TTTNE 476 - the ghost of series past

RhaenysBee

On 4/20/2020 at 3:14 PM, RhaenysBee said:

I don’t know what a Switch is :eek: :leaving: is it like Xbox and PlayStation? 
I’m making brownies and running renovation errands. And I want to sort out my avatar here because it’s driving me nuts to not have one :lol:  Quarantine problems, I suppose. 

Late reply but it is! And yeah, the quarantine has me paying a lot of attention to minuscule problems as well :P 

On 4/24/2020 at 1:03 PM, RhaenysBee said:

Ah mini sith 2 will hopefully follow in her sister’s footsteps and sleep through the night soon. Yeah, 6:00 is not a favorable wake up time. I don’t know how us adults will be back on it once the quarantine is over. I kinda like sleeping in till 8 :uhoh: 

Pre motherhood I was partial to the occasional sleeping in until 11 or 12, I never used to be a morning person!.

5 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

still healthy and howling...no germs can live in this old pickled body... :lmao:

...and now the important message...i need the recipes of the bolded meals above...and i think i am in love with your Mother...i mean trout with spiced apple sauce and bulgur sounds so good i have turned into pavlov's dog... :drool:

at our house Number One Niece (a.k.a She who must be Obeyed) has been very creative cooking while baking fresh bread every few days and of course biscuits and corn bread in between depending on meal

black beans and smoked ham hocks served on white rice

jambalaya with shrimp chicken and andouille sausage

roasted chicken with stewed tomatoes and okra...key is to fry extra okra to put on top

lobster bisque

catfish stew red potatoes and leeks...spicy and excellent on the second day...you make it then let it sit up overnight

i am in charge of cooking fish, so we have been eating fried, baked, poached and steamed fish...i recently discovered that crushed sea salt and vinegar chips...that would be "crisps" to many of you...make a wild tasty breading for fish and shrimp

i am also the asian cook since i spent so many years in asia...

stir fried fresh veg and thinly sliced beef...i use cuts of beef that would be too tough to eat grilled or cooked the regular way

fried tofu...firm tofu dipped in potato starch slurry and then wrapped in moistened seaweed and tied with blanched spring onions or leeks

...and now back to your regular programming

:smoking:

Wow that sounds like quite the family restaurant you all have going on! Will make sure to take inspiration. 

Will try to collect the recipes you mentioned tomorrow. As for my mother, she is freshly separated. I doubt she is looking, but there’s always hope :lol: 

We often make breading for fish using lemon juice, roasted breadcrumbs and herbs. It’s really crunchy and delicious. We also once tried crushing cornflakes to spice up breading but I wasn’t a fan of that. 

Sweat and sour chicken is the only Asian meal we attempt around here. 

5 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I see we have some excellent cooks in this thread. :drool: We never eat fish in our house. Today the valonqar and I made gnocchi, bechamel sauce with cherry tomatoes, fried slices of eggplant and lettuce.

WOOOOW. I would never ever dare to make bechamel sauce. Hats off, sounds great! 

4 hours ago, First of My Name said:

Late reply but it is! And yeah, the quarantine has me paying a lot of attention to minuscule problems as well :P 

Ah all right. What games do you like playing? I guess our brains are all a bit scattered. And I do find some weird joy in my minuscule problems :lol: 

2 hours ago, Jen'ari said:

Pre motherhood I was partial to the occasional sleeping in until 11 or 12, I never used to be a morning person!.

I sympathize. Even as a child I always missed the morning cartoons. I thought it was outrageous that television channels would start broadcasting cartoons as early as seven on a Saturday. Who the bell is up at seven on a Saturday? :dunno: 

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

Says the person who makes fish in breadcrumb-and-lemon coating. :drool: I don't even dare to attempt fish apart from tinned stuff to put on pasta occasionally. Bechamel sauce is actually quite easy.

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

I sympathize. Even as a child I always missed the morning cartoons. I thought it was outrageous that television channels would start broadcasting cartoons as early as seven on a Saturday. Who the bell is up at seven on a Saturday? :dunno: 

A lot of children whose parents want to stay in bed longer, apparently.

6 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Wow that sounds like quite the family restaurant you all have going on! Will make sure to take inspiration. 

