NFL 2019: After A Quarter, Are They Who We Thought They Were?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

9 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

I think it's a combination of physical skills eroding and just being jumpy because his protection is unreliable and he doesn't trust anyone besides Edelman.

Also, he has always had a few bad games per season and it must be pointed out that even with this bad play, they still scored five touchdowns (albeit with help from defense and special teams) and left some points on the field because their starting kicker is injured.

The way they scored two of those touchdowns is a bit surprising to me though. I vaguely recall the Steelers refusing to do quarterback sneaks because of the risk of injury to their star quarterback whereas in this game, I think the Patriots tried it three times (two were touchdowns and one failed just before the touchdown that made it 14-0). Surely if there is one quarterback in the league with whom one would not want to take this chance, it's Brady. Not only is he one of the eldest to ever play, but he was never relatively big or strong in the first place. So what gives? Are quarterback sneaks not that likely to result in injury?

16 minutes ago, Altherion said:

So what gives? Are quarterback sneaks not that likely to result in injury?

I don’t know the stats, but it doesn’t seem all that dangerous for me.  Would seem less dangerous than a blindside sack coming full speed for sure.  A QB sneak is not much more than just leaning forward.  Not like there’s a ton of momentum built up and coming at you. :dunno: 

16 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Also, he has always had a few bad games per season and it must be pointed out that even with this bad play, they still scored five touchdowns (albeit with help from defense and special teams) and left some points on the field because their starting kicker is injured.

The way they scored two of those touchdowns is a bit surprising to me though. I vaguely recall the Steelers refusing to do quarterback sneaks because of the risk of injury to their star quarterback whereas in this game, I think the Patriots tried it three times (two were touchdowns and one failed just before the touchdown that made it 14-0). Surely if there is one quarterback in the league with whom one would not want to take this chance, it's Brady. Not only is he one of the eldest to ever play, but he was never relatively big or strong in the first place. So what gives? Are quarterback sneaks not that likely to result in injury?

That stance from the Steelers OC is fucking stupidity, nothing more. Brady's been executing the sneak at a high level his entire career, and he's never missed a game except for when Bernard Pollard fell into his knee while he was standing in a previously clean pocket.

It seems to me they've actually been using the sneak less this year. There were a few short yardage situations in previous games where I expected them to sneak and they didn't. It used to be more or less automatic on fourth and inches. So I was surprised to see it twice in one game, especially the second time when they had extra downs and the line had started getting movement later in the day.

I don't think the sneak is a particularly risky play but maybe it's best to lessen it when you have a 42 year old QB anyway.

Brady is 6' 4" and around 225-230, he isn't exactly small. The QB sneak is basically get behind one off lineman and push him, not a lot of hitting happening. Now, would I want him running boot legs or RPO, hell no.

2 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Ugh, now looks like Kittle is out too. What a depressing ‘short week’ this has been. Every day another starter is out, and this time it’s PFFs top rated NFL player in the league this year.

Gah... last I heard he was questionable!!!!

What a time to catch a vulnerable Rams team. :stillsick:

16 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I've been saying T.O. still has it for years. I think we're definitely on the same page.

Any excuse to post TO getting owned by my all time favorite Boston Asshole:

This season also had actual Olympians, a UFC fighter, and that greaseball sorta-rapper who's been accused of preying on underage girls, who actually named himself Riff-Raff. MTV really was throwing everything at the wall to see what would stick that year.

4 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Ugh, now looks like Kittle is out too.

Where you seeing that?  Last thing I read yesterday was he's listed as questionable and Shanahan expects him to play.  Only solace in following the injury reports this week is the Rams got some issues theirselves - looks like Gurley, Mathews, and Talib are all out.  Although apparently Gurley's backup has been doing better than him anyway?  Don't really know if that's true, read it in the comments of the niners blog I frequent.

Yeah, I think I overreacted. I heard ‘groin,  even if he plays he’ll be highly restricted’ and, given that out counter to missing both tackles and Juice was gonna be heavily TE oriented scheme, kinda threw my hands up and skyfalled. I’m now hearing will likely suit up unless it gets worse, which having some experience width pulled groins is not improbable. 

I agree the Rams are pretty beat up right now too...to me what’s been hard about this week has been the drip drip bad news, after Shannahan originally gave very optimistic projections post-game. We’re going to rely heavily on our D this week because I think like over 3/4 of our runs have been off tackle, with something like 18 off Mcglinchey last week to give Skule a break abs now I guess he’s our go to?

6 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Any excuse to post TO getting owned by my all time favorite Boston Asshole:

This season also had actual Olympians, a UFC fighter, and that greaseball sorta-rapper who's been accused of preying on underage girls, who actually named himself Riff-Raff. MTV really was throwing everything at the wall to see what would stick that year.

Loved TO getting shut down. I'm still addicted to that show.

On 10/11/2019 at 7:19 PM, Jace, Basilissa said:

I've been saying T.O. still has it for years. I think we're definitely on the same page.

My favorite TO memory is now always going to be him getting riled up on The Challenge and rage-quitting the show, which was for charity, because CT got in his head.

43 minutes ago, briantw said:

My favorite TO memory is now always going to be him getting riled up on The Challenge and rage-quitting the show, which was for charity, because CT got in his head.

CT wrecked him without really even trying, Imagine Bananas, Wes or Bear

Archived