Queries for GRRM

Anthony Appleyard

Is anyone making a list of queries that they would like GRRM to answer? E.g.:

(1) Westeros money :: "how many of each in each" relationship between a golden dragon and a silver stag and the small coins and etc. E,g, how many silver stags make a golden dragon?

(2) Which hour in the o'clock sense are the hour of the bat / wolf / nightingale / etc? :: see https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Named_hours

(3)What is the intended scale of the canon maps of Westeros and Essos?

(4) Any more ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 10:03 PM, Anthony Appleyard said:

Westeros money :: "how many of each in each" relationship between a golden dragon and a silver stag and the small coins and etc. E,g, how many silver stags make a golden dragon?

There is info from the RPG, which may not be completely accurate, but might be good enough for generalizations. 

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Currency

Which hour in the o'clock sense are the hour of the bat / wolf / nightingale / etc?

There only seems to be 6 hours. So it might be something like this. 

Eel 1-4
Nightingale 5-8  
Bat 9-12  
Ghost 13-16  
Owl 17-20  
Wolf 21-24  

What is the intended scale of the canon maps of Westeros and Essos?

The Wall is supposedly 300 miles across, so that is the scale usually used to determine distances. 

Though there is the possibility that the Wall has already been partially destroyed in the past, similar to what we see in the show. Making it not 300 miles anymore as everyone assumes.  

If for instance it once extended all the way to Skagos the Wall might now be closer to 175 miles in length. 

Any more ideas?

I'd probably want to know if the moon was actually a hole in the sky, perhaps covered in ice. 

The moon was a black hole in the sky.

A direct answer would fuel a lot of other tinfoil or keep me from wasting time on it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have plenty of questions I'd like to ask him, but I hear he is loathe to provide info that ruins some of the mysteries of his universe, still, I'd probably ask him if there's any truth to the idea that the Starks have the blood of the Others in their veins, and if the GEOTD = first dragon riders theory holds merit. I'd also like to ask him if we'll ever explore Sothoryos or Ulthos, and if we'll ever get a glimpse of Valyria or Asshai before their respective dooms

• 2 months later...

Another query would be: Where is the Pepper Coast? https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Pepper_Coast

Order of the hours of the night: "Fire and Blood" says somewhere that the sun had set and the hour of the bat was at hand.  That may show that the hour of the bat started at sunset.

One of the books says that the hour of the wolf is the darkest part of the night. Thus around midnight?

• 2 weeks later...

Questions I'd ask:

- I read in an interview that you said you are writing a story where decisions have consequences and no one is safe (x). As an example you talked about how Robb breaking his word had consequences and Tyrion's big mouth caused him to look guilty in his trial. These consequences seem disastrous enough to blow up in a person's face. What are some consequences that Daenerys has experienced because of her decisions? 

- I read in a fan report (x) where you were quoted as saying that ASOIAF is not influenced by American history. Is this true, and if so, does that mean the American story of immigration is not relevant to the story as well? What about American slavery?

- What did you like about Lord of Light so much? Are Valyrians and Targaryens modeled after the Earth colonists in the book who conquered indigenous people on another planet?

- Why is Davos the only native Westerosi POV who isn't a noble?

- If a character is offered a book and declines to read it, is that symbolically important? For instance Arianne doesn't read the history of House Toland when offered. Dany is given books as a wedding gift but doesn't finish them as far as we know. Are these tests you're putting your characters through to see if they pass?

- Are you drawing any distinguishing difference between a religion and a cult, in your novels?

- Do people really wake up on a Tuesday and commit a heroic act and the next day wake up and commit a horrific act? (x) Is this true of the average person who is just trying to muddle through? Isn't this more applicable for political players and for the purposes of drama?

Archived