NFL 2019: After A Quarter, Are They Who We Thought They Were?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

29 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

he had like 5-6 needle passes where the pass rusher is literally already launched into his face and he acts like nothing is there until the pass is gone, at which point he acts like a guy getting smashed into by a defender, because he was. On paper there were 4 TOS, but i’d be interested in how many you think were on him. On paper it was meh, but I don’t remember the last time I was more encouraged. Just take away the Ints and he’s 25-32 for 300+...again with a rookie LT getting his first start ever. 

I agree his handling of the pressure during the Steelers game was very encouraging, I do remember that.  I honestly can't specifically remember 4 of the 5 turnovers in the game right now - I do recall the fumble on the direct snap which was just ugh.  I wanna say you're right that one of the INTs wasn't Garoppolo's fault, but pretty sure at least one was, plus he lost a fumble.

But yeah, you're right that my frustration at all the TOs has colored my perception of his performance in that game.  And that was a very encouraging aspect of last night for the Niners offense overall - they finally stopped giving the ball away.  Plus, while I haven't looked at the numbers, seemed like the penalties were significantly down too, which is also key (that first game against the Bucs where I think they had 3 TDs flagged back isn't gonna cut it against good competition).

19 minutes ago, DMC said:

I agree his handling of the pressure during the Steelers game was very encouraging, I do remember that.  I honestly can't specifically remember 4 of the 5 turnovers in the game right now - I do recall the fumble on the direct snap which was just ugh.  I wanna say you're right that one of the INTs wasn't Garoppolo's fault, but pretty sure at least one was, plus he lost a fumble.

But yeah, you're right that my frustration at all the TOs has colored my perception of his performance in that game.  And that was a very encouraging aspect of last night for the Niners offense overall - they finally stopped giving the ball away.  Plus, while I haven't looked at the numbers, seemed like the penalties were significantly down too, which is also key (that first game against the Bucs where I think they had 3 TDs flagged back isn't gonna cut it against good competition).

There were two off-the hands-passes, the fumbled snap which...as far as I know the rule is if it’s off the bottom hand it’s probably on the qb (barring a timing issue or weird angle) and if it’s off the frame/top hand it’s on the C and this got nowhere near his bottom hand.

One of the 4 I think, yeah, maybe. Tbh, I probably wasn’t much more impressed than you on live watch, in part because it was such an ugly game overall, in part because the Niners colour guy seems to be, er, not a JG guy, let’s say, and that affected me more than I realized. But when the coach film came out I was really blown away at how sharp he was, often in the face of clear lane pressure, how often he was releasing at/before break, etc. 

And add to that the drops, which seems at this point to be our only real receiver weakness, I am surprised at how well this group had come together. 

Oh, btw, I forget you watch a lot of Niners. Gonna suggest this guy I found...John Chapman on YT, @JL_CHAPMAN on Twitter, he’s really good...does really fantastic analysis...his scouting reports/pre-game reads are honestly as good as I’ve found in a long time, though i’ve only discovered him recently so maybe he’s just on fire right now. 

Anyways, another thing I meant to say about JG being conservative yesterday was with the way the running game was killing it, it just didn’t need more. Can’t believe how well we’re running this year, especially with the number one guy gone again. Zone blocking schemes can suddenly run up against adjustments more, so not gonna think this is the way it’s gonna be, but the way Shannhan seems to be devoting into a master of misdirection and second-guessing it might. Watching the coach film, lol, you gotta see the Hollywood coaching, like every vert guy looking quickly to the wrong side at the exact same time, causing this perceptible ripple in the defensive backside. 

I actually had a lot going on during last night’s game, so I need to take another look, I probably missed a lot, but to me the best thing was the whole 3 levels thing, we’re clicking pretty high on all cylinders atm, though again I didn’t think the Browns showed all that well. Seemed cleaner, as you say, from what I saw. Apparently Baker pissed the entire D off at the coin flip, which, I mean, cheers for that Baker. 

11 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Oh, btw, I forget you watch a lot of Niners. Gonna suggest this guy I found...John Chapman on YT, @JL_CHAPMAN on Twitter, he’s really good...does really fantastic analysis...his scouting reports/pre-game reads are honestly as good as I’ve found in a long time, though i’ve only discovered him recently so maybe he’s just on fire right now. 

Thanks I'll check him out.

12 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Anyways, another thing I meant to say about JG being conservative yesterday was with the way the running game was killing it, it just didn’t need more.

Granted, but he still made a few pretty stupid throws and missed a couple clear opportunities.  The latter is why this is kinda an eye of the beholder thing.  I'm frustrated that he's very uninspiring on any throws downfield, but the thing is he gets so few opportunities to do so when they're dominating like that that it's a really small sample.  And yeah, the run game is unbelievable right now, even for a Shanahan.

18 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Apparently Baker pissed the entire D off at the coin flip, which, I mean, cheers for that Baker. 

LOL yeah, saw that Sherman was pissed about that.

Juszczyk is out for 4-6 weeks with an MCL sprain.  :stillsick:  You could easily see how the running game was affected with him out vs when he was in.  Its not a bad stretch of games coming up, but it does the calculus a bit.

