NFL 2019: After A Quarter, Are They Who We Thought They Were?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I have a hard time seeing either of these moves making a difference. The 49ers likely won’t represent the NFC in the Owl and Brady already has enough mid-tier weapons. Honestly the Pats are really lucky that the AFC is collectively falling on its face.

Shut yo’ potty mouth.

Another aspect is how set up the Niners were to everyone dropping down one role on offence. Goodwin has never really taken it to another level in terms of being a no.1, but he did better than I expected in that role and when he was healthy other teams rolled coverage to take away his deep speed as their top priority. Drop him back down to a 2...with the young guts...and now his ability to take the top off will really be exploitable. Kittle, too, becomes increasingly dangerous, and a lot of our younger guys are E. Sanders types, so having him as a role model might prove very beneficial. 

Again, I’ a draft-til-you die guy, so I never like trading picks, but i’m okayish with this. 

8 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Shut yo’ potty mouth.

Another aspect is how set up the Niners were to everyone dropping down one role on offence. Goodwin has never really taken it to another level in terms of being a no.1, but he did better than I expected in that role and when he was healthy other teams rolled coverage to take away his deep speed as their top priority. Drop him back down to a 2...with the young guts...and now his ability to take the top off will really be exploitable. Kittle, too, becomes increasingly dangerous, and a lot of our younger guys are E. Sanders types, so having him as a role model might prove very beneficial. 

Again, I’ a draft-til-you die guy, so I never like trading picks, but i’m okayish with this. 

A 3rd and a 4th for a WR who has been pedestrian all year outside of one game seems like a mistake.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

A 3rd and a 4th for a WR who has been pedestrian all year outside of one game seems like a mistake.

You obviously are entirely unfamiliar with the Niners' current receiver corps.

A 2nd for Sanu seems like overpayment to me. He's career second-fiddle guy to AJ Green and Julio. He's also 30, so not the youngest guy around. I'm sure he'll help, considering how inconsistent Gordon is, and Edelman has injury concerns, but it seems a bit much. I'm sure they'll come out smelling like roses so it probably doesn't matter.

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

You obviously are entirely unfamiliar with the Niners' current receiver corps.

Mostly true. I know it's a huge drop off after Kittle, but Sanders isn't special, and I hate to say it, but I don't think your problem is the guys catching the ball. It's the dude who is slinging it that should have you concerned. 

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Mostly true. I know it's a huge drop off after Kittle, but Sanders isn't special, and I hate to say it, but I don't think your problem is the guys catching the ball. It's the dude who is slinging it that should have you concerned. 

PFF has Sanders as elite on targeted passes this year, elite in RAC and 7th highest wr overall. They seem to think it’s been more of a Flaco/Denver issue. My biggest concern with him has always been waiting for his size/style combination to mean serious injury risks, and he’s now joining the injury cursed Niners plus getting older, but that aside I think he’s still damned effective.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sanders has zero drops this season.  That alone makes him a huge upgrade over everyone they got.  While I've been critical of Jimmy G, it doesn't take advanced analytics to see that his receivers haven't done him any favors and have struggled mightily to get open.  Like Arryn said, slotting Sanders in at #1 changes the entire complexion of that receiver corps, as Goodwin is much better at 2 and it takes pressure off the kids (Samuel and Pettis).  As long as, of course, he stays healthy, I'd say it shores up their only glaring weakness (well that and Robbie Gould missing more kicks in 6 games than he had his entire career - but now he's got his long-snapper back!)  But on the health thing - wonder what this portends for Taylor and Hurd.

1 hour ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

A 2nd for Sanu seems like overpayment to me. He's career second-fiddle guy to AJ Green and Julio. He's also 30, so not the youngest guy around. I'm sure he'll help, considering how inconsistent Gordon is, and Edelman has injury concerns, but it seems a bit much. I'm sure they'll come out smelling like roses so it probably doesn't matter.

He was actually 3rd fiddle in Cincy. We had AJ and Marvin Jones when Sanu was here. He’s a solid WR though. Can throw it a bit, too. 

4 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

You have no idea what you're saying. E man has made Joe Flacco look quarterback esque for whole drives at a time. He's still got it.

Looks incredible for a guy in his thirties coming off an Achilles tear.

Following up on what DMC, maybe we’re guilty of assuming everyone watches our team and therefore knows what’s been happening, so:

The Niners are 31st in the league is pass attempts, but 1st* in drops. It’s kinda hard to describe how ‘not helped’ Jimmy G has been by the receiving corps as a whole.

*edit: another site has us 3rd.

