US Politics. Trump Crossing the Dnieper. Alea Iacta Est.

A Horse Named Stranger

We'll just wait and see, but the IG at State is an Obama appointee, been at the job since 2013.  Hard to imagine he's going to want to carry Trump and Pompeo's water at this point, given how often they have been shitting on the state department. 

7 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

How great can it be? I dismissed it as drivel based on the headline alone.

Do you know that authors of newspaper columns do NOT write their own headlines? Headlines are written by editors. There have been several times in my career as a newspaper columnist about the innocuous subject of names where a headline written for my column has been misleading or even implied the opposite of what I wrote. The column you are referring to does not just say Republicans shouldn't renominate Trump, which the headline might imply, but that he should be impeached. So I think your judgment may have been premature. 

26 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Well in order to get two full points of movement you have to go back to September 25

That's not what I see.  His approval was at 42.8 on September 29 (Sunday) and went down to 41.5 yesterday (Tuesday).  That's what I meant by a steep drop.  So, no, that's not a week, that's something going on.  I agree that "something" usually will get corrected, but let's wait and see.

Bernie's been hospitalized in Vegas. Not a person I was really rooting for, but still. Hope it's not serious.

Edit: Ah, he's already in recovery. Couple stents put in.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

That's not what I see.  His approval was at 42.8 on September 29 (Sunday) and went down to 41.5 yesterday (Tuesday).  That's what I meant by a steep drop.  So, no, that's not a week, that's something going on.  I agree that "something" usually will get corrected, but let's wait and see.

But his disapproval did not go up by the same amount (it increased only 0.4 points in those two days).  So if you're rounding, sure, it's 2 points, but if you want to see a full two point movement, you need a longer timeframe.  Regardless, this argument is getting tiresome.  We'll wait and see what happens in the next few days of polling. 

Fox is also sort of having an internal civil war on how to address the Ukraine scandal, so I would suggest the response to this crisis is quite different compared to the Mueller report.  Just my feeling of course, but a) they appear to be at least considering a post-Trump reality and b) The involvement here is more direct and harder to explain away.

I also think the new book about Trump's tense week all those months ago ("shoot them in the legs", "moats with snakes and alligators") may have an effect, but these things need to be paced out as a matter of strategy.

1 minute ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Fox is also sort of having an internal civil war on how to address the Ukraine scandal, so I would suggest the response to this crisis is quite different compared to the Mueller report.  Just my feeling of course, but a) they appear to be at least considering a post-Trump reality and b) The involvement here is more direct and harder to explain away. 

But if it comes to a true Fox News vs Fox Opinion showdown, there's little question who will win.  Fox Opinion makes the money and they'll call the shots. 

It is pretty amazing to me that any Republican can say that they want to live in an America where the President can ask a favor of foreign leaders to provide dirt on political opponents.  And all the Republican defenses "it was secondhand!" "no quid pro quo!" totally ignore this.  Of course, a recent poll found that only 40% of Republicans thought that Trump actually brought up Biden in the Ukraine call (this isn't even in question).  So I suppose Republicans are just hoping to obfuscate sufficiently to keep voters uninformed and outraged about other things. 

Well, Fox News - as opposed to Fox Opinion - is pretty important too.  That's when all those soccer moms are watching.  Doubt they spend their evenings gazing at Tucker and Hannity.

Just now, DMC said:

Well, Fox News - as opposed to Fox Opinion - is pretty important too.  That's when all those soccer moms are watching.  Doubt they spend their evenings gazing at Tucker and Hannity.

Sure.  If Fox News starts being more Trump skeptical while Fox Opinion is still on the Trump train, that would indeed be a huge win for America.  But I think that kind of dichotomy isn't sustainable, and that Hannity/Carlson won't put up with Shepard et al marching to a totally different beat.  If it really comes down to which "talent" is replaceable, I think they'll replace the entire news team before they let Hannity and Carlson leave.

