NFL 2019: After A Quarter, Are They Who We Thought They Were?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

1 minute ago, Triskele said:

It was eerie how similar the plays and calls were.  But make no mistake, the first one was way more consequential.  Green Bay would have had to consider going for it on 4th and quite long or put it away when they were unlikely to be able to get the ball back twice.  Detroit would have been heavily favored had that sack stood.

The 2nd one...Green Bay probably still gets a game-winning field goal on that possession.  But after getting so badly screwed by the first one that 2nd one must be infuriating for Lion fans.  

I guess I didn't realize that if you're on the neck it's a legit call of illegal hands to the face.  I thought both looked like grabbing shoulder pads right up around the next, so if neck is a penalty I can at least see that it's a bit easier to get that call wrong.

The neck is a penalty if you're on the neck. It's not a penalty to be grabbing the inside of the shoulder pad.

I don't know how to get an example to show you, but it's a penalty if the guy literally has his hand on the trachea of the blocker, or under the chin strap. That is not what happened on either play.

6 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I wasn't saying otherwise.

I know, but I'm annoyed as shit. You're my pincushion this evening. Now hold still so I can feather you further.

Seriously, I had no real rooting interest as I want to see Matt Patricia fail as much as I dislike Friend of Sean McVay having success, but I'm disgusted by the officiating in a way I can't remember being. It's been six weeks of dog shit.

3 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Well you might be kind of luck in a perverse way cause had Detroit held on we'd be hearing about what a good start they have all of the sudden and maybe a lot of people were way too quick to bury Patricia.  

Actually, this may be a worst-case for such a result. As now Patty has an excuse for being .500 after an odd amount of games.

"I tell 'ya the Lions are for REAL!" Said the mouth-breathing 'analyst'. "They take Kansas City to the wire. Shoulda won that game!" The slack-jawed idiot declared, slamming a meaty fist into the table to emphasize the depth of his ignorant convictions.

Unable to witness such dipshittery without adding his own moronic assertions, the gentleman sitting opposite shook his head stupidly. "And let me tell YOU something!" Gesturing wildly in the direction of the camera, this second supposer adopted a grave expression. "The Lions. The Lions. As far as I'm concerned. They WON that game against the Packers. I tell you, they WON."

The pathetic tie surrendered to a rookie, an ancient candidate for Senate, and a Head Coach who belongs on The Bachelor went sadly unremarked upon.

So, on Thursday, the Pats … I forget… they beat… Georgia?  The Seahawks?  Who… The Giants… they beat a replica of the Giants.  And while the Pats looked like ass for like 2.3 quarters, the Giants are a horror show disguised as a dumpster fire, so none of it mattered.  The Pats have legit issues.  In no particular order, here are a few of them:

-No Legit Tight Ends: Without Gronk the Pats have an Izzo and a guy who is now on IR, so they resigned Ben Watson, who iI am fairly certain is 55 years old; 

-O’Line: Isaiah Wynn is a walking injury; the center stinks; and Marcus Cannon is playing with one arm.

-What Will The Team Do On the Bye Week Before Getting a Tomato-Can Divisional Playoff Opponent on Their Way to Getting Homefield in the AFC Championship Game?  I’m not joking, this is literally the Top Three hardest thing facing the Pats this season.  

Yes, the Pats WR core is banged up and word is they will trade for somebody.  But who?  Well, its not going to be Diggs, who looks all world right now; AJ Green has already said it won’t be him, which leaves the most likely candidate Mohammad Sanu.  Fucking great- a mediocre Receiver with no Up Side.  Maybe he can kidnap Julio.  

And with all that said… fucking doesn’t matter; the AFC cannot harness a decent #2 team to challenge the pats.  Here were your contenders:

-Chiefs: Lost two in a row; Mahomes is still great, but he’s clearly roughed up; their D is shit; third-worst in yards surrendered and giving up 24 points a game.  I checked FO and the KC D was ranked 18th in DVOAD and that was strange because I could have sworn there were more than 18 teams in the league.  The KC is is so fucking terrible that even Billy O’Brien knew to go for it on 4th and 6 with less than 2 min left to play.  That’s the Chiefs D- they even make Bill O’Brien look smaht. 