Will try to collect the recipes you mentioned tomorrow. As for my mother, she is freshly separated. I doubt she is looking, but there’s always hope :lol: 

<snip>

B)

4 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Says the person who makes fish in breadcrumb-and-lemon coating. :drool: I don't even dare to attempt fish apart from tinned stuff to put on pasta occasionally. Bechamel sauce is actually quite easy.

fish is the easiest meat on earth to cook...start with some fillet like flounder, fresh or frozen, and coat lightly with seasoned flour (salt and pepper is enough) , put some butter in a hot skillet, melt it then put in fish and cook on med heat for about 2-3 minutes... depending on size then flip 2 more minutes put on plate with wild rice is good, polenta...which i call grits... are better...

that's it super simple...baked even easier...take same fillet lay out a piece of aluminum foil or just a shallow baking dish with a cover, put some fresh spinach leaves and sliced lemon salt and pepper or thinly sliced onion and tomato with some basil, dried or fresh, top with some olive oil close foil into a pouch or cover dish and bake 15 minutes in hot oven 375F... serve...anyone can do it and tastes great

...it is known...

:smoking:

17 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Oh no, no, no. I eat it. My mum makes it with potential help from sister, cooking is the last chore I’ll take on :/ 

When I do cook at home, I often make fish, that’s one of the very few things I dare to prepare myself. I never cook meat because I’m terrified of it the same goes for casseroles.  so if I have to Cook for myself it’s past, vegetable based dishes and fish. :leaving: 

49 minutes ago, Graven Skiver said:

Fantastic, how're you? Weather's awful here.

It is awful here as well. Rain all day. I’m quarantine drinking, but otherwise fine. 

sister returned. I’m surprisingly happy to reunite. I missed someone’s taking to me 24/7. 

Quarantine storytime... (ignore me) 

Episode 1
My mum doesn’t have a dish washer. It’s a mystery because she hates doing the dishes and she could have absolutely afforded to invest in a dishwasher and its installation at any point in the past ten years. Anyway, since I’m self-isolating with her I’ve been doing the dishes for the first 2-3 weeks of the quarantine (then I got a pretty nasty skin condition from all the sanitizing agents and we switched chores for a while). Every damn evening I washed a golden cup. It’s the vilest, ugliest, most atrocious creation of God and Russian porcelain industry. Then I reorganized the kitchen cabinets and I put all the “nice” chinaware into the farthest corner I could find and for a few lovely days I got to wash the regular ceramic cups. And then we organized the pantry (this is a story in itself) and found EIGHT giant jars of Ukrainian pickled tomatoes (my mum got rid of them, fortunately). Tonight, as I was washing all eight jars reeking of garlic, vinegar and acidy tomatoes, I kept thinking how much I would give to be washing those ghastly golden cups instead. I feel like 2020 really wants to teach me to be damn careful what I wish for. 

Episode2 
Prince William is officially usurped. It’s a sad story. It took a single mishap - losing one fight against the Chancellor, just because he got stuck under the terrace table. In that moment, the Chancellor realized he was bigger and stronger and able to stand up against him. Since then he no longer succumbs to Prince William’s aggression. Barking and growling at each other through the terrace railing (Prince William is allowed on the terrace, the Chancellor isn’t) has become an everyday practice, that’s the only was he (PW) can still express his former superiority. Poor babe, he reigned over the garden, what garden, the entire neighborhood and half the town for almost a decade and now old age and an ambitious youngling has him dethroned. The Chancellor rules the land with an iron paw and nobody dares to defy him openly any longer. He is especially nasty to prince william’s daughter, as he fears the two might team up against him as it has happened before when PW was in power. For this reason she gets a lot of extra treats. I have no idea what my life would be without these pups especially in quarantine. 

Episode 3 
After a number of organizing, crafting and DIY projects, which include new layout for top floor bedrooms, organization and decluttering of second floor storage units, pantry and half the kitchen, painting the shed door (and cutting my finger on the glass), installing bamboo fencing on the chewed terrace rail panels, cleaning/sanding off paw prints and mud from the wall around the back door (and scraping the skin off six knuckles), I have embarked on a room decoration journey. I found and attempted to empty two picture frames (cut another finger on the glass). I also looked through my old piano books and tore out a few of pages with the sheet music of pieces I remember liking. Even though some looked relatively worn already, I went ahead and tea dyed them (as seen in several YouTube videos) to intensify the aged appearance. I will be curious to see how they turn out but I have high hopes for good scrapbook/collage material at the very least. I will see if I decide to hang the one page or go crazy and add old magazine cutouts, map scraps, dry a couple flowers and do a maximalist collage. Knowing me I’ll probably do both because I can’t help myself... 

