MLB Post/Off-season: Houston, We Have a Problem

Myshkin

9 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Cole will probably be making almost half of what the entire Pirates opening day payroll could end up around next season. As a big Cole fan, I'm happy he got paid, that guy is a competitor. As a sucker who keeps coming back for more Pirates fan, it's a reminder of how this nickel and dime organization doesn't give a fuck about actually winning. 

Yeah but there's the over 130 years of history like this here- 

14 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Cole will probably be making almost half of what the entire Pirates opening day payroll could end up around next season. As a big Cole fan, I'm happy he got paid, that guy is a competitor. As a sucker who keeps coming back for more Pirates fan, it's a reminder of how this nickel and dime organization doesn't give a fuck about actually winning. 

I heard a stat yesterday that I find hard to believe. Cole’s contract is worth more than what the Pirates have spent on free agents in the last decade combined.

12 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Rendon signed with the Angels.

So disappointing. Sounds like the difference came down to deferrals rather than total payout. Woulda thought anything close to a tie he'd return to the Nats where he's a living legend and beloved by his teammates. Going to miss the utter confidence I felt knowing Tony Two Bags is coming up in the lineup. Can't remotely replace everything he brought, most of all his clutchness. Really bummed out by this. 

Guess the Nats try to bring in Donaldson now along with the 4 other teams who missed out on Rendon. He's the only remotely comparable guy left and the last chance to continue contending in earnest but, man, not the same. 

15 hours ago, Triskele said:

"Then we're no different than the Mad King!"

"Careful, Ned, careful!"

And now rumor is that your filthy Redbirds are targeting my beautiful baby boy Hyun-jin. What is this world coming to?

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I heard a stat yesterday that I find hard to believe. Cole’s contract is worth more than what the Pirates have spent on free agents in the last decade combined.

That's extremely believable, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure the biggest contract they've ever handed out was to Jason Kendall back in '00 or '01. Like $60 million over 6 years IIRC and he wasn't a free agent. This is the team that traded Francisco Liriano to the Blue Jays along with two of their top ten prospects for Drew Hutchison just to get out from the remaining $18 million on Liriano's deal. Bob Nutting fucking sucks.

16 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

That's extremely believable, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure the biggest contract they've ever handed out was to Jason Kendall back in '00 or '01. Like $60 million over 6 years IIRC and he wasn't a free agent. This is the team that traded Francisco Liriano to the Blue Jays along with two of their top ten prospects for Drew Hutchison just to get out from the remaining $18 million on Liriano's deal. Bob Nutting fucking sucks.

Do not say that name in my presence again! He is the symbol of what could of been for one of the most talented teams ever.

17 minutes ago, Triskele said:

We will feast.

You fiends do not deserve my beautiful and cherished first born child, and you know it! You can have that shitkicking redass Bumgarner, but never my beloved Hyun-jin. Do you hear me, Spoono? If you continue in this underhanded pursuit, there will be repercussions.

On 12/12/2019 at 9:47 AM, Tywin et al. said:

I need to correct myself. It was not over the last decade. It was over the last quarter century.

On 12/13/2019 at 11:01 AM, Tywin et al. said:

I need to correct myself. It was not over the last decade. It was over the last quarter century.

Yeah, I was thinking this over and in my head I counted Kendall and McCutchen (roughly $110 million between the two), but they weren't FA's. Which makes it even fucking worse now. I'm going to get you again with your boy Frankie Liriano. He holds the biggest FA contract in Pirates history, at a whopping 3 yr/$39 million deal. Next was Ivan Nova at 3 yr/$26, and finally Russell Martin at 2 yr/$17. Yes, a $13 million AAV is the tops here, how fucking pathetic.

They have paid some homegrown talent, but that's just to buy out their arbitration years most of the time and the players have all fizzled out except Marte and McCutchen. 

Betances to the Mets.  Player option for a second year and vesting for the third.  While the numbers for those years haven't been released to my knowledge, the first being $10 million to $13 based on incentives suggests I can't really blame the Yanks for refusing to match.  That's quite the deal coming off an achilles tear.

• 2 weeks later...

Red Sox stand accused of using their video replay room during games to steal signs during the 2018 season. This is fundamentally different from the Astros sign stealing scheme, as the ‘Stros were relaying those stolen signs to the batter in real time, and the Sawks were not. For me this is not nearly as big of a deal as what the Astros did, but as they were deciphering signs during games it is still clearly against the rules. Unfortunately for the Sawks, considering what’s going on with the Astros right now, and considering the fact that they were caught and punished for stealing signs in the very recent past, they’re probably looking at a steeper punishment than they would have otherwise gotten. 

Why doesn't MLB switch to an ear piece worn by catcher and pitcher like in the NFL. Once the pitcher gets to the set position on the mound the ear piece goes quiet, no way to steal signs if there are no signs? Would be a great excuse to put a helmet on the pitcher for safety, just say it's to hold the speaker.

I'm not sure the Mariners will have any players at all by spring.  DiPoto has said this will be another rough year.  He says they have a plan of some sort, though.  I think he said that.  Maybe I imagined it while pretending to interview him in my train.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

Why doesn't MLB switch to an ear piece worn by catcher and pitcher like in the NFL. Once the pitcher gets to the set position on the mound the ear piece goes quiet, no way to steal signs if there are no signs? Would be a great excuse to put a helmet on the pitcher for safety, just say it's to hold the speaker.

Couldn't the hitter potentially hear the catcher calling pitches, which is pretty much the basis for signs in the first place?

Archived