Is it time for re-read?

A Bong of Ice and Fire

I read books 1-3 four times each, and books 4-5 two times each.  However it's probably been over 5 years since my last reading.  I was thinking of re-reading books 1-5 before book 6 comes out.   But when to start?  Is it time now?

I want to wash out the horrible taste of GoT seasons 7&8 from my being, and a re-read could help do that.  However I don't want to put the energy into a re-read only to end up waiting several more years for book 6.

What say you?

Maybe you can think of a new, slow way to do a re-read. 

I was thinking about organizing a book group at my local library to tackle the novels one at a time. Introduce show-only fans to the books and/or band together with fans of the books to peel away some layers and look for deeper meaning. I know I can put together discussion points if the group plans to break the novels into chunks each week. Or a different person in the group might be responsible for preparing discussion questions each week. 

If we run out of the ASOIAF novels before the next book arrives, we can tackle Dunk & Egg and the histories. 

Of course, I may be sitting alone in a circle of chairs in the basement of the library, eating cookies and drinking coffee by myself while contemplating the complexities of plot and character of which this online forum never tires. Sort of like Ned having visions in the dungeon of the Red Keep except with fluorescent lighting. 

2 hours ago, A Bong of Ice and Fire said:

I want to wash out the horrible taste of GoT seasons 7&8 from my being, and a re-read could help do that.  However I don't want to put the energy into a re-read only to end up waiting several more years for book 6.

I am planning to re-read it once GRRM announces the release date.

How will you feel if you do a reread and book 6 is never released (let alone book 7)?

Myself, I might do a quick reread but only after book 6 is released and if the reviews are good.  In the meantime, there are plenty of other good books to read IMO.

It's always time for a re-read. I've had the books about three years now, and am on my sixth or seventh re-read already. If you think you got everything out of the books in your paltry two or three reads, you are fooling yourself ;)

2 hours ago, Raebo said:

there are plenty of other good books to read IMO.

Meh, I used to think so too, but since I started this series, everything else has been disappointing.

Man, we need a read. The next two books read, about which I am getting sceptical. Had to say this first.

And for a re-read, sure, if you don't have anything better to read at the moment, you should do it. 

I never re-read the whole series, but some of the chapters I like, I did. The good thing is that you don't have to read chapters you don't want to at the moment, and focus on something you wanna know more about. To me, Bran's chapters are amazing, so the last time I read ASOIAF were those. 

as Rufus properly stated - always time for a re-read ... i totally recommend it. 

and if you are looking for a totally awesome re-read - read by character - for example read all of Jaime's chapters first, then move on to Arya.  something like that.

SEAMS - i would love to join your book group in the library :) 

On 9/29/2019 at 3:37 PM, Seams said:

Maybe you can think of a new, slow way to do a re-read. 

I was thinking about organizing a book group at my local library to tackle the novels one at a time. Introduce show-only fans to the books and/or band together with fans of the books to peel away some layers and look for deeper meaning. I know I can put together discussion points if the group plans to break the novels into chunks each week. Or a different person in the group might be responsible for preparing discussion questions each week. 

If we run out of the ASOIAF novels before the next book arrives, we can tackle Dunk & Egg and the histories. 

Of course, I may be sitting alone in a circle of chairs in the basement of the library, eating cookies and drinking coffee by myself while contemplating the complexities of plot and character of which this online forum never tires. Sort of like Ned having visions in the dungeon of the Red Keep except with fluorescent lighting. 

I want to come!!

On 9/30/2019 at 1:38 AM, Yaya said:

and if you are looking for a totally awesome re-read - read by character - for example read all of Jaime's chapters first, then move on to Arya. 

Yes, this!! You can get so much out of the books by reading character arcs’ individually. I’ve done an Arya reread three times already, and a Bran and a Brienne reread too. Amazing stuff has come up.

I’m currently rereading AGOT at a very slow pace trying to really dig in into symbollism that is reinforced between different characters, and contradictions between the POVs. Another great journey.

10 hours ago, Lady Dacey said:

You can get so much out of the books by reading character arcs’ individually.

i also enjoyed the time lapse/frames with each individual pov - it gives a good 'feeling' of the time between events/interactions with other characters.  

if you are able to, print a chapter out on 8x5 to make notes or whatnot in the margins :)

Archived