Kalbear

What shouldn't be done...about climate change

3 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Can someone break down this one a bit more for me?  It sounds like some kid decided that if we put vacuum tubes next to regular style train tracks and then generated a magnetic link between the cargo inside the tubes and the regular train we would somehow get CO2 free transit.  Got to generate the energy for the maglev field somehow.  And getting rid of wind resistance in the vacuum tube doesnt eliminate the energy needed to accelerate the mass within.  Sounds akin to perpetual motion machine.  Why not put the whole train in a vacuum tube?  Which is back to hyperloop 1.0 idea but at least that idea considered thermodynamics.

your summary is fairly accurate.  the idea, best i can tell, doesn't violate thermodynamics, but does have multiple issues.

8 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Lolz.  I m sure its good for his research budget.  The earth had much higher CO2 concentrations in the past and didn't turn into a venusian he ll hole.  I rather doubt plastic straws and gas range tops will kill each and every one of 7 billion+ people.

One small difference: the world rarely has had incredibly rapid increases in CO2 like this. While CO2 has been higher at times, those happened over millions of years. Rapid changes have only occurred from extinction-level events which wiped out most of the life on earth. 

On 11/2/2019 at 10:17 PM, ThinkerX said:

This idea has potential, though there are also significant issues. (assembling trains in freight yards for one)  Be interesting if the kid gets a job offer from Musk.  A new kind of railway system....

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/hyperloop-design-teenager/index.html

What have the people who awarded this with a prize been smoking? That girl obviously knows zero physics. First, I'd really like to know how that "magnetic arm" is supposed to work. Then the thing that makes fast trains (and maglevs) expensive to run is aerodynamic drag. That's why Musk came up with the Hyperloop to begin with. You put the train in vacuum to get rid of the drag. Having a locomotive in vacuum (linked to the train my magic) accomplishes nothing. But hey, she used Autodesk Inventor to make some pretty pictures.

Edited by Loge

5 hours ago, mcbigski said:

The earth had much higher CO2 concentrations in the past and didn't turn into a venusian he ll hole.  I rather doubt plastic straws and gas range tops will kill each and every one of 7 billion+ people.

True.  But a relatively small increase in CO2 (compared with prehistoric levels when everything was different) will result in changes to weather patterns and rising sea levels.   They won't cause the end of the world.  But they will prove rather awkward (already are!) for them pesky little humans - affecting food production and flooding their homes, for example.    That's why we don't want to make things any worse than they already are.

Meanwhile, the plastic straws will eventually be our legacy - tiny traces found in rock strata all over the world by octopoid geologists 20 million years from now.

(Sad) News of the day...

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/21/donald-trump-davos-climate-change-101327

President Donald Trump on Tuesday warned the international community against heeding the advice of environmental activists — dismissing them as fearmongering “prophets of doom” who will cripple global economies and strip away individual liberties in what he described as a misguided mission to save the planet.

“This is not a time for pessimism. This is a time for optimism. Fear and doubt is not a good thought process because this is a time for tremendous hope and joy and optimism and action,” Trump said in his opening address at the World Economic Forum’s annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland.

“But to embrace the possibilities of tomorrow, we must reject the perennial prophets of doom and their predictions of the apocalypse,” he continued. “They are the heirs of yesterday’s foolish fortune tellers. And I have them, and you have them, and we all have them. And they want to see us do badly, but we don’t let that happen.”

All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds, nothing to see here.

58 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

(Sad) News of the day...

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/21/donald-trump-davos-climate-change-101327

All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds, nothing to see here.

Just to be clear that this speech was spouted by Trump but given that he probably doesn't understand the meaning of half the words in it, let us say it was written for Trump to say, much like a trained seal. 

6 hours ago, maarsen said:

Just to be clear that this speech was spouted by Trump but given that he probably doesn't understand the meaning of half the words in it, let us say it was written for Trump to say, much like a trained seal. 

What did trained seals do to you?

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

They made me fetch their balls. 

On 11/14/2019 at 6:28 AM, Essan said:

True.  But a relatively small increase in CO2 (compared with prehistoric levels when everything was different) will result in changes to weather patterns and rising sea levels.   They won't cause the end of the world.  But they will prove rather awkward (already are!) for them pesky little humans - affecting food production and flooding their homes, for example.    That's why we don't want to make things any worse than they already are.

Meanwhile, the plastic straws will eventually be our legacy - tiny traces found in rock strata all over the world by octopoid geologists 20 million years from now.

Should be noted that the sun was much weaker at those points where CO2 levels were much higher. Were CO2 level to get to that point now with the Sun as it is, I don't know about "venusian" But it would make those "damn near tropical rain forest at the poles" days look absolutely frosty by comparison.

On 1/21/2020 at 5:51 PM, Tywin et al. said:

I'm positive he meant to say Walrus.

Walrus, seal, otter.... They all are cousins, but Trumpy is obviously in the blimpy-er side of that family.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I'm positive he meant to say Walrus.

Walrus, seal, otter.... They all are cousins

Don’t let otters hear you say this. They can be touchy about that sort of thing.