Honorable Stupidity: The #1 and #2 Offenses last season were the Chiefs and the Rams.  They are a combined 1-5 over the last three weeks.  While we are here- Goff had 78 yards passing all game.  In the first three quarters, he had something like 25.  He somehow managed to have a Passer R only 18 points lower than his yardage total.  His QBR (ESPN’s stat) was 1.1 out of 1oo.  Still seems high.   

-The Texans: The Texans are 0-for-all v. the Pats since like 1820.  While that’s a mild exaggeration (Pats are 10-1 since 2003 v the Texans and the lone loss was that throw-away regular-season finale game in 2009 where the Pats lost Welker on like the 3rd play of the game and were not trying anyway).  Deshaun Watson is not beating the pats at home and neither is JJ Watt or a fucking Texas tornado carrying Bowie knives.  Its not happening. The Texans are still stuck with a Belichick retread in O’Brien (who I like a lot), who will melt on the big stage like candle wax on day 8 of Hanukkah.  Give it up. 

-The Ravens: I swear, I should be afraid of them.  But I’m not. I mean, the loss to the Browns alone should eliminate any fear there.  Jackson is scary, but he’s also a Qb you can figure out against a legit D. Also, Harbaugh’s most successful move against the Pats was deflate-gate.  Great move, shit-for-brains.  Pats have been to 4 Superbowls since and won 3 of them.  You suck at this.  

-Cleveland: Remember when we thought the Browns mattered?  I know, I know, it was just me.  But did you watch that choke job yesterday?  Baker Mayfield is the perfect QB for Cleveland- he found a new way to destroy that city’s soul- an overrated terrible QB.  He’s Johnny Manziel without the shame.  He threw for less than 250 yards, 1 tD and 3 picks for an astounding PR of 54.  That’s Goff-esque.  OBJ is going to implode like Pruitt-Igoe Housing Complexes (read a book!) 

-The Colts: No.  

That’s it.  That’s the whole list of teams in the AFC That can challenge the Pats for a trip to… I don’t fucking know… Glenndale?   Bermuda?  ISIS occupied Syria?  I honestly don’t know or care- Miami, its Miami.  It’s the closest the Dolphins will be to a Superbowl for 3o years.  And the ONLY chance these teams have right now is if injuries make it so the Pats have to start the guys in Box 27, Row 9, Seats 34 and 35 at WR.  That’s it.

The NFC is far more competitive with the Seahawks, Saints and … fuck me, the 49’ers showing the league how its done.  Amazing.  49ers v Pats would be the best Superbowl imaginable.  Oh, and Dallas is still there… no they aren’t.  

Regardless, the Pats could lose 3 games and still pretty much have Home Field locked up.  

I don’t know why you read this; I don’t know why I wrote it.  All I know is none of it matters because its not January yet. 

6 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

So, on Thursday, the Pats … I forget… they beat… Georgia?  The Seahawks?  Who… The Giants… they beat a replica of the Giants.  And while the Pats looked like ass for like 2.3 quarters, the Giants are a horror show disguised as a dumpster fire, so none of it mattered.  The Pats have legit issues.  In no particular order, here are a few of them:

-No Legit Tight Ends: Without Gronk the Pats have an Izzo and a guy who is now on IR, so they resigned Ben Watson, who iI am fairly certain is 55 years old; 

-O’Line: Isaiah Wynn is a walking injury; the center stinks; and Marcus Cannon is playing with one arm.

-What Will The Team Do On the Bye Week Before Getting a Tomato-Can Divisional Playoff Opponent on Their Way to Getting Homefield in the AFC Championship Game?  I’m not joking, this is literally the Top Three hardest thing facing the Pats this season.  

Yes, the Pats WR core is banged up and word is they will trade for somebody.  But who?  Well, its not going to be Diggs, who looks all world right now; AJ Green has already said it won’t be him, which leaves the most likely candidate Mohammad Sanu.  Fucking great- a mediocre Receiver with no Up Side.  Maybe he can kidnap Julio.  

