NFL 2019: After A Quarter, Are They Who We Thought They Were?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

10 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I have a question that this raised.

Do any of you all know if there's been good analysis from FO or anywhere on to what extent does a mobile QB mitigate a weak o-line?  

I would have to imagine that it must to some degree.  But at the same time, the passing game is only a part of the game and even a really mobile QB cannot usually do much damage downfield if their o-line sucks.  I'd be curious what the split is on this.

A related question:  can a team be good with an awful o-line as Tywin suggests?  I realize he might just mean "good everywhere else," but are there any instances that show up in the stats where o-line was a particularly weak unit and yet the team overcame and thrived?  

Many Peyton Manning O-lines after the Colts' superbowl win were extremely bad both in Denver and Indy but he overcame that with a quick release and good play management. Similarly Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson's greatness came in spite of their O-lines, as both had the uncoachable ability to keep their eyes downfield looking for a play while navigating shitty pockets.

I don't have any articles of the type you've requested on hand, but I can tell you as someone who has seen a fuckload of football that it is possible. It just puts a massive burden on the QB. And while being mobile helps, I think the real factor is that ability to keep your attention focused on pushing the ball downfield while having an almost preternatural ability to know how up to a dozen large men in your immediate vicinity are moving without looking directly at them.

10 hours ago, Triskele said:

Do any of you all know if there's been good analysis from FO or anywhere on to what extent does a mobile QB mitigate a weak o-line?  

I would have to imagine that it must to some degree.  But at the same time, the passing game is only a part of the game and even a really mobile QB cannot usually do much damage downfield if their o-line sucks.  I'd be curious what the split is on this.

Odd that you phrase it that way because I actually believe the reverse to be true.  I believe a mobile qb helps the running game more than the passing game.  With zone read and RPOs, a mobile quarterback demands that at least one athletic defender be devoted to containing the quarterback.  This helps both the run and the pass, but is more crucial in the run, because pass defense can choose to have the holes further downfield, with the hope that the pass rush will get home before those areas are truly vulnerable.  In contrast in the running game, if you have a gap free, it's free, and if linebackers have to wait a bit longer to ensure who has the ball, that half step can easily be the difference between a 2 yard run and a 5 yarder. 

I think the best examples of this were the early Russell Wilson Seahawks teams (which had a pretty average O line but led the league in rushing multiple times) and RG3's rookie year, where a totally mediocre O line was still able to open holes for Alfred Morris to get 1,600 yards.  Now, defenses have adjusted to the zone read to some extent, but it's also just that offenses have moved away from it because they can see how many shots their qbs take.  Even huge guys like Newton and Luck can't sustain it for long.  But IMO, the strategy can still work, and we're seeing similar things from Lamar Jackson.

34 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Odd that you phrase it that way because I actually believe the reverse to be true.  I believe a mobile qb helps the running game more than the passing game.  With zone read and RPOs, a mobile quarterback demands that at least one athletic defender be devoted to containing the quarterback.  This helps both the run and the pass, but is more crucial in the run, because pass defense can choose to have the holes further downfield, with the hope that the pass rush will get home before those areas are truly vulnerable.  In contrast in the running game, if you have a gap free, it's free, and if linebackers have to wait a bit longer to ensure who has the ball, that half step can easily be the difference between a 2 yard run and a 5 yarder. 

I think the best examples of this were the early Russell Wilson Seahawks teams (which had a pretty average O line but led the league in rushing multiple times) and RG3's rookie year, where a totally mediocre O line was still able to open holes for Alfred Morris to get 1,600 yards.  Now, defenses have adjusted to the zone read to some extent, but it's also just that offenses have moved away from it because they can see how many shots their qbs take.  Even huge guys like Newton and Luck can't sustain it for long.  But IMO, the strategy can still work, and we're seeing similar things from Lamar Jackson.

This begs an additional question though. Should unplanned QB rushes count towards the run game or the pass game?

36 minutes ago, The Last Storm said:

I have a feeling the Vikes are gonna make Danny Dimes look like a rookie today. First actually defense he is facing. Still no Barkley, but we get Tate back. Cook will most likely shred us. Only hope is if Kirk is bad Kirk today.

He looked like a rookie vs Washington. They of the Manusky 'defense'. I expect the Vikings to make him look like a Duke QB who got over-drafted as fuck. 

5 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

He looked like a rookie vs Washington. They of the Manusky 'defense'. I expect the Vikings to make him look like a Duke QB who got over-drafted as fuck. 

No, Haskins looked like a rookie. I’m not enshrining Jones yet but through two games he’s exceeded expectations. Like I said today will be a good test.

1 hour ago, The Last Storm said:

No, Haskins looked like a rookie. I’m not enshrining Jones yet but through two games he’s exceeded expectations. Like I said today will be a good test.

Yeah. The back-to-back ints were bad, but he was fine beside that. 

Just beat Rhodes over the top. Missed Shepard wide the fuck open earlier though.

5 minutes ago, briantw said:

Mason Rudolph just got murdered. 

Seriously, I thought Earl Thomas killed him. The way Rudolph fell and was clearly out, I thought he broke his neck. Thank God he's conscious and was able to walk off the field. How the FUCK did Thomas not get ejected????

Archived