NFL 2019: After A Quarter, Are They Who We Thought They Were?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

4 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

The whole team is a shitshow. They won’t be good for many years, and Barkley’s best seasons will be wasted. I’ve accepted it.

Teams can turn around quick in the NFL, especially with Eli’s cap hit being gone next year. But I have no faith in the gm and coach to produce a winner. We need to open the checkbook and get a legit coach and a gm who doesn’t primarily bring in his ex players.

15 minutes ago, The Last Storm said:

Teams can turn around quick in the NFL, especially with Eli’s cap hit being gone next year. But I have no faith in the gm and coach to produce a winner. We need to open the checkbook and get a legit coach and a gm who doesn’t primarily bring in his ex players.

Well that’s just the thing. We need the right GM and HC, and at the moment we have neither... and they’re both likely not going anywhere anytime soon. They’ll both be excused for this season as it’s a QB transition year.

Not hitting on any of their O-line picks and acquisitions for like the past 5 years has just killed this already weak team. The law of averages has to kick in sooner or later.

In Captain Kirk we trust! Dude has been on a tear since being called out by his WRs.

Also, I can't enough of the Teddy Bridgewater comeback story. I hope he stays with the Saints, even as a backup for a year or two and takes over once old man Brees calls it a career. 

On 10/18/2019 at 6:43 PM, Bronn Stone said:

He wasn't right as a passer in 2016 or 2017 or 2018 or 2019.  His skills as a runner continue to deteriorate, as one would expect a QB rounding the bend of 30.

His numbers from 2018 are solid until he got hurt. He has been in decline though since his MVP year. And as you alluded to, Cam's game was never going to age well. However, that does not mean you bench him if he comes back healthy. Allen was an undrafted rookie who was meh in college. You don't use him to replace Cam based on a small sample size. You have to kick the tires on Cam to see what he's got.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Sam Darnold looks like Tim Tebow vs the Patriots.

Tebow's passes tended to corkscrew into the ground rather than float gently into a Patriot db's hands.

ETA Oh man, to essentially end it on a muffed punt by a punt returner who washed out of Patriots camp...

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Whoever decided to make this the Monday night game can fuck off.

In their defense, with Darnold back, the Jets played well against the Cowboys last week and the Patriots have a whole lot of injured players. It wasn't guaranteed to be this absurdly one-sided.

I was out this evening.  My best friend's sister and her husband had me over.  I am friends with both of them, but I was not there on a purely social call.  

My friend's brother-in-law has pancreatic cancer.  I was there to draft their wills.  

After the official business was over we retired to the living room to watch the Pats and the Jets.  And for over an hour we lost ourselves in the game and for yet another day in another season in a completely undeserving run, my friends and I laughed at the game, smiled and found reason after reason to enjoy another moment with this team.  We cheered at yet another McCourty INT; laughed at van Noy recovering another fumble; made fun of Sam Darnold ("I'm seeing ghosts"), made fun of Adam Gase ("I need you to get this ball into the endzone" while Darnold looked on with a face that asked "How do I do that?"), and tried to ignore whatever the fuck Booger McFarlan was doing {"4th and 3 is different than 4th and 9" ... it was 4th and 4).  

My friend does not deserve to have pancreatic cancer.  And we did nothing to deserve smiling and laughing at this team again.  And again.  And again.  But one more night this team gave me and those I care about another dumb reason to laugh, joke and enjoy.  

I have been rooting for this team since I wain grade school and talking about them here since my Wife was my girlfriend and my daughters did not exist.  And they have given me many nights like tonight and I did nothing to deserve that.  But tonight it was needed just a little bit more and appreciated just a little bit longer.   

Maybe I could come here and say how much the Bears chocked or how I may now be afraid of the Ravens; or how shitty the Lions may be.  But instead, I guess I just wanted to talk about how this team has given me many things I do not deserve to help a friend face something he does not deserve.  

And I hope on a night like this when you need it, your team is there for you.  When the day went to shit; when the news is not good; when the future does not look rosy, that you and those you care about and are lucky enough to be with can sit together as YOUR team comes through for YOU. 

Because you deserve it.  

Have a great night folks.  

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Last night might have been the ultimate example of FF hell. I was playing @Whiskeyjack in a close game and I was stuck with Darnold and NE’s defense (and Bell and Anderson who did nothing).

That was pretty crazy.  Thought I was done heading into the game, but Darnold did his best to keep me alive.  Really just needed one more Dorsett TD to take it.

49 minutes ago, Whiskeyjack said:

That was pretty crazy.  Thought I was done heading into the game, but Darnold did his best to keep me alive.  Really just needed one more Dorsett TD to take it.

Lol, I love having the Pats D in several leagues:

The Pat’s D would rank 6th among QBs, 4th among RBs, 3rd among WRs and first among TEs.

1 hour ago, Rockroi said:

Excellent move for the 49'ers.  Pats could not really afford Sanders and they get an additional year out of Sanu, but in a vacuum I would prefer Sanders over Sanu.  

Sanders might be small enough to fit in a vacuum.

I have a hard time seeing either of these moves making a difference. The 49ers likely won’t represent the NFC in the Owl and Brady already has enough mid-tier weapons. Honestly the Pats are really lucky that the AFC is collectively falling on its face.

Archived