MLB Post/Off-season: Houston, We Have a Problem

Myshkin

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

Congrats to the Nats who were the far better team in this series.   Man, that 8th got compelling for a second there.

Starting pitching is so strong that I like their chances in the WS but then again both of those AL lineups have to scare Washington far more than St. Louis did as well.

Nats might just get to have a solid little break here too before game 1.  

I mean the memories of that 6-0 lead in 2012 NLDS game 5 against the Cards is still fresh. If anyone can blow a 7-0 lead, it's the Nats. And looked like they were on their way once it was 7-4 bases loaded in the 8th. Is it bad that our closer is visibly nervous everytime he comes out? That feels not great. Hudson getting that groundout, thank god. Even when it's easy, it's not easy. 

That said still feel like pulling out that 5 game win over the 106 win Dodgers unlocked something in this team. Was fully prepared for them to get stuck in a morass against this cagey Cards team and they'd blow winnable games and then the series. Instead the aces shut everything down, everyone did their job and they cruised. It's been years I've envisioned them playing like this. They finally did.

It's still hard for me to get my mind around this team being in the WS. As much as this has been a dream run they're going to be the underdog whoever they face. 

But rooting hard for the Yankees. The Nats already went through hell against a historically great Dodgers team. And this Astros team looming is the most loaded I've ever seen. Seriously who is the last team to assemble top level talent like this? Nothing is coming to mind. Not looking to shock the world here. C'mon Yankees find a way to pull this out and let's have a great World Series among very good teams with very different strengths.

15 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Torres is clearly locked in so why move him? Bat Gardner 4th then and move Edwin down 1. 

Agreed, although I don't think it'd change much.  Didi put the blame all on himself for yesterday, and, well, 5 LOB...

1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Cole looked mortal last night and they did nothing with the chances they had. Voit or slightly injured Stanton could be doing more with the opportunities than Encarnacion.  

Hm, this kinda falls into the "it can't get any worse" fallacy, especially with Voit - did you see how he was hitting last time he got the chance?  If Stanton ever gets back in the lineup though, I could see him replacing Encarnacion rather than anyone else.

ETA:  Oh, also saw the game today is officially postponed until tomorrow.  As if the Astros needed more advantages.  :bang:

57 minutes ago, DMC said:

Agreed, although I don't think it'd change much.  Didi put the blame all on himself for yesterday, and, well, 5 LOB...

Hm, this kinda falls into the "it can't get any worse" fallacy, especially with Voit - did you see how he was hitting last time he got the chance?  If Stanton ever gets back in the lineup though, I could see him replacing Encarnacion rather than anyone else.

ETA:  Oh, also saw the game today is officially postponed until tomorrow.  As if the Astros needed more advantages.  :bang:

I had tickets for game 5 so now I have to wait until Friday. I'm not looking forward to it.

God damnit Yanks. I said previous to this post-season that the Houston/NY ALCS would be one for the ages. My Redbirds just put up one of the all-time worst post-season series, so if you don't mind, would you please pull yours heads out of your pinstriped asses and win the next two (and hopefully three) games. I want some truly epic October baseball.

15 hours ago, DMC said:

I don't like bitching about officiating, but I'm gonna bitch about officiating.  Fuck this guy and his strike zone.  He's giving Greinke everything and Tanaka nothing.

As someone who got to watch Greinke pitch for his team for a number of years I can tell you that expanding the strike zone is part of his skill set. He routinely gets calls that opposing pitchers don’t get because he does the work to set up those calls.

Archived