18 hours ago, Rockroi said:

Excellent move for the 49'ers.  Pats could not really afford Sanders and they get an additional year out of Sanu, but in a vacuum I would prefer Sanders over Sanu.  

I think Sanders is a better player but I'm happy they went for a bigger receiver instead of yet another 5'11" 190 lb guy. Of course, they wouldn't be in this position if they hadn't cashiered Demaryius Thomas to chase Antonio Brown. Not that I was really high on Thomas in the first place, but at least he's the kind of competent veteran Brady seems to crave.

16 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I have a hard time seeing either of these moves making a difference. The 49ers likely won’t represent the NFC in the Owl and Brady already has enough mid-tier weapons. Honestly the Pats are really lucky that the AFC is collectively falling on its face.

Sadly, Brady doesn't actually have that many mid-tier weapons. Gordon was out, and Dorsett and Edelman were questionable leading up to the Jets game so they were on the verge of rolling out Jakobi Meyers, Gunner Olszewski, and Matthew Slater at WR.

16 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

It's overpayment, but I imagine there were other bidders. I guess Belichick will have to forego his traditional injured DB pick in the draft next year.

20 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Sadly, Brady doesn't actually have that many mid-tier weapons. Gordon was out, and Dorsett and Edelman were questionable leading up to the Jets game so they were on the verge of rolling out Jakobi Meyers, Gunner Olszewski, and Matthew Slater at WR.

Bah, there’s always a part time standup comedian or a tiny white guy for you guys to find. Besides, all Brady does is check down at this point anyways. Just use one of your 9875643978 running backs to handle that.

38 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Following up on what DMC, maybe we’re guilty of assuming everyone watches our team and therefore knows what’s been happening, so:

The Niners are 31st in the league is pass attempts, but 1st* in drops. It’s kinda hard to describe how ‘not helped’ Jimmy G has been by the receiving corps as a whole.

*edit: another site has us 3rd.

To respond to you and @DMC, I get that your WRs aren’t that good, but if Sanders is not a significant upgrade worth what you paid for. The Pats trade is more justifiable because they will most likely be in the SB. I’m still not sure you guys will even win your division, trade or no trade. I think you guys are at least one year ahead of schedule, and you would have been better off using those picks on two potential starters and be smart in FA. Hell, you should have signed AB instead of making this trade. Maybe I’ll be wrong in the end, but to me it feels like a desperation move by a team that does not need to be thinking like that.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

To respond to you and @DMC, I get that your WRs aren’t that good, but if Sanders is not a significant upgrade worth what you paid for. The Pats trade is more justifiable because they will most likely be in the SB. I’m still not sure you guys will even win your division, trade or no trade. I think you guys are at least one year ahead of schedule, and you would have been better off using those picks on two potential starters and be smart in FA. Hell, you should have signed AB instead of making this trade. Maybe I’ll be wrong in the end, but to me it feels like a desperation move by a team that does not need to be thinking like that.

Dude. Sanders is good. Him for mid-round swappage is a better deal than Sanu for a 2nd. Hell, for a 2nd I'd rather have Sanders. I imagine  Elway wasn't going to deal him to NE for a reasonable price.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

To respond to you and @DMC, I get that your WRs aren’t that good, but if Sanders is not a significant upgrade worth what you paid for. The Pats trade is more justifiable because they will most likely be in the SB. I’m still not sure you guys will even win your division, trade or no trade.

I think the point of the trade is the Niners are going all in to try and make the SB this year.  Whether you think they're gonna or not, I really don't care.  A lot of people think they have a damn good chance - including obviously Lynch and Shanahan - and I'm very happy they're going for it.

As for signing AB, uh, yeah cuz that works out great.  And I have to laugh about giving up a 3rd rounder "feeling like desperation."  It's not that valuable of a pick - especially when you're competitive now and can give it up for a clear upgrade.  My only concern is his health, which admittedly is a significant concern.

7 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Dude. Sanders is good. Him for mid-round swappage is a better deal than Sanu for a 2nd. Hell, for a 2nd I'd rather have Sanders. I imagine  Elway wasn't going to deal him to NE for a reasonable price.

Don’t dude me, dudette. Sanders is alright, but he’s nothing special. My argument is that he’s not going to move the needle much this season, and his long term impact will be minimal. If you’re going to go for it, go for it. Offer the Trump colored Kittens a first and a third for A.J. They’d probably do that considering they need a full teardown.

4 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Also if Sanders leaves in Free Agency the 49'ers will get... a 3rd round compensatory pick. So waddaya know?

I think he'd have to get a top tier contract in free agency to earn the Niners that high a pick, but that's a good factor to remember in calculating the trade cost.

Archived