@ Rams, @Redskins, Panthers, @Cardinals, Seahawks, Cardinals.

I still like them to win the Skins and both Cardinals games for sure.  However my hopes for the Rams, Panthers, and Seachickens went down a bit.

23 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Danny Dimes didn’t look too bad considering the circumstances. No run game and your D-line manhandling our O-line. Although those 2 Shepard misses hurt.

Moving this here to stop the derail.

Yeah, I actually thought he looked pretty good. I saw enough passes to conclude he is legit. He's like a more accurate Jaheem Allen. 

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

Its not a bad stretch of games coming up, but it does the calculus a bit.

@ Rams, @Redskins, Panthers, @Cardinals, Seahawks, Cardinals.

Yeah the real tough stretch is right after that:  Packers, @Ravens, @Saints, Falcons, Rams, @Seahawks.  Hopefully they can pick up at least 3-4 wins during the 6 game stretch you're referring to.  If so they should be in a good position.

4 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Fuck man. Yesterday Sherman was saying Mayfield wouldn’t shake hands and the Niners were saying Juice was just a sprained knee. Looking like the first was a straight up lie and the second just very wrong. Fuck.

Sherman is still the guy who gave his pro wrestling style rant about Crabtree while still on the field.  I don't get worked up about anything he does.  I'm still mildly grumpy that he's on the Niners now.  I'm sure its much the same way Cowboys fans felt about Terrell Owens.

The knee sprain does bum me out.

Steven A Smith (who should stick to NBA) said Tomlin isn’t long for Pitt and could see him going to the Skins. First off, if for some reason the Steelers get rid of him Tomlin would have his pick of whatever HC spots are open. Hopefully it might include the Giants, can’t see anyone wanting to take over Washington’s roster/owner. I knew the Chiefs weren’t great defensively but they got manhandled by the Colts O-line which admittedly is top 3 if not #1 in the NFL. 

6 hours ago, Rhom said:

Sherman is still the guy who gave his pro wrestling style rant about Crabtree while still on the field.  I don't get worked up about anything he does.  I'm still mildly grumpy that he's on the Niners now.  I'm sure its much the same way Cowboys fans felt about Terrell Owens.

Yep. I hated him being there because I'd find myself cheering a touch down, then realize it was him and I just felt dirty, like I needed a radiation shower.

11 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Yep. I hated him being there because I'd find myself cheering a touch down, then realize it was him and I just felt dirty, like I needed a radiation shower.

Give me a guy with a personality over a robot everyday of the week.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

But he was enemy #1, spiking on the star and such, and then signed with Dallas. 

I'd blame the team for signing him if he was that offensive to you.

Honestly this "we are mortally offended that this guy danced/stood/spiked on our precious patch of grass" thing from sports fans is pretty silly.

32 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'd blame the team for signing him if he was that offensive to you.

Honestly this "we are mortally offended that this guy danced/stood/spiked on our precious patch of grass" thing from sports fans is pretty silly.

In your opinion. In my opinion, when someone goes out of their way to try to offend you, well then you are justified in being offended or in just not liking someone. 

2 minutes ago, dbunting said:

In your opinion. In my opinion, when someone goes out of their way to try to offend you, well then you are justified in being offended or in just not liking someone. 

That actually caused you offense? It's just a game, man. 

22 minutes ago, dbunting said:

No skin off my nose that TO's time as a Cowboy was so offensive to you. Your emotions are your emotions, do as you like.

I will tell you I very much enjoyed the horrified reaction of Dallas fans and that enjoyment kept me defending TO for longer than I otherwise would have. I still think the Sharpie and the pompoms were pretty cool.

2 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

That actually caused you offense? It's just a game, man. 

I said I felt dirty cheering for him. @DanteGabriel brought up offended and I just played with it, cuz, well, this is an internet board and I am bored! 

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

No skin off my nose that TO's time as a Cowboy was so offensive to you. Your emotions are your emotions, do as you like.

To set the record straight I was not personally offended nor did I lay awake at night contemplating the ramifications of this on the universe or my life as a whole. Half of what I said was tongue in cheek, you know, like needing a radiation shower. 

Maybe Vontez Burfict would be a better(more extreme) example, him signing with Pittsburgh next year, it just wouldn't seem right. So if he did and he played well, it would be strange for Pitt fans to cheer for him.

4 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I said I felt dirty cheering for him. @DanteGabriel brought up offended and I just played with it, cuz, well, this is an internet board and I am bored! 

To set the record straight I was not personally offended nor did I lay awake at night contemplating the ramifications of this on the universe or my life as a whole. Half of what I said was tongue in cheek, you know, like needing a radiation shower. 

Maybe Vontez Burfict would be a better(more extreme) example, him signing with Pittsburgh next year, it just wouldn't seem right. So if he did and he played well, it would be strange for Pitt fans to cheer for him.

Ok, fair. Some people really do take it too seriously though, so I don't feel out of bounds having asked.

21 hours ago, Rhom said:

McGlinchey’s also out 4-6. So our acknowledged lowest depth spot we’re gonna be running with back-ups for the foreseeable future. 4-1 is sounding good. 

Archived