NFL 2019: After A Quarter, Are They Who We Thought They Were?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

2 minutes ago, Trebla said:

Seriously, I thought Earl Thomas killed him. The way Rudolph fell and was clearly out, I thought he broke his neck. Thank God he's conscious and was able to walk off the field. How the FUCK did Thomas not get ejected????

It wasn't a dirty hit imo.  Rudolph got hit from behind which shoved him down into Thomas' helmet.  

But yeah he got legit knocked out.  Reminded me of watching a UFC fight when someone gets clocked and just goes limp.

8 minutes ago, briantw said:

It wasn't a dirty hit imo.  Rudolph got hit from behind which shoved him down into Thomas' helmet.  

Yeah, I don't think so. 

He's gonna get some games off. 

ETA: But should point out he DID get a personal foul. 

20 minutes ago, Trebla said:

Seriously, I thought Earl Thomas killed him. The way Rudolph fell and was clearly out, I thought he broke his neck. Thank God he's conscious and was able to walk off the field. How the FUCK did Thomas not get ejected????

That wasn't a dirty hit. He was going in for the chest, Rudoph got hit from behind after Thomas was already committed.

It's a dangerous game.

3 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

That wasn't a dirty hit. He was going in for the chest, Rudoph got hit from behind after Thomas was already committed.

It's a dangerous game.

I guess we are seeing two different things. What I'm seeing is Thomas launching himself with his head lowered before Brandon Carr hit Rudolph from behind. 

20 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Let's give Lamar Jackson the ball to start overtime. Fucking Tomlin.

E: Well I guess it worked.

In his defense, trying to play field position with your 3rd string QB instead of potentially giving the ball back to Baltimore near midfield needing only 3 to win isn't an indefensible line of thought.

3 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

In his defense, trying to play field position with your 3rd string QB instead of potentially giving the ball back to Baltimore near midfield needing only 3 to win isn't an indefensible line of thought.

True. My first thought was just of Jackson breaking off a 75 yard run for a TD on the first play, which was why I didn't like the idea. They kept him pretty well in check, but it only takes an opening with his speed and would've fallen in line with a Tomlin decision backfiring spectacularly. 

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Gruden out and... Bill Callahan in as interim coach.  How do these retreads just keep cropping up over and over?!!?

Not only was Jay Gruden fired, but found out at a 5:00 am in-person meeting this morning at the team facility.  :lol:  Who the fuck does that? 

Just now, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Not only was Jay Gruden fired, but found out at a 5:00 am in-person meeting this morning at the team facility.  :lol:  Who the fuck does that? 

If I get summoned for a 5 AM meeting for what I know will be my firing, I'm just not showing up. What are they gonna do...fire me? 

If Cleveland wins tonight, then the Pats will be the only undefeated team left in the NFL and defending Superbowl Champs.  

And if you listen to some of the people out here you would think the Pats haven't had a winning season since 1982.  Brady threw for 350 yards, 3 TDs; Michel had a 5.7 y/carry, the D played completely insane for all but one play, and Edelman had 100 yards in the air.  So, obviously, the sky is falling.   

Never has a 26-point win seemed so catastrophic.  The Pats sucked so bad Washington fired Jay Gruden.  And in some sinister way, that makes perfect sense.  Daniel Snider (is that how you spell it?) must have been half-jacking off to only be down by 5 after 2 that he may have toyed with the idea of holding onto the most Washington head coach imaginable: that MAYBE he should hold onto the only HC in Snider's tenure to put together back-to-back winning seasons yet only make it to the playoffs once in 5+ seasons.  The team this season had a starting QB problem that seemed to end with Colt McCoy being "the guy."  That's a level of dysfunction that's almost unheard of even in Washington. 

Almost.

And yet "only down by 5" must have made Gruden think, "I may actually have a job tomorrow."  And he may have said that in one of two ways- hopefull or maybe shaking with fear and despair as he gazes into the maw that must be the dystopian hell-hole of working for Dan Snider.  Either way, really.  

But, nope, that plucky group of barely serviceable players somehow managed to beat a 0-5 team.  The Pats are on borrowed time.  Or at least they seem to be if you listen to the media here.  

I hate this season.  

What else is going on:

-So, the Pats got a break last night as the only other serviceable team in the AFC lost to ... maybe the NEXT almost serviceable team in the AFC.  The Chiefs looked like poo for much the game as the game-plan of "Just have Mahomes chuck it up there" didn't pay off in the end.  Last week v the Lions it ALMOST didn't work, but this week it flat out did not work.  They are still, easily, the scariest O in the NFL.  But they lost because ... No idea.  I watched the whole game, no idea why they lost. 

Also, Travis Kelce is a fucking bitch.  Does he EVER get up after an incompletion and NOT claim there was PI?  Then gets into it- after like a quarter - with his OC?  (btw- not lost on me that this is how Brady reacts to most everything).  What an overrated shit bird.  I swear to God, Travis Kelce is a walking definition of "white privilege."  Guys in this league each shit for all sorts of things... but this white-bread baby who bemoans everything and plays like a prima donna is NEVER given 1/10th the shit that OBJ gets.  And I honestly think its because ESPN and the networks cut certain white players more slack.  

Anyway, my FAVORITE part of the KC game was when Mahomes was hurt - LET ME FINISH - when Mahomes limped to the sidelines aftera  3-and-out in his own end zone and like 4 guys help him off the field and three rainers run out to meet him etc... 

... and there is a half-dead KC O-line man kneeling in utter agony two feet away that EVERYONE IS IGNORING!  What a great moment.  Your life is shit, fatso.  Rub some dirt on it.  Unless you can throw for 300 yards and 3 TDs every week, you might as well be one of those invisible children in China.  

-Maybe all of the Bengals' problems were NOT just Marvin Lewis.  

- The Texans scored 53 points and look amazing.  Their divisional loss to the Pats is going to be heartbreaking for them. 

-Colts and NO are both doing phenomenal without their marquee QBs.  I don't quite get it- Bridgewater is clearly better than your average back up QB and I have always loved Brissett, but its still a little strange that both those teams are playing so well.  

-So, strangely, this was not Khalil Mack's revenge game; it was Gruden's

-I stand corrected; I think the Ravens are a legit team in the AFC as well.  They always are.  Those fucking assholes always are... 

Anway, Pats have a short week; play the Giants on Thursday.  I just hope the Pats can somehow manage to not humiliate themselves with another barely passable 26-point win.  Show some professionalism... 

4 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

If I get summoned for a 5 AM meeting for what I know will be my firing, I'm just not showing up. What are they gonna do...fire me? 

Just want to point out that when Wade Philips was HC of the Broncos in the 90s he was almost assuredly going to be fired after the end of a poor season.  When his assistant told him he was late for a meeting with the owner (the meeting where he was going to be fired) he supposedly said, "So what if I'm late; what are they going to do, fire me?"  

Jay Gruden may have just wanted to get it over with.  Honestly- he gets paid for the next 18 months as if he were a head coach but does not actually have to be one.  

And DC's statement about the firing didn't even TRY to sound comforting like "Thank you for your service."  They just treated the guy like... like... like somebody who was being fired by Dan Snider... 

Archived