Disenchantment (spoilers)

Hugorfonics

So, she's turning evil right? Or will she be able to fight Derek and his councilors while staying a good person? Regardless it looks like shes going to fulfil her prophecy (hopefully without getting screwed in the head) and repay the debt to hell. Whatever that means, something about saving Maru (though something about Dreamland, hence the pictures on the columns) and I guess something about Luci. 
So Luci doesn’t actually seem like the hell raised demon he acts like. After all, he gave up immortality for Elfo (or maybe for Beans happiness. Im not sure they like each other, but its evident they both love Bean) However its also possible that Luci is just playing the long con, like he told Beans uncle and aunt, after all he appears to be as integral to the prophecy as Bean. 
But Elfo has no prophecy at least not that one. But the elves have, if not a prophecy, a mission to live and explore Dreamland, hence all the writing on the wall. This probably has to do with all the dark elves running around, they kind of remind me of LOTR orcs, elves corrupted by dark magic. (I remember seeing one when Bean throws that party that the vikings crashed, I wonder what he was up to)
Speaking of elves, are they immortal like LOTR? The elixir of live gave immortality to that dude who lived in the cave of single traps with two parts, and it seemingly gave Dagmar immortality too, hence not dying when Bean blew her up. So does that mean that the whole city of Dreamland is immortal too? 
And what’s the deal with Steamland? How do they know so much, and why do they want to kill Zog? But the bigger question is Farnsworth Boulevard?!?! With the sticientist with red hair and a drawer of assorted lengths of wire! Under normal circumstances id call this an easter egg, like Vip and Vap looking like Akbar and Jeff or Zogs crown looking like Bender (though im beginning to doubt how coincidental that is too) but seeing how we see the Professor Fry and Bender in S1, well it raises some red flags.

Thoughts? Theories?

Given that Disenchantment is made by Netflix and Futurama by Fox, I'm not sure legally they can tie the two properties together. Tips of the hat/homages are okay under Fair Use, but legally they can't feature any significant Futurama tie-ins unless they've done some kind of secret deal with Fox behind the scenes.

I only got halfway through the first season of Disenchantment before dropping it, as it simply wasn't funny and the animation was kind of lame compared even to Futurama (which is now twenty years old!). Season 2 has picked up much better reviews, so I may try to power through it.

I enjoyed S2 of Disenchantment - it's just helped me get through a rather difficult weekend - but then I also enjoyed S1. Not revolutionary, or hilarious, but for me consistently enjoyable and amusing in its way. I'd rate it higher than the Dragon Prince (though I enjoyed that too).

The Futuruma Easter Eggs were pretty gigantic this time round - I know that because I normally don't notice Easter Eggs until someone else points them out to me. Suspect they were thrown in to delight the serious fans? As Werthead points out, it can't really go any further for licensing reasons. 

eta: 500 posts! Wish it had been to say something a bit more significant. If only I was, as in The Good Place S4...

Spoiler

an elephant made of light that whispers the secrets of the universe to people. Like, maybe think more along the lines of a First-First-First-First-First Mover?  

20 hours ago, Werthead said:

Given that Disenchantment is made by Netflix and Futurama by Fox, I'm not sure legally they can tie the two properties together. Tips of the hat/homages are okay under Fair Use, but legally they can't feature any significant Futurama tie-ins unless they've done some kind of secret deal with Fox behind the scenes.

Yea, I was thinking that too. Like the word Farnsworth may not be copyrighted, however a drawing of the Professor, along with Bender and Fry, definitely is copyrighted and they did appear in season 1 of disencantment. (For a split second, in that time machine the Professor invented in one of those comedy central movies) 

(Btw, I dont think its Fox. Comedy Central bought the rights from Fox like a decade ago and Disney bought Fox a few years back. )

This reminds me of the early 90s Simpsons, and their relentless insults at Fox and Rupert Murdoch. Murdoch decided to sue The Simpsons over this, much to the confusion of his lawyers. When the next season of Simpsons came out there was a clause in the contract that guarantees the Simpsons ability to mock their boss free from repercussions. So in conclusion, who the hell knows what a Matt Groening contract looks like

20 hours ago, Werthead said:

I only got halfway through the first season of Disenchantment before dropping it, as it simply wasn't funny and the animation was kind of lame compared even to Futurama (which is now twenty years old!). Season 2 has picked up much better reviews, so I may try to power through it.

Some episodes are hit and miss in terms of comedy, its not early Simpsons or Futurama, but theres some jokes that will stay with you still. 

I enjoy the animation, specifically when they show the castle from afar

17 hours ago, dog-days said:

I enjoyed S2 of Disenchantment - it's just helped me get through a rather difficult weekend - but then I also enjoyed S1. Not revolutionary, or hilarious, but for me consistently enjoyable and amusing in its way. I'd rate it higher than the Dragon Prince (though I enjoyed that too).

The Futuruma Easter Eggs were pretty gigantic this time round - I know that because I normally don't notice Easter Eggs until someone else points them out to me. Suspect they were thrown in to delight the serious fans? As Werthead points out, it can't really go any further for licensing reasons. 

eta: 500 posts! Wish it had been to say something a bit more significant. If only I was, as in The Good Place S4...

Reveal hidden contents

an elephant made of light that whispers the secrets of the universe to people. Like, maybe think more along the lines of a First-First-First-First-First Mover?  

I thought Dagmar getting Bean to "go the hell to sleep" was pretty hilarious. "Shhhhh Shut up.... Shhhhh Shut up" :laugh:

17 hours ago, dog-days said:

Reveal hidden contents

When you get to 1000 you have to sing the traditional Bad Place song

"1877 Kars for Kids, K.A.R.S kars for kids, 1877..

2 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

When you get to 1000 you have to sing the traditional Bad Place song

"1877 Kars for Kids, K.A.R.S kars for kids, 1877..

May I never ever reach 1000 posts! 

I liked King Zog's "bite my shiny metal axe!"  Plus the design of Steamland - whenever we got a view of the city, I just stared at it through narrowed eyes. I'll just have to compare side-by-side screenshots with the Futurama credits at some point. 

Archived