NFL 2019: After A Quarter, Are They Who We Thought They Were?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

You’re over thinking it. Tua is two years younger and has been consistently better, plus we know he has big game moxy. He’s the top prospect, but it won’t matter because you’ll have your pick of those two with the second overall pick after you win the week 16 TankBowl.

He’s also been injured, had surgery, and isn’t all that big. If we go QB, I want Burrow. Wouldn’t be upset with taking Tua, but I’ve kind of fallen in love with Burrow watching him this year. 

So. Many. Quotes...

3 hours ago, aceluby said:

That tends to happen when you play the worst offenses in the league.  They are very confident, but they haven't really had to play anyone of substance yet.  I'll wait to crown them after their next 4 games.

True, but one sign of a good team is how they beat bad teams, and the Pats are destroying people despite Brady looking like he's about ready to take a bath.

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

I think there's a very real chance that Justin Herbert and maybe also Jake Eason get taken ahead of any of these guys.

Stop. Just stop monkey man!

2 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

If I were still a Chargers fan, I would be looking in this draft for the replacement of Philip Rivers.  I don't think his game will age well and that it will go fast when it goes.  Of course, I thought he'd be done by now.

Speaking of, he's already in the tub and he'll be getting out soon with that noodle arm of his.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Chase Young is getting a lot of hype right now.  Seems like the current consensus is he's the #1 guy on the big board.  Now, Tua has an advantage in that the two teams overwhelmingly likely to get the first pick (Dolphins and Bengals) are probably gonna be looking for a QB, but I wouldn't anoint Tua just yet.

The last two drafts indicate that picking the top edge rusher is a wise choice, but as you say the teams at the top need QBs. Now, can we all just agree that the scientific way to decide on which QB to take comes down to the nation collectively saying "Who the F is that?" when Tua first entered the National Championship? It seems like the most rational way to go about things.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

He’s also been injured, had surgery, and isn’t all that big. If we go QB, I want Burrow. Wouldn’t be upset with taking Tua, but I’ve kind of fallen in love with Burrow watching him this year. 

The injuries would be the only flag for me. Otherwise Tua is the guy. I've never had any reasons to doubt him. He's been consistently excellent. Burrow, OTOH, has a smaller sample to pick from and I'd be worried he's a one hit wonder.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Speaking of, he's <Philip Rivers> already in the tub and he'll be getting out soon with that noodle arm of his.

Yeah.  He can't throw much.  But he's still far from the least effective QB in the NFL.

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The injuries would be the only flag for me. Otherwise Tua is the guy. I've never had any reasons to doubt him. He's been consistently excellent. Burrow, OTOH, has a smaller sample to pick from and I'd be worried he's a one hit wonder.

Certainly always a concern with these one year guys, but man he’s impressive. He managed to ball out against a nasty Auburn defense that was getting to him early and often. With our terrible OL, that’s exactly what we need. It will be interesting to see how he does against Alabama next week. Right now I think he’s the 1st QB taken. 

3 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Certainly always a concern with these one year guys, but man he’s impressive. He managed to ball out against a nasty Auburn defense that was getting to him early and often. With our terrible OL, that’s exactly what we need. It will be interesting to see how he does against Alabama next week. Right now I think he’s the 1st QB taken. 

In fairness, I don't watch much college ball (outside of gloriously undefeated Gophers). I do plan on watching the Bama-LSU game though, so perhaps my mind can be changed.

I’m open to changing my mind if Burrow blows me away, but I just feel like with the first pick you have to take Tua. Nobody can be mad at you if he doesn’t pan out. Idk if you can say the same about the other QBs. Perhaps that’s not how you should draft, but I think most GMs would look at it that way.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nobody can be mad at you if he doesn’t pan out. Idk if you can say the same about the other QBs. Perhaps that’s not how you should draft, but I think most GMs would look at it that way.

Maybe if they're cowards like you.

16 minutes ago, DMC said:

Maybe if they're cowards like you.

You can’t spell coward without “Cashman.”

Look at all that beautiful pitching. It’s perfect, bigly. You know it and I know it and everyone knows it. And they also know that Cashman was whining and crying and is a sniveling coward. SAD!

#Boo-urns

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You can’t spell coward without “Cashman.”

Look at all that beautiful pitching. It’s perfect, bigly. You know it and I know it and everyone knows it. And they also know that Cashman was whining and crying and is a sniveling coward. SAD!

#Boo-urns

This attempt at a Trump tweet gets about a 4/10.  Lacks originality.  I also don't get going after Cashman - wrong sport.

26 minutes ago, DMC said:

This attempt at a Trump tweet gets about a 4/10.  Lacks originality.  I also don't get going after Cashman - wrong sport.

In what universe does a Trump tweet connotate originality?

10 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Fight! Fight! Fight!

Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!

This is Jacist!

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Is Bosa MVP thus far, I think it's high time a D player gets that honor for a change, would be nice.

Yeah, I've never understood the way MVP works in North American sports.  the whole 'NBA MVP can't play on a poor team' (generally) makes no sense either. 

Best player awards make far more sense, because its impossible to see how 'valuable' someone is.

I think Wilson is probably the industry consensus for MVP right now, and it's hard to argue against his credentials.  He has 17 passing TDs (and 3 rushing) compared to ONE interception!  But it's a fair point that defensive players get short shrift.  According to wikipedia, a defensive player hasn't won MVP since LT in 1986, the year after I was born.  He's one of only two defensive players to win it since the AP award started in 1961.  Virtually every other winner was (mostly) a QB or running back - with one placekicker included for..kicks - and even then the last RB to win it was Peterson in 2012.

Archived