And with all that said… fucking doesn’t matter; the AFC cannot harness a decent #2 team to challenge the pats.  Here were your contenders:

-Chiefs: Lost two in a row; Mahomes is still great, but he’s clearly roughed up; their D is shit; third-worst in yards surrendered and giving up 24 points a game.  I checked FO and the KC D was ranked 18th in DVOAD and that was strange because I could have sworn there were more than 18 teams in the league.  The KC is is so fucking terrible that even Billy O’Brien knew to go for it on 4th and 6 with less than 2 min left to play.  That’s the Chiefs D- they even make Bill O’Brien look smaht. 

Honorable Stupidity: The #1 and #2 Offenses last season were the Chiefs and the Rams.  They are a combined 1-5 over the last three weeks.  While we are here- Goff had 78 yards passing all game.  In the first three quarters, he had something like 25.  He somehow managed to have a Passer R only 18 points lower than his yardage total.  His QBR (ESPN’s stat) was 1.1 out of 1oo.  Still seems high.   

-The Texans: The Texans are 0-for-all v. the Pats since like 1820.  While that’s a mild exaggeration (Pats are 10-1 since 2003 v the Texans and the lone loss was that throw-away regular-season finale game in 2009 where the Pats lost Welker on like the 3rd play of the game and were not trying anyway).  Deshaun Watson is not beating the pats at home and neither is JJ Watt or a fucking Texas tornado carrying Bowie knives.  Its not happening. The Texans are still stuck with a Belichick retread in O’Brien (who I like a lot), who will melt on the big stage like candle wax on day 8 of Hanukkah.  Give it up. 

-The Ravens: I swear, I should be afraid of them.  But I’m not. I mean, the loss to the Browns alone should eliminate any fear there.  Jackson is scary, but he’s also a Qb you can figure out against a legit D. Also, Harbaugh’s most successful move against the Pats was deflate-gate.  Great move, shit-for-brains.  Pats have been to 4 Superbowls since and won 3 of them.  You suck at this.  

-Cleveland: Remember when we thought the Browns mattered?  I know, I know, it was just me.  But did you watch that choke job yesterday?  Baker Mayfield is the perfect QB for Cleveland- he found a new way to destroy that city’s soul- an overrated terrible QB.  He’s Johnny Manziel without the shame.  He threw for less than 250 yards, 1 tD and 3 picks for an astounding PR of 54.  That’s Goff-esque.  OBJ is going to implode like Pruitt-Igoe Housing Complexes (read a book!) 

-The Colts: No.  

That’s it.  That’s the whole list of teams in the AFC That can challenge the Pats for a trip to… I don’t fucking know… Glenndale?   Bermuda?  ISIS occupied Syria?  I honestly don’t know or care- Miami, its Miami.  It’s the closest the Dolphins will be to a Superbowl for 3o years.  And the ONLY chance these teams have right now is if injuries make it so the Pats have to start the guys in Box 27, Row 9, Seats 34 and 35 at WR.  That’s it.

The NFC is far more competitive with the Seahawks, Saints and … fuck me, the 49’ers showing the league how its done.  Amazing.  49ers v Pats would be the best Superbowl imaginable.  Oh, and Dallas is still there… no they aren’t.  

Regardless, the Pats could lose 3 games and still pretty much have Home Field locked up.  

I don’t know why you read this; I don’t know why I wrote it.  All I know is none of it matters because its not January yet. 

I think it's brilliant.

16 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

The Bears set out the formula to take away the run and make him actually read the defense by having a 6 man front that presents no obvious pre-snap voids where Sean can tell him to throw into. 

Belichick then improved upon this formula by dropping his fastest player into the box to neutralize the crossing routes that are the most advanced route Goff is able to execute on his own.

Now all defenses are doing their own version of this when they play the Rams.

The Vikings also deserve some credit. His worst outing in 2017 was against them, and that’s because I think they were the first team to figure out that he can’t read defenses on his own at all. All you have to do against Goff is get the play clock to drop below 15 seconds. Then McVay can’t tell him what to do.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

The Vikings also deserve some credit. His worst outing in 2017 was against them, and that’s because I think they were the first team to figure out that he can’t read defenses on his own at all. All you have to do against Goff is get the play clock to drop below 15 seconds. Then McVay can’t tell him what to do.

