US Politics. Trump Crossing the Dnieper. Alea Iacta Est.

A Horse Named Stranger

10 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

So we have to wait until he does this to say it's a problem? The fucker is flirting with it closer and closer everyday. Besides, Mr. Rhetoric, the point wasn't what Trump tweeted. The point was about the definition of treason. Go lick some more boots.

Wow, you really specialize in straw-men and ad hominem arguments don't you?

My point was to keep the focus on his deeds rather than his words as the basis for demonstrating his impeachable conduct.  Obstruction of justice principally, but also the recent reports of his orders to the Secretary of Homeland Security to break the law by shooting down drones and shooting migrants.  These illegal orders are a legitimate basis to impeach Trump, are indefensible, and cannot be characterized rhetoric.  

There's a reason for my advocating this approach and it's not because I need to be convinced that Trump is worthy of impeachment.  It's because your audience are Republican senators who have many political incentives to defend Trump.  They also have countervailing political considerations, have sworn oaths to uphold the Constitution, and some are on the verge of retirement and will feel free to act in accordance with their consciences.  Even if Trump is not removed via impeachment, the weight of condemnation (and political impact) will be gauged in large part by how many Republican senators vote against him or abstain.  Just, btw, as in the Clinton impeachment, Feingold and Lieberman become the focus of the media's attention. 

9 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Gerard Butler gets called an eternal badass, but every time I kick a motherfucker into my death pit I get called a murderer. Sexism at its finest.

That’s because Butler had the decency not to make them put the lotion on their skin again.  

Anybody else see this pop up today? Burkman and Wohl, the two Republican dinguses who tried to smear Robert Mueller with a laughably harebrained sexual assault scandal, are now claiming that they've got a 24 year old Marine who's been having an affair with Elizabeth Warren.

They've got a news conference scheduled in mere hours!

ETA: It's too fucking on the nose that these numbfucks don't know the word "conscience."

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Just watched Trump 1) answer yesterday’s Reuter’s question that he refused to answer, what did you expect from the Ukraine, by admitting he was expecting the Ukraine to investigate the Bidens, and 2) ask China to investigate the Bidens.

I’m telling you, been saying for weeks I want to get Trump t-shirts made saying ‘I didn’t do it, and I’d do it again!’

33 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I’m telling you, been saying for weeks I want to get Trump t-shirts made saying ‘I didn’t do it, and I’d do it again!’

And he does do it again!

Can articles of impeachment include one for demonstrating unplumbed depths of stupidity? This goes right along with the envelope of foney conspiracy theories that Giuliani so very thoughtfully provided to the DOJ to investigate in terms of the Bidens et al.  What happens when people live in fantasy land and nowhere else for decades.  (It looks as though this applies to a vast portion of the entire country, which we've been spreading all over the globe, thank you Putin.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-calls-for-china-to-investigate-bidens/2019/10/03/f717705c-e5ee-11e9-b0a6-3d03721b85ef_story.html

...President Donald Trump Thursday called on another nation to probe former Vice President Joe Biden: China.

“China should start an investigation into the Bidens,” Trump said in remarks to reporters outside the White House. Trump said he hadn’t directly asked Chinese President Xi Jinping to investigate Biden and his son Hunter but said it’s “certainly something we could start thinking about....”

I was curious to see what the hell this claim of Trump’s was all about, the one where he says Joe Biden ‘shook down the Chinese for $1.5 B, the crooks, and we’re going to find out he shook down other countries, lots of countries, too!’

Turns out that in 2013 Biden went to China, taking his granddaughter with him. Since she couldn’t be left alone when Biden was doing other things, Hunter also came. At one point during the trip Biden introduced his son to a well-known Chinese financier, in a hotel lobby. They chatted. It’s been reported Hunter did no business meetings while in China.

Before he went to China, Hunter and a friend started a new investment company which was meant to be a vehicle to attract Chinese money.  Their goal was to raise $1.5 B from Chinese investors. Hunter was never paid by the company and never took cash out of the company. After his father’s term was over, Hunter bought a 10% stake in the company, for $420,000. By my math that means the company raised all of $4.2 M from investors, not exactly meeting their goal of $1.5 B.

