off commuting together for safety reasons, so I drive alone every day now.

Thanks. Fortunately I still have two weeks before I start. 

Ah that’s really nice, hope you all stay safe and get back to school under better circumstances in a couple months. No such step around here, i suppose we are desperate to keep the economy afloat, and we’re riding it out until we have a vaccine. So it’s just masks everywhere and restaurants/pubs/clubs close at 11pm. 

At you practice driving. That’s something. And it’s always nice when people are willing to take safety measures. 

5 out of 5 repairmen I’ve had over were maskless. Which is weird because 3 out of 5 were 60+ year old men, so statistically they are a group that should be taking care of themselves. At least I had a mask on  and it’s pretty easy to keep distance as I was in a different room while they worked and we had the windows open, but it still underlines how undisciplined people are/have become. Unless you enforce something by sanctioning lack of cooperation, the majority goes on like nothing’s going on. In fact even if you do enforce something the elemental instinct of Hungarian people is to find a loophole, get around the rule and break it anyway. I guess these things are historically rooted in us and maybe it’s no better in other places either, but it never stops baffling me. And soooooo many people “don’t believe” in coronavirus too. 

dreary rainy weather, headache. I got out of bed an hour and a half ago. Way to waste the day, but I was exhausted last night. Will go out for a coffee and some bakery, mostly to breathe fresh air and then read this poor novel I’ve been dragging along in my handbag since July. Can’t do much at the flat today, need to wait for paint to dry. But I’ll place the remaining orders today or tomorrow. And I also want to back pumpkin muffins. It’s mid October and I haven’t baked pumpkin muffins yet. 

We are just all staying at home trying to hide ourselves from covid. Restaurants and cafés are closed and there are strict regulations about going anywhere, so there is not much to do ... but to stay in and work.

Just now, Buckwheat said:

We are just all staying at home trying to hide ourselves from covid. Restaurants and cafés are closed and there are strict regulations about going anywhere, so there is not much to do ... but to stay in and work.

My friend’s just saying they are at ikea and everything is stuffed with people. And we wonder why theres are 1700+ new cases today. Then again as long as there are no regulations and shops and restaurants are open, who can blame them? Fortune favors the brave I suppose. My only non-necessity outings are buying takeaway coffee and having it in a park. The rest are reno related necessities. At least it’s so lucky that I get to go to hardware and supply stores in the middle of the work day when they are nearly empty. 

19 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Whoah. Staying at home teaching over Zoom is tiring. Especially hard on the eyes, too. But two more days and then autumn holidays!

I feel you. I’ll probably be looking at 6 moths of home office at least. And I thought I wanted tO find a job :lol: well, don’t give up, the holidays are nigh. 

I broke my sunglasses the other day. They were the best damn sunglasses I ever had. Perfect fit, size, style and color. And the store no longer carries them. Currently hunting for the same style in the same color for a reasonable price that doesn’t fall off my tiny head. 
Moral of the story: while your best damn sunglasses may be an €8 high street pair, their lifespan is barely a quarter of quality sunglasses (not to say those are worth their price tag, but they’ve been going strong for... I would say 8-9 years? and I expect to wear them at my funeral) 

On 10/21/2020 at 9:25 PM, RhaenysBee said:

I feel you. I’ll probably be looking at 6 moths of home office at least. And I thought I wanted tO find a job :lol: well, don’t give up, the holidays are nigh. 

I broke my sunglasses the other day. They were the best damn sunglasses I ever had. Perfect fit, size, style and color. And the store no longer carries them. Currently hunting for the same style in the same color for a reasonable price that doesn’t fall off my tiny head. 
Moral of the story: while your best damn sunglasses may be an €8 high street pair, their lifespan is barely a quarter of quality sunglasses (not to say those are worth their price tag, but they’ve been going strong for... I would say 8-9 years? and I expect to wear them at my funeral) 

Uh, and to think I am sick of it after 5 days ... well, one week teaching at home survived. Aaaaand ... next week is holiday week! That means I survived almost two months as a high school teacher now. :commie: Anyway, very sorry that you will be working from home for so long. I have no idea how long we are going to be at it.

Errrr, I will try to remember the moral of the story about sunglasses then?

18 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Uh, and to think I am sick of it after 5 days ... well, one week teaching at home survived. Aaaaand ... next week is holiday week! That means I survived almost two months as a high school teacher now. :commie: Anyway, very sorry that you will be working from home for so long. I have no idea how long we are going to be at it.

Errrr, I will try to remember the moral of the story about sunglasses then?

Yay! We have a long weekend and autumn holidays next week as well. And hats off to you for two months working in education. 

well yeah, I would probably be a slightly bit more enthusiastic about starting this job if it wasn’t going to be online. But yeah I’m not looking forward to working through the holiday season entirely online.  Then again I can’t complain as some people have been at the non stop home office for 6 months already. 

In the country for the weekend, next week is going to be very busy, rushing to pretty up and organize the flat for sister. In fact I don’t think it’s going to be 100% ready, she’ll likely only move there on the first weekend in November. 

3 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Yay! We have a long weekend and autumn holidays next week as well. And hats off to you for two months working in education. 

well yeah, I would probably be a slightly bit more enthusiastic about starting this job if it wasn’t going to be online. But yeah I’m not looking forward to working through the holiday season entirely online.  Then again I can’t complain as some people have been at the non stop home office for 6 months already. 

In the country for the weekend, next week is going to be very busy, rushing to pretty up and organize the flat for sister. In fact I don’t think it’s going to be 100% ready, she’ll likely only move there on the first weekend in November. 

How ready does the flat have to be for her to move in? If there are only a few minor decorations left to do, then surely she can already live there while it is being done, right?

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

How ready does the flat have to be for her to move in? If there are only a few minor decorations left to do, then surely she can already live there while it is being done, right?

All “messy” finishing touches should be done before she stays there permanently (re-caulking the shower, adhering a profile around the windows to cover up the disgusting wall finish, filling out the curve of the hallway wall - due to which there’s a 2cm gap between the wall and the metal partition and installing the breakfast bar - this is going to be very problematic). Decorative additions such as hanging mirrors/pictures will need to happen once she’s already there. 

This will soon be over and I’ll start complaining about something else, I promise, but yesterday evening sister cancelled my mum’s helping out with her moving because it would be stressful for her. Which I can kinda understand if I really want to knowing their relationship, but the step also landed me with a day of extra work and about €100-150 in taxi fares. Oh well. I should be grateful that this is my biggest problem right now. 

I think I’m in the wrong mindset. I went into this week “knowing” and fearing that it’s going to be very difficult and now it feels very difficult. But what if I made myself believe that it’s not difficult, it’s progressing. I mean being on the phone with four different people to make things happen at the right time at the right place isn’t difficult, it’s just making phone calls. And getting myself to the other side of the city into two different hardware stores and than back to the flat isn’t difficult either. It’s costly and time consuming, but it’s just calling taxis and sitting in them and picking up stuff from a shop. Bagging recyclables and hazardous waste (just expired cleaning supplies) and getting a taxi to dispose of them responsibly at two different locations across the city isn’t difficult, it’s just packing bags and sitting in a car and paying for the ride. And if I stop thinking that all this is somehow difficult (which it really isn’t if you think about it), it’ll stop feeling so much, so overwhelming and so difficult to get through. And handling it all on my own and with no help whatsoever isn’t frustrating and sad, it’s empowering (good god how I hate this word) to conquer. It really all just depends on the story you tell yourself, right? Let’s hope so. 

Archived