NFL 2019: After A Quarter, Are They Who We Thought They Were?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

I'm not saying the season is over for LAR.  But it is looking a lot more likely than not that they miss the playoffs.  Looking pretty likely it'll be SF/SEA in NFCW and then two NFC North teams.  Football Outsiders gives them a 1 in 4 chance of making the playoffs, which sounds about right to me. 

17 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'm not saying the season is over for LAR.  But it is looking a lot more likely than not that they miss the playoffs.  Looking pretty likely it'll be SF/SEA in NFCW and then two NFC North teams.  Football Outsiders gives them a 1 in 4 chance of making the playoffs, which sounds about right to me. 

Maybe.  But i think the NFC North is too strong to generate more than one team better than 9-7.  I see the Rams getting to 10-6 with Falcons, Bengals, 2 Arizona games remaining as probable wins and splitting @PIT, CHI, @SF, SEA, BAL, @DAL.  It is true they have found three different ways to lose so far - shootout with Jameis (doesn't happen with Ramsey up to speed), nail-biter @SEA and no offense vs SF.

Ramsay, in a vacuum, is worth two 1st round picks. But this isn't a vacuum. The Rams need to fix their line more so than upgrade their secondary. The best argument I've seen for acquiring Ramsay is that he loves to play man, which Phillips also does, while Peters was totally unable to do so, causing the team to half to run schemes more favorable to him, especially when Talib wasn't on the field. I guess getting him does fix something, but the price was too high. If the Eagles had made the same trade, I think most people would be praising them because their secondary is garbage. 

That said, what really makes this trade make no sense are the financials. By trading two first rounders, you give Ramsay all the leverage in negotiating a new deal as no team would be dumb enough to let a guy walk who they just paid such a heavy price for. Ramsay is arguably the best DB in the league and he's going to want to be paid like it. It's very possible that two of the four highest salaried defensive players will be on the Rams. Moreover, their cap situation in general looks bleak. The 2020 salary cap will be roughly $200m. Next year the Rams will have the most expensive player in the league (Goff) and the most expensive RB (Gurley). Those two plus Donald will account for nearly 40% of their cap space next year, and if we assume Ramsay becomes the highest paid DB (currently it's $18,671,000.00), the Rams will have close to half of their salary devoted to four players (I know they can do some tinkering, but still, it's going to be at least 40% when all is said a done). That's terrifying in it's own right, but it gets even worse when you consider that one of those four players is broken and the other is the most overrated at his position. The Rams will have to do a lot of work to avoid a flame out and complete tear down. 

The Rams have traded like 4 of their last 5 1st round picks. If they win a SB this or next year then you can excuse it, after that they may be in serious trouble for a few years.

The Detroit radio shows have been going nuts every since that game happened. Detroit already has a feeling like the league is out to screw them and this just added fuel to the fire. One guy even suggested that the Ford family pull all their advertising and ties to the league as a response.

Fans here are still pissed about being the first team for something that had always been a catch to not being a catch with Calvin Johnson against the Bears.

9 minutes ago, briantw said:

Unfortunately, it's for a QB just as bad.

I can't believe I'm saying this, because I defended Mariota for a stupidly long time... but Tannehill may genuinely be better. And he will use his mobility to score me fantasy points instead of running into sacks.

21 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I can't believe I'm saying this, because I defended Mariota for a stupidly long time... but Tannehill may genuinely be better. And he will use his mobility to score me fantasy points instead of running into sacks.

I still can't believe Mariota has become this, especially considering his career got off to a good start. I would have absolutely picked him over WInston when they got drafted. Oh well, he'll be a backup if nothing else for the next decade if he wants to it. 

On tonight's game, why aren't more people saying they need to sit Mahomes? I'd absolutely rest him.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I still can't believe Mariota has become this, especially considering his career got off to a good start. I would have absolutely picked him over WInston when they got drafted. Oh well, he'll be a backup if nothing else for the next decade if he wants to it. 

On tonight's game, why aren't more people saying they need to sit Mahomes? I'd absolutely rest him.

They get him through tonight and he has ten days to let the Dr. Feelgood drugs take care of the swelling. If they'd won the last two games and he was still gimping around I would be more in line with what you're suggesting. But 4-3 is not ideal.

On 10/16/2019 at 2:27 PM, Triskele said:

Carolina has QB problems?  Fool has never lost an NFL game.