While it seems really stupid for Hunter to get involved in places like the Ukraine and China while his father was VP, I am beginning to have a lot more sympathy for Biden’s demand that the media not give publicity to Trump’s ridiculous claims. Calling the Biden family crooks who shook down China for $1.5 B is outrageously ridiculous, and is being eaten up by the right.

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

I was curious to see what the hell this claim of Trump’s was all about, the one where he says Joe Biden ‘shook down the Chinese for $1.5 B, the crooks, and we’re going to find out he shook down other countries, lots of countries, too!’

Turns out that in 2013 Biden went to China, taking his granddaughter with him. Since she couldn’t be left alone when Biden was doing other things, Hunter also came. At one point during the trip Biden introduced his son to a well-known Chinese financier, in a hotel lobby. They chatted. It’s been reported Hunter did no business meetings while in China.

Before he went to China, Hunter and a friend started a new investment company which was meant to be a vehicle to attract Chinese money.  Their goal was to raise $1.5 B from Chinese investors. Hunter was never paid by the company and never took cash out of the company. After his father’s term was over, Hunter bought a 10% stake in the company, for $420,000. By my math that means the company raised all of $4.2 M from investors, not exactly meeting their goal of $1.5 B.

While it seems really stupid for Hunter to get involved in places like the Ukraine and China while his father was VP, I am beginning to have a lot more sympathy for Biden’s demand that the media not give publicity to Trump’s ridiculous claims. Calling the Biden family crooks who shook down China for $1.5 B is outrageously ridiculous, and is being eaten up by the right.

This.  It's not really a win-win for Trump though.  He's the Republican nominee and reducing Biden's chances of being a competitive nominee in the general election is not necessarily going to help him.  I think this will help Warren and other Democrats who clearly intend to legislate against such conflict of interest behavior as part of a broader ethics package. 

38 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

The usual course of Trump scandals

- Deny

- Admit it but say it is not illegal or unethical

- Wildly throw accusations at others which in no way mitigate the original charges

- Repeat the transgression on national TV

I broke this down in the last thread and you clearly missed step 2: continue to deny you took said action, but suggest that if you did it’s totally appropriate.

Like, they’re getting really lazy at this point.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

Anybody else see this pop up today? Burkman and Wohl, the two Republican dinguses who tried to smear Robert Mueller with a laughably harebrained sexual assault scandal, are now claiming that they've got a 24 year old Marine who's been having an affair with Elizabeth Warren.

ETA: It's too fucking on the nose that these numbfucks don't know the word "conscience."

Don't they realize that this makes Elizabeth Warren come across as a hot babe? 

So is the Jacefication of US politics finally upon us?

Warren having orgies with US marines in their twenties (good for her btw), while everybody else is playing fury road out there? While we all know, that Bruce Wayne is Batman, I think I also have a pretty good idea, who is wearing the mask of Warren (mask of Warren sounds like an awesome Indiana Jones like c-movie).

Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh, you touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.

Your civilization is based on technology of the mass media. Our technology. By using it, your civilization develops along the paths we desire. We impose order on the chaos of organic life. You exist because we allow It, and you will end because we demand it.

I am the vanguard of your destruction.

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Of course they don’t know the word, or even the concept. At least one of them is so blatantly corrupt he got banned from Wall Street, you mentioned the Mueller thing, and I think that they also tried to get someone to make up a fake Roy Moore sexual abuse story so that when the media picked it up they could shout “Gotcha!”

Except WaPo investigated, found the story wasn’t credible, refused to publish it, and then uncovered their little scheme afterward. Couple of assholic dim bulbs.

3 hours ago, Morpheus said:

The usual course of Trump scandals

- Deny

- Admit it but say it is not illegal or unethical

- Wildly throw accusations at others which in no way mitigate the original charges

- Repeat the transgression on national TV

Here’s the whole Circle of Trump, in comic form:

https://i.imgur.com/dMOfgN9.png

Archived