NFL 2019: After A Quarter, Are They Who We Thought They Were?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

I don't think blaming Nagy for running down the clock for a game winning kick is fair.  Unless someone can quantify the risk of running another play versus the marginal increase in FG accuracy from a modest gain.  

But damn thats got to sting the bears fans.

Pick up Mark Walton now if he s still on your waivers.  Drake didnt travel to Pittsburgh so assume he gets traded.  

I really thought the Bears had moved past missing FGs to throw away a win.

I know Nagy has taken a lot of flak this year for calling so many pass plays and very few runs, but opposing defenses are bringing 8+ backs to block the run because they don’t think Trubiskey can hit the receivers even in the thinnest coverage.  And so far they’re not wrong.

40 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Where did 26 come from, this guy looks unreal.

That'd be Tevin Coleman, Shanahan had him when he was with the Falcons and the Niners signed him in the offseason.

Man, Nick Fucking Bosa.  Screw rookie of the year, he keeps up this pace and he's got a shot at DPOY.

3 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Can't Nagy be defended simply on the grounds that NFL kickers are supposed to make 41 yard field goals?  

No question.  You have a 41yd FG available to win.  The opponent knows that if you do call another play before before kicking then it will 100% be a run, which gives the defense a free shot to overload to force a tackle for loss or maybe even a fumble.  Pineiro has been a reliable FG kicker all season from this distance (until earlier in this game from 33yds, which isn’t a reachable distance now anyway).  There’s more risk than upside.  Kneeling was not a bad call.  The problem was a bad kick, which would not have changed if he was two yards closer (best case scenario). 

And the bigger problem by far was two turnovers in the fourth quarter, and an inability to score TDs in several red zone trips.  Despite all of that, they were still within a high probability FG of winning.

If this Bears team could swap Trubiskey for Stafford (say), it would easily be 5-2.   

Normally you could at least say the Chargers' win allowed them to maybe "save their season," but I don't believe they're really interested in that sort of thing.   So it's just sad all around.

Gruden just sunk his fingers deep into his armpits like the SNL character used to before she sniffed them.   I did the same in solidarity.  Stupid Texans.   

Lions!

Rob Riggle showed a retrospective of Howie Long's haircuts through the years this morning ('high & tight,' etc.), and one of his Halfsies award categories was Most Embarrassing to the State of Ohio.   I thought it was a Bengals joke but then remembered that, in the words of Yoda, 'there is another.'

Welcome back Breeze.   You were....missed?  Sure.  Absolutely.  Now that you're back,  it's time for the Bye week.

Now, hopefully without being deleted, I'll try to add some sort of reference to being fully upright for San Francisco.  They.... had me all the way up out of my chair, cheering.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

“This”? No.

But 3-13 was definitely too pessimistic.

19 minutes ago, DMC said:

ESPN's FPI projected 8.9 wins for the Niners.  7-10 wins was the range I was expecting, hoping for the latter of course.  3-13 deserves ridicule.

Yeah, that's a fair range. I figured they'd show improvement, but still end up being the third placed team in the West. Funny thing is they are exactly who we expected them to be in the preseason, however, I don't think enough people that this front seven would be this overwhelming. 

4 hours ago, aceluby said:

Niners look to be the scariest team in football right now.  I would not want to play them.

The Pats are scarier. Through eight games I believe they are the best defense, ever. Just look at this one aspect. They've given up two passing TDs against scoring two TDs on 19 Ints. That's insane. They've also scored nearly as many Defensive TDs (6) as they've allowed (7). 

What I don't get is how last year they were average on D, they didn't improve their roster, and boom, they're all time great. It's not fair with these guys.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

What I don't get is how last year they were average on D, they didn't improve their roster, and boom, they're all time great. It's not fair with these guys.

The second half of the AFC Championship Game aside, the D was pretty decent towards the end of the year. And I wouldn't say they didn't improve the roster. The return of Jamie Collins, now fully bought in to the system, has been a big difference maker.

They seemed to find a rhythm towards the end last year and have been able to build on it. They have an All Pro DB, a bunch of solid cover guys behind him, guys like Danny Shelton and Lawrence Guy and Jonathan Jones improving with experience in the system, Van Noy is showing why he was a 2nd round pick, Hightower is healthier.

It also helps to play a slate of bad QBs (Roethlisberger with a maybe gimped elbow was the best they've faced, and even healthy he's not been great against the Pat's). But the defense is mostly savvy veterans who have been in the system and playing together for at least a year or two.

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The Pats are scarier. Through eight games I believe they are the best defense, ever. Just look at this one aspect. They've given up two passing TDs against scoring two TDs on 19 Ints. That's insane. They've also scored nearly as many Defensive TDs (6) as they've allowed (7). 

*cough AFC EAST cough*

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's almost as if having a world-class defensive coach matters

Archived