MLB Post/Off-season: Houston, We Have a Problem

Myshkin

30 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

I have absolutely no doubt that the Dodgers would have beat the Astros if the Astros hadn’t been cheating.

Yeah, one could equally say the same thing about the Yanks in the ALCS.  I'm just not as sure as you.  Although I do agree with the asterisk, especially considering its precedent.

32 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

But I do think the next CBA should outline punishments for players who participate in illegal sign stealing schemes.

Good point.

6 hours ago, Jaime L said:

*sigh* Lost another one to the big market Twins. 

Is he any good? Either way I'm just happy to see this cheap a** team spending money.

Also, The Twin Cities isn't exactly a small market. We're people too!!!

On 1/14/2020 at 6:08 PM, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

They'll do the Mets thing and keep Beltran. 

This was my initial feeling as well. But then I was reminded by Mike Puma of the New York Post that integrity is Fred Wilpon’s middle name. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Oh, stop exaggerating.

1 hour ago, Myshkin said:

Oh, stop exaggerating.

Agreed.  Ty trying to say he's a person is a gross exaggeration.

Feel like Beltran's ouster is inevitable at this point.  Gotta think it's gonna be too much of a distraction otherwise, don't think this type of antipathy is gonna just go away.

11 hours ago, DMC said:

Agreed.  