MLB Post/Off-season: Houston, We Have a Problem

Myshkin

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:15 PM, Myshkin said:

Apparently early on in the 2019 season MLB monitors at Minute Made Park were explicitly told by the league to listen for banging sounds coming from the Astro dugout. So yeah, it seems like the league has known about this shit  for a while, but wanted to keep it all quiet.

That makes so much sense.

That's quite the deal for Grandal, especially in this market.  Good for him.

Surprised the Yanks cut Ellsbury loose.  Most of the prospects they added to the 40 were necessities, but definitely not Brooks Kriske.  Guess maybe whatever insurance company they were collecting on was finally like "alright if you do this another year we're gonna sue you."

if taking away draft picks and trying to fine a billionaire is the best Rob Manfred can come up with then he might as well install a new center field spy camera in Houston with his own two damn hands.

That is nothing against winning a world series.  A pittance of a price that all 30 teams should happily pay to win and 30 fanbases should now demand their teams pay.

Go look at the NFL to see how worthless and toothless that is as a punishment, and the message it sends to both perpetrator and victim.

Better to just declare it legal and let everyone do it openly/overtly, than to give the Astros a non-punishing punishment and claiming the problem is solved when countless observers can plainly see that it is not.

I think losing draft picks and international bonus pool money (hopefully several years’ worth of both) will hit the Astros pretty hard. But I also don’t think those will be the only penalties handed out. If I had to guess right now I’d say Jeff Luhnow and quite a few others are gonna get hit with a lifetime ban. It’s possible that Jim Crane will get hit with one too. Hinch and maybe Cora are looking at lengthy suspensions. Crippling the Astros’ ability to acquire young cheap talent for a few years will serve as punishment, but it’s the bans and suspensions that will serve as a deterrent. 

On 11/21/2019 at 11:59 AM, Myshkin said:

Yanks finally cut bait on Jacoby Ellsbury, will eat the remaining $26mm on his contract.

Update: Yanks don’t intend to eat the remaining $26mm on Ellsbury’s contract. They intend to void his contract on the basis that he had unauthorized medical treatments. 

4 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

They intend to void his contract on the basis that he had unauthorized medical treatments. 

Ah, things make sense now.  Also, read here that Ellsbury's deal was not insured for 2020.  Didn't know that, but of course they were gonna dump him then.

On 11/21/2019 at 7:49 PM, Frances Bean Corbray said:

That is nothing against winning a world series.  A pittance of a price that all 30 teams should happily pay to win and 30 fanbases should now demand their teams pay.

For me it is about winning and a team deserves rewarding for making the extra effort to steal signs. Fuck the crybabies who  did less to win and wanna cry now.

I do not view sign stealing as wrong. It should be incumbent on the other team to be strategic enough to relay signs that can't be stolen, not penalize a team that uses their ability to read your signs. I never viewed what the Pats did as wrong either, rather my view is a team should be obligated to use any and all means to be the victor, the lesser team that hasn't made the effort to win deserves no mercy.

Losers don't like it, come up with a better strategy for relaying your signals from now on.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

For me it is about winning and a team deserves rewarding for making the extra effort to steal signs. Fuck the crybabies who  did less to win and wanna cry now.

I do not view sign stealing as wrong. It should be incumbent on the other team to be strategic enough to relay signs that can't be stolen, not penalize a team that uses their ability to read your signs. I never viewed what the Pats did as wrong either, rather my view is a team should be obligated to use any and all means to be the victor, the lesser team that hasn't made the effort to win deserves no mercy.

Losers don't like it, come up with a better strategy for relaying your signals from now on.

Yup, roids, corked bats, doctored balls, cameras in the visitors clubhouse, hacking into other teams’ databases; all this should totally be legal. It’s called winning, dummies.

Conversely, a game is only a game if it follows a certain set of predetermined rules, and if one does not follow said rules, one cannot be said to have actually won the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Yanks reportedly open bidding on Gerrit Cole with a 7yr/$245mm offer. Yikes, that’s one hell of an offer. And that’s the opening bid. I have a hard time seeing the Dodgers topping that, though I could see the Angels getting desperate and tacking an extra year or two on.

17 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Yanks reportedly open bidding on Gerrit Cole with a 7yr/$245mm offer. Yikes, that’s one hell of an offer. And that’s the opening bid. I have a hard time seeing the Dodgers topping that, though I could see the Angels getting desperate and tacking an extra year or two on.

If the Angels top that and go that far I won't even be mad. 

Smart of Hal to get it out there he was offering 7/35 AAV.  Hard to give him shit if the Angels outbid that.  Agree with Myshkin, I don't see the Dodgers matching that, let alone topping it.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Smart of Hal to get it out there he was offering 7/35 AAV.  Hard to give him shit if the Angels outbid that.  Agree with Myshkin, I don't see the Dodgers matching that, let alone topping it.

I can see the Dodgers going the same route as they did with Harper last year, with a shorter contract and a higher AAV. Something along the lines of 5yrs/$200mm. But I don’t imagine Cole would take that offer over 7yrs/$245mm.

Archived