He's hardly played one.  He started one game last year when the Saints had benched, well, everyone.
I'm underwhelmed by the Cardinals victory (though concede he played well).  But the other two wins were CmC one man show in one case and a defensive win in the other.

I think you are nuts if you think he will be starting games next year, let alone after that.

48 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

He's hardly played one.  He started one game last year when the Saints had benched, well, everyone.
I'm underwhelmed by the Cardinals victory (though concede he played well).  But the other two wins were CmC one man show in one case and a defensive win in the other.

I think you are nuts if you think he will be starting games next year, let alone after that.

19 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I was definitely being snarky, but I think they're 4 and 0 since he started playing.  They sure are scoring more than when Cam was in there.  Haven't seen enough to know how good Allen actually looks.

I'm with the monkey. I think ditching a genuinely healthy Cam (if he ever will be again) in favor of Kyle 'Fumblebum' Allen would be a terrible decision. But he's just as good as Jacoby Brissette, and they can win with him.

Okay... just got a push notification he’s out for the rest of the game after a knee injury on a QB sneak.

That changes the math on this game and potentially the AFC West as a whole.

16 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Okay... just got a push notification he’s out for the rest of the game after a knee injury on a QB sneak.

That changes the math on this game and potentially the AFC West as a whole.

RAAAAIDAAAAAZZZZZZ

Just now, Jace, Basilissa said:

RAAAAIDAAAAAZZZZZZ

So the host of Kentucky Sports Radio is Matt Jones.  For last season and this one, he has also hosted the ESPN Radio version of Sunday Countdown.  Most weeks he does it from Bristol and he has had some hilarious stories that he has shared on KSR during the week.

My favorite was a couple weeks ago when he talked about watching the Sunday games in the “war room.”  Apparently the room had an informal seniority hierarchy.  If someone who has worked there longer wants your seat, you get up and move back.

He said he was in there and Berman and Tom Jackson came in and booted Teddy Bruschi out of the front row seat.  Jones said that Berman watched all the games and was doing his TV schtik the whole time.  If someone was happening on the Oakland game, he’d call out for the whole room “Tha Raidazzzzzzzz” or he would watch a replay and do his “wooop” “boom bam boff” “rumblin stumbling bumblin” just like he was on TV, but with no cameras around.  Jones said that it’s not a character he’s playing on TV. :lol: 

13 minutes ago, Rhom said:

So the host of Kentucky Sports Radio is Matt Jones.  For last season and this one, he has also hosted the ESPN Radio version of Sunday Countdown.  Most weeks he does it from Bristol and he has had some hilarious stories that he has shared on KSR during the week.

My favorite was a couple weeks ago when he talked about watching the Sunday games in the “war room.”  Apparently the room had an informal seniority hierarchy.  If someone who has worked there longer wants your seat, you get up and move back.

He said he was in there and Berman and Tom Jackson came in and booted Teddy Bruschi out of the front row seat.  Jones said that Berman watched all the games and was doing his TV schtik the whole time.  If someone was happening on the Oakland game, he’d call out for the whole room “Tha Raidazzzzzzzz” or he would watch a replay and do his “wooop” “boom bam boff” “rumblin stumbling bumblin” just like he was on TV, but with no cameras around.  Jones said that it’s not a character he’s playing on TV. :lol: 

That's pretty great. And also annoying. I mean it though, I love Patty Mahomes and hope he's okay. But I'm all onboard Jon Gruden and his band of thugs he calls 'Raiders'.

ETA: I want the AFC West champion 4 seed Raiders to go into snowy foxborough all those years later. Redemption...

14 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

That's pretty great. And also annoying. I mean it though, I love Patty Mahomes and hope he's okay. But I'm all onboard Jon Gruden and his band of thugs he calls 'Raiders'.

ETA: I want the AFC West champion 4 seed Raiders to go into snowy foxborough all those years later. Redemption...

Ye gods, I hadn't considered the possibility of that happening. And the Patriots with their kicker issues...

14 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

They get him through tonight and he has ten days to let the Dr. Feelgood drugs take care of the swelling. If they'd won the last two games and he was still gimping around I would be more in line with what you're suggesting. But 4-3 is not ideal.

I hate to play the results, but I told you so. If the Chiefs play him again this year, they’re complete idiots.

Archived