7 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Then I reorganized the kitchen cabinets and I put all the “nice” chinaware into the farthest corner I could find and for a few lovely days I got to wash the regular ceramic cups.

*GASP*

My mother would kill anybody who rearranged something in our kitchen without her, and when I suggest I might do it myself in the way that would benefit her the most (she is the shortest and has the most limited reach to upper shelves), she won't hear about it.

And we all live here permanently.

How are you still alive?

Episode2 
Prince William is officially usurped. 

Poor Prince William.

Episode 3 

Great that you are keeping yourself busy.

10 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

*GASP*

My mother would kill anybody who rearranged something in our kitchen without her, and when I suggest I might do it myself in the way that would benefit her the most (she is the shortest and has the most limited reach to upper shelves), she won't hear about it.

And we all live here permanently.

How are you still alive?

Poor Prince William.

Great that you are keeping yourself busy.

She agreed to my rearranging things. I don’t think she’s very particular about how things are. She also hates these type of household tasks and I think she was kinda glad that it’s done AND she didn’t have to deal with it. Plus, I freed one and a half shelves in the kitchen and now you are able to walk into the pantry (as opposed to having to step over/between the free flow of clutter crowding the floor). 

On 4/30/2020 at 8:28 PM, RhaenysBee said:

We often make breading for fish using lemon juice, roasted breadcrumbs and herbs. It’s really crunchy and delicious. We also once tried crushing cornflakes to spice up breading but I wasn’t a fan of that. 

Sweat and sour chicken is the only Asian meal we attempt around here. 

Ah all right. What games do you like playing? I guess our brains are all a bit scattered. And I do find some weird joy in my minuscule problems :lol: 

I used to get up early when I was little too but gradually it changed to not wanting to be up so early as I got older. I’m feeling very tired today both mini Siths were awake super early :(.

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

That must be very nice. :P 

:lol: why do I feel like there are strict kitchen  rules in your house? 

I had a very successful drive to the flower shop, grocery shop and pet shop. And there was a pup accident, the chancellor knocked his head against the open shed door as he rushed out to investigate a noise. Poor babe has a little bruise on his eyebrow that even bled. On the upside he loved the football we found in the shed. The shed clear out is quite an adventure. Mum insists on keeping TWO heaters we haven’t used in 15 years-  for two different types of apocalypse. You know, just a usual factor in decluttering. We also found my grandmother’s cookbook as well as cool decor from their house, a framed wedding photo and a bunch old books. Go well with spare tires, paint supplies and spare garbage bins, old bicycles, garden tools, jam making equipment, a fertilizer machine and piles and piles of old plastic stuff... :eek: 

4 hours ago, Jen'ari said:

I used to get up early when I was little too but gradually it changed to not wanting to be up so early as I got older. I’m feeling very tired today both mini Siths were awake super early :(.

Oh sending you caffeinated hugs from my coffee break! Will you have a chance for a nap? And how is your gran doing? I hope she’s safe and healthy. 

15 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

:lol: why do I feel like there are strict kitchen  rules in your house? 

I wonder why. :lol: 

16 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I had a very successful drive to the flower shop, grocery shop and pet shop. And there was a pup accident, the chancellor knocked his head against the open shed door as he rushed out to investigate a noise. Poor babe has a little bruise on his eyebrow that even bled. On the upside he loved the football we found in the shed. The shed clear out is quite an adventure. Mum insists on keeping TWO heaters we haven’t used in 15 years-  for two different types of apocalypse. You know, just a usual factor in decluttering. We also found my grandmother’s cookbook as well as cool decor from their house, a framed wedding photo and a bunch old books. Go well with spare tires, paint supplies and spare garbage bins, old bicycles, garden tools, jam making equipment, a fertilizer machine and piles and piles of old plastic stuff... :eek: 

Poor puppy.

That must be quite an adventure. I recently discovered a pile of old grammophone records at my aunt's house. And keeping two never-used heaters for years is something my grandfather would probably do. Old books are also cool, maybe you can try some recipes from there. Are you selling used bicycles?

Archived