Literature Of Old: Plutarch, Appian, Herodotus

The Sunland Lord

52 minutes ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

Ah, but here's the thing - it's not Socrates. It's Plato and Xenophon's take on him, which is a very different thing. I swear though, if we have one thing to be grateful to Plato for, it's the fact that he has saved us from Xenophon's Socrates being the one known to history (well, him and Aristophanes, who is my next read).

Yes I know, it's just that, Socrates is the main theme and pretty much feels like he's a co-author while reading the Republic. Sorry if I misled you.

5 hours ago, A wilding said:

"Lioness on a cheese grater" surely? As I understand it, there is no consensus as to exactly what position it was.

However a (female) friend of ours who teaches Classics enjoys embarrassing her students by discussing it.

There are only a limited number of ways to do the deed. I imagine it was something men enjoyed more than women did. 

7 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Sounds nasty. 

I have the feeling that Aristophanes may have been teasing his audience by creating a mock sexual position that would leave them wondering what they were missing out on. The man was a comedian.

Funnily, I'm deep into Curtius' History of Alexander right now - which differs a little bit from the original (Greek) Alexander Romance.

And due to Sir Leech's post, I finally gave in and bought Plato's early short dialogues. At long last, time to go back to the man and read some Socrates (had read, the Symposion and the trilogy of Socrates' last days years ago).

On 11/18/2019 at 12:50 PM, sologdin said:

here's a goat on a cheese grater. maybe the bottom position in the phrase in question mimics this posture?

I just got a complimentary photo magazine with my daily newspaper, and while leafing through the mag what do I see but a photo of a male lion having sex with a female in the same position as the goat assumes. I guess that settles that.

Archived