2 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Just because it got missed at the bottom of the last page:

Bernie Sanders got a couple of stents put in for a blocked artery after experiencing chest pains. He's cancelled all campaign events for the time being.

Yeah, that's probably the end of Sanders campaign.  He was already struggling, and this is going to make the concerns about his health and staying power that much harder to shake off.  It may not be fair, but then, elections rarely are. 

8 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

How great can it be? I dismissed it as drivel based on the headline alone.

Drivel op-eds get in USA Today and community weeklies. A Times front page editorial like this is usually a good read with some thoughts put into it.:whip:

12 hours ago, DMC said:

Seriously?  It's a half hour conversation condensed to five pages.  I don't care how much translating is going on, there's a hell of a lot more in that call. 

I said I'm sure there is missing content. I just don't know enough about how these conversations usually go to point to the length of time as the indicator of said missing content. It's not a transcript, as we know, so perhaps there was a lot more ass-kissing or awkward pauses, exchanging of recipes, whatever and it got condensed with only the most noteworthy or blatant points being recorded. 

18 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Sure.  If Fox News starts being more Trump skeptical while Fox Opinion is still on the Trump train, that would indeed be a huge win for America.  But I think that kind of dichotomy isn't sustainable, and that Hannity/Carlson won't put up with Shepard et al marching to a totally different beat.  If it really comes down to which "talent" is replaceable, I think they'll replace the entire news team before they let Hannity and Carlson leave.

Up to a point.  Remember when Bill O'Reilly and Glen Beck were the biggest stars on Fox and Megyn Kelly was the next big thing? Hannity and Carlson are valuable to the network, no question.  But if past is prologue, neither will survive outside Fox for very long.  Whereas Chris Wallace could go to CNN if he chooses. 

1 hour ago, JEORDHl said:

Bernie's been hospitalized in Vegas. Not a person I was really rooting for, but still. Hope it's not serious.

Edit: Ah, he's already in recovery. Couple stents put in.

I hope Bernie ends up dropping out and backing Warren. Bernie has been my first choice, but I saw him on his Colbert interview and he just sounded exhausted. And now this. 

Be healthy Bernie. Let someone else carry the torch.

that's probably the end of Sanders campaign.

i must remind comrade sanders of comrade zizek's recitation of the duties laid down by the secretary general:

the Communists are 'men of iron will,' somehow excluded from the everyday cycle of ordinary human passions and weakness. It is as if they are 'the living dead', still alive but already excluded from the ordinary cycle of natural forces - as if, that is, they possess another body, the sublime body beyond the ordinary physical body

His health isn't good enough to carry the stress of the office.  He should drop out.

Nearly impossible though, for men like him, to admit they aren't young anymore, if so many of the men I know well are anything by which to make that judgment call.  They will drive even though they are essentially blind, and all the rest of it -- thereby putting many other people at risk as well as themselves. :dunno:

I am sorry though, that he's having to go through this.  It is very painful, again judging by people I know who have had this procedure due to the chest pains.  "Chest pain" is almost too innocuous as a descriptor of the agony.

Fox dragged behind the base on Trump during the primary and when the base picked him and he bullied Fox they fell into line. It won't necessarily translate into the base abandoning him even if Fox do turn on him.

40 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Fox dragged behind the base on Trump during the primary and when the base picked him and he bullied Fox they fell into line. It won't necessarily translate into the base abandoning him even if Fox do turn on him.

That's what I was thinking too. Although back then, Trump was the new hotness, now he's starting to get played out. For all the bluster, his fans have had doubts about him and moments of disagreement. If Fox isn't covering for him 24/7, who knows how many might get their doubts magnified enough not to canvas and put up signs, or even note to vote. (Basically, take that one woman interviewed being shocked to learn that the Mueller Report didn't clear Trump because all she'd ever done is watch right wing media and multiply it throughout the country.)

Archived