It's kinda like what the Chargers, Ryan Jets, and Patriots used to do to Peyton Manning before the passing rules got Full Polian. Lots of guys milling around the LOS waiting for all his chicanery to end before transitioning to their actual alignment.

21 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

It's kinda like what the Chargers, Ryan Jets, and Patriots used to do to Peyton Manning before the passing rules got Full Polian. Lots of guys milling around the LOS waiting for all his chicanery to end before transitioning to their actual alignment.

Pretty much. They’d run nickel then bring a safety up and put eight in the box. You’d have no idea who is rushing and who is dropping back. Goff couldn’t figure it out to save his life and was clearly guessing….poorly.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Pretty much. They’d run nickel then bring a safety up and put eight in the box. You’d have no idea who is rushing and who is dropping back. Goff couldn’t figure it out to save his life and was clearly guessing….poorly.

Yeah, he ain't no rocket surgeon.

You know how some normal looking guys look really dumb when they put on a helmet?   It's been something to chuckle at and then dismiss, but now I wonder if it's an actual indicator!   Like, maybe the helmet hides the extraneous details of the person's head and leaves only the true football face.   So when they look like a duh.....   

Statisticians should immediately check to see if this correlates with QB performance, because isn't Goff kindofa 'helmet duh' ?

Okay so a HUGE story to hit the Pats.  Michael Bennett Has Been Suspended for Eleven Snaps

Actually, Bennett has been suspended for a whole game, but he plays so little now that it almost does not matter.  IIRC, against the Division 2 Giants, Bennett played 11 whole snaps, down from 16 the week before.  Bennett has been a complete bust since he got here (its not a Defensive Scheme he does well in; you know? One where he's not 27 years old).  Bennett has been in the middle of trade rumors since week 2, but his Cap Hit is $6.5 Mil, which would be the 7th biggest Cap Hit on the team, in front of guys who can actually play like Kyle van Noy, Juliene Edleman, and three water boys.  

I'd be stunned if Bennet is on the team after the Browns game (2 weeks), but he'll likely be outright cut, as nobody would be stupid enough to trade for him.  

And that is a total jinx for the Raiders to jump in.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

...Is he gonna play offense too?  Cuz that's their problem.

Everything I've read also indicates he's dead set on reaching Free Agency so the Rams might have paid a King's Ransom for a three year rental.

5 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Titans benching Mariota?

Yeah, he showed a lot of promise at times, but his play is trending in the wrong way the past year and a half.  He can probably play another ten years as a career backup, but I think he isn't starter material.

20 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Ramsey to the Rams for two 1sts and '21 4th.

Just a baffling trade.  Ramsey is a good player, but the way he forced himself out of Jax should give any team pause.  And paying two #1s for him?!  Maybe the Rams haven't accepted reality, but they aren't likely to make the playoffs this year, that is probably going to be a pick in the 15-20 range.  There aren't going to be any players available with Ramsey's full skill set, but those are still potentially great players, and with more years on their rookie deal. 

It's almost as bad as the Redskins still refusing to trade Trent Williams, in spite of there being half a dozen teams desperate for an OT and no chance that he'll ever play again in Washington.  Is this what "winning off the field" looks like? 

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

And paying two #1s for him?!  Maybe the Rams haven't accepted reality, but they aren't likely to make the playoffs this year, that is probably going to be a pick in the 15-20 range. 

Not sure that I would be ready to toss it in either.
Even if you give the NFC first wildcard to SF/SEA loser, the other competitors for it all have serious problems.

Carolina is trending the wrong way and has QB problems.  Plus they are pretty much a one-man offense.
Minnesota has a division even tougher than the NFC West.
Chicago, same argument.
Detroit, same argument
Philly/Dallas loser could get hot, could implode.

Any of those teams could stink.  But they could also get hot.  But that includes the Rams.

Archived