NFL 2019: After A Quarter, Are They Who We Thought They Were?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

37 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

McGlinchey’s also out 4-6. So our acknowledged lowest depth spot we’re gonna be running with back-ups for the foreseeable future. 4-1 is sounding good. 

You guys have had a great start for a wild card. Have to say I think Seattle will win the division and you guys and the Rams will be fighting for the wild cards.

14 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'd blame the team for signing him if he was that offensive to you.

Honestly this "we are mortally offended that this guy danced/stood/spiked on our precious patch of grass" thing from sports fans is pretty silly.

Thank god he didn’t have long dreads, least he wanted a sternly written letter from an old Penn St. alum who totally wasn’t being racist….

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Thank god he didn’t have long dreads, least he wanted a sternly written letter from an old Penn St. alum who totally wasn’t being racist….

Oh man, I saw that story. It really should have gotten an official response from the team: "We'd like you to know some asshole has been signing your name to stupid letters."

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

Oh man, I saw that story. It really should have gotten an official response from the team: "We'd like you to know some asshole has been signing your name to stupid letters."

I think they kind of sort of did. I know the coach spoke out about it. It was so absurd. It's still not the best one though. I love the one where the mother told her 9 year old to look away from Cam dancing and watch the cheerleaders instead. Because, ya know, watching a fully clothed black man dance for five seconds is way worse than watching some sexualized women's T&A spilling out of their stripper outfits for three plus hours.

Hard to say because it was a single game sample, but Brady is showing signs of being washed. I don’t think he’ll Peyton Manning this season, but it’s clear he can’t throw deep with any reliability and his spirals were not tight at all. His pocket presence was also surprisingly bad, and that’s been one of his low key best skills. I’m kind of shocked that the Vikings looked so much better against the Giants than the Pats.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hard to say because it was a single game sample, but Brady is showing signs of being washed. I don’t think he’ll Peyton Manning this season, but it’s clear he can’t throw deep with any reliability and his spirals were not tight at all. His pocket presence was also surprisingly bad, and that’s been one of his low key best skills. I’m kind of shocked that the Vikings looked so much better against the Giants than the Pats.

It was a very windy game, but yes, Brady did not look good.  The offense looked out of sync all night against a middling-at-best Giants defense. 

It would be pretty funny if end the end both Manning and Brady end their careers being dragged to a SB victory by a dominant defense.  But it's looking very possible.  Brady isn't quite at Manning's level of noodle arm yet, but there's a lot of season left and those hits add up. 

Just now, DanteGabriel said:

I think it's a combination of physical skills eroding and just being jumpy because his protection is unreliable and he doesn't trust anyone besides Edelman.

His protection was fine.  The Giants pass rush was pretty unimpressive last night. 

15 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It was a very windy game, but yes, Brady did not look good.  The offense looked out of sync all night against a middling-at-best Giants defense. 

It would be pretty funny if end the end both Manning and Brady end their careers being dragged to a SB victory by a dominant defense.  But it's looking very possible.  Brady isn't quite at Manning's level of noodle arm yet, but there's a lot of season left and those hits add up. 

Yeah, I get the wind was a factor, but that’s also kind of the point. His arm strength is in clear decline which means they’ll have to rely even more on the short passing game. I can’t look now, but I’m curious what the average air travel distance (or whatever that stat is called) is.

And yeah, the Pats’ D can win it alone. They’ve scored more TDs (5) than they’ve allowed (3).

6 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

I was reading a Jay Glazer column where he pointed out that, at one point, Snyder had John Schneider at GM (Seattle's current very good GM) and Marty Schottenheimer as his coach, and he fired them both to hire Steve Spurrier. They are MIND-BOGGLING.

8 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I was reading a Jay Glazer column where he pointed out that, at one point, Snyder had John Schneider at GM (Seattle's current very good GM) and Marty Schottenheimer as his coach, and he fired them both to hire Steve Spurrier. They are MIND-BOGGLING.

The amount of coaching/front office talent the Skins have had at various times over the years is just insane. 3 HoF coaches, 2 brilliant Seattle talent evaluators, Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan, Matt LaFleur.

It's instructive that it none of it ever ends up remotely mattering when you have the worst owner in professional sports. They'll inevitably fail in Washington; they'll get smeared on the way out and then they'll go somewhere more functional and will finally have the chance to perform to their actual abilities. 

I was laughing at Matthew Berry's feverish campaign to get Bruce Allen fired. Yeah, that'll fix everything....

31 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

The amount of coaching/front office talent the Skins have had at various times over the years is just insane. 3 HoF coaches, 2 brilliant Seattle talent evaluators, Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan, Matt LaFleur.

How ‘bout that Jay Gruden coaching tree?

Also, welcome to “we’re still technically champions” sphere of hell by citing a WNBA champion. We had a dynasty!!!

6 hours ago, Maithanet said:

His protection was fine.  The Giants pass rush was pretty unimpressive last night. 

I actually thought the Giants front was decent yesterday. Not dominating but they made Brady rush some and got to him 3 times. I’m also just comparing it to last year when NY had basically no pass rush the entire season.

No surprise that Jones had his worst game yet. All 3 of his ints were brutal, and he could’ve had a few more. Schedule gets easier now so hopefully he’ll turn things around some.

It’s plain silly to doubt Pats at this point, but they obviously need more playmakers on offense. 

7 hours ago, Jaime L said:

It's instructive that it none of it ever ends up remotely mattering when you have the worst owner in professional sports. They'll inevitably fail in Washington; they'll get smeared on the way out and then they'll go somewhere more functional and will finally have the chance to perform to their actual abilities. 

I was laughing at Matthew Berry's feverish campaign to get Bruce Allen fired. Yeah, that'll fix everything....

I thought this was WILD. Not that Allen is necessarily any good, but come on! "I really think he wants to win - he's just been bamboozled by Bruce Allen!" If you can be duped that easily by Bruce Allen, first, that's not a great sign; second, it's not like the organizational dysfunction started with this guy.

The line about preferring to root for teams he'd drafted than ones Bruce Allen drafted was kind of funny though.

Archived