NFL 2019: After A Quarter, Are They Who We Thought They Were?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

41 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

If I get summoned for a 5 AM meeting for what I know will be my firing, I'm just not showing up. What are they gonna do...fire me? 

Look on the bright side, they were just trying to give him an early start on his heavy day drinking.  

1 hour ago, Rockroi said:

Just want to point out that when Wade Philips was HC of the Broncos in the 90s he was almost assuredly going to be fired after the end of a poor season.  When his assistant told him he was late for a meeting with the owner (the meeting where he was going to be fired) he supposedly said, "So what if I'm late; what are they going to do, fire me?"  

Jay Gruden may have just wanted to get it over with.  Honestly- he gets paid for the next 18 months as if he were a head coach but does not actually have to be one.  

And DC's statement about the firing didn't even TRY to sound comforting like "Thank you for your service."  They just treated the guy like... like... like somebody who was being fired by Dan Snider... 

Wade Phillips seems to be one of the very few NFL coaches who actually lives life the right way. 

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Anyone else expect the patriots and dolphins are 15-0 / 0-15 going into the last game? 

The Dolphins' best chance to tank their tank job might be this Thursday, when equally terrible Washington comes to town having just fired their coach. Win or tie, one of those teams will have a non-loss on their record by the end of the week.

I am personally not rooting for the Pats to go undefeated. Too much pressure over the course of a season.

2 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

They have a lot of talent but poor cohesion. Coach might have something to do with that.

Thinking a garbage OL has something to do with it to, then trading away your starting left tackle, on an already weak OL...not smart.

8 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Thinking a garbage OL has something to do with it to, then trading away your starting left tackle, on an already weak OL...not smart.

Pretty sure Zeitler was a guard, but your point is well made. Greg Robinson should not be starting end-of-sentence-infer-punctuation-here

26 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Pretty sure Zeitler was a guard, but your point is well made. Greg Robinson should not be starting end-of-sentence-infer-punctuation-here

Yep, Zeitler is an OG. We’ve been missing both him, and Andrew Whitworth, terribly the last few years. 

It's still hard to tell how good/bad the Browns are, but that was an impressive victory for the Niners.  What was unimpressive was Garoppolo's performance.  This team almost looks like the Alex Smith-led Niners - dominant front seven, great running game, dynamic TE, and a quarterback that rarely throws passed ten yards. 

The concern there is the running game is so dynamic thanks to JuiceCheck, and seeing him go down was like, "yeah, figures."  I was having such a perfect sports day up to that point - Astros lost, Yanks were on their way to a sweep, Niners were dominating.  In my head I was like "something's gotta go wrong now."  Luckily sounds like it's just a sprain, more tests tomorrow, fingers crossed.  Because he might be their most important player, and he's definitely their most important offensive player right now.

I know Bosa was obviously motivated for revenge against Mayfield, but it should also be noted this is his first game in which he didn't spend all week on the injury report.  And god fucking damn.

After he went down it seemed the niners were getting tackled behind the line of scrimmage a lot more often, i noticed.  Like the magic might have been on a respirator at that point.   Garappolo reels off wins, though, it's what he does.   He must inspire them quietly, in the huddle, because outwardly it often looks like they're still trying to give the game away, bumbling real hard.  But it works, whatever it is he provides.  Some kind of even keel.   This team should stop trying field goals though.   Just don't send the kicking team out onto the field next week, and see what happens.   

Peyton for coach of the month?    

Quarterbacks drafted by the Patriots are, so far, 12-2 this season.  

Somebody asked me why Snider waited until the Pats game to fire Gruden.  I think it's pretty logical.  If they fired Gruden last week the new coach would have STILL been annihilated by the Pats.  So, if your Snider and you are taking the annihilation as a given, you keep Gruden to endure one more beating, then you fire him after a lop-sided humiliation.  THEN, you have the new guy face the Dolphins and probably win.  So it looks like your decisions are paying dividends already.  

I mean, the WORST thing that could have happened would have been if DC won and that was never going to happen.  

I mean... other than having to root for Washington... 

11 hours ago, DMC said:

It's still hard to tell how good/bad the Browns are, but that was an impressive victory for the Niners.  What was unimpressive was Garoppolo's performance.  This team almost looks like the Alex Smith-led Niners - dominant front seven, great running game, dynamic TE, and a quarterback that rarely throws passed ten yards. 

The concern there is the running game is so dynamic thanks to JuiceCheck, and seeing him go down was like, "yeah, figures."  I was having such a perfect sports day up to that point - Astros lost, Yanks were on their way to a sweep, Niners were dominating.  In my head I was like "something's gotta go wrong now."  Luckily sounds like it's just a sprain, more tests tomorrow, fingers crossed.  Because he might be their most important player, and he's definitely their most important offensive player right now.

I know Bosa was obviously motivated for revenge against Mayfield, but it should also be noted this is his first game in which he didn't spend all week on the injury report.  And god fucking damn.

Handsome Jimmy did seem to play it safe last night, but he’d been pretty lights out in the 2 prior games and they did get an early lead, plus they had a 6th round rookie LT going up against Myles Garrett, so short drops and quick passes/running game made a fair amount of sense.

15 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Handsome Jimmy did seem to play it safe last night, but he’d been pretty lights out in the 2 prior games and they did get an early lead, plus they had a 6th round rookie LT going up against Myles Garrett, so short drops and quick passes/running game made a fair amount of sense.

I think Garoppolo has been thoroughly unimpressive in 3 of the 4 games - and the one game he looked good was against a Bengals defense that's ranked 31st right now.  Plus it's not like the other three defenses are that great either and he's gotten away with some pretty dumb passes better secondaries will pick off.  Fair enough on Garrett - and the Browns having quite the DL in general - although while I wasn't monitoring the matchups during the game, I do remember it was McGlinchey who gave up Garrett's sack.  Another thing to note is both of the Browns' starting corners didn't play last night.

Don't get me wrong, Garoppolo has obviously been good enough thus far, and I think the Niners can compete with this version of him, especially considering the NFC is pretty wide open.  I'd still put the Packers and the Saints (with a healthy Brees) distinctly ahead of them though.  BUT, if they can get the 2017 Jimmy back, then I think the Niners do have a chance to earn the right to lose to the Patriots.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

I think Garoppolo has been thoroughly unimpressive in 3 of the 4 games - and the one game he looked good was against a Bengals defense that's ranked 31st right now.  Plus it's not like the other three defenses are that great either and he's gotten away with some pretty dumb passes better secondaries will pick off.  Fair enough on Garrett - and the Browns having quite the DL in general - although while I wasn't monitoring the matchups during the game, I do remember it was McGlinchey who gave up Garrett's sack.  Another thing to note is both of the Browns' starting corners didn't play last night.

Don't get me wrong, Garoppolo has obviously been good enough thus far, and I think the Niners can compete with this version of him, especially considering the NFC is pretty wide open.  I'd still put the Packers and the Saints (with a healthy Brees) distinctly ahead of them though.  BUT, if they can get the 2017 Jimmy back, then I think the Niners do have a chance to earn the right to lose to the Patriots.

I actually agree on the general level of defences, and I do wonder what happens when that steps up but I am wondering if you watched the Steelers game? Many observers, including apparently the impossible to please Shannahan think it might have been his best game as a pro. Take a quick look at it if you get a chance...he had like 5-6 needle passes where the pass rusher is literally already launched into his face and he acts like nothing is there until the pass is gone, at which point he acts like a guy getting smashed into by a defender, because he was. On paper there were 4 TOS, but i’d be interested in how many you think were on him. On paper it was meh, but I don’t remember the last time I was more encouraged. Just take away the Ints and he’s 25-32 for 300+...again with a rookie LT getting his first start ever. 

As far as Garret, I think you’re right on the one sack, but they were big-time chipping and scheming him all night which necessarily makes you more conservative in your options. Overall, i’m more along the line of waiting to see what happens when the level of competition rises. Though, as mentioned, I thought the Steelers played a lot better than the numbers looked, especially given some of their personnel issues. The other 3 I have thought played just meh at best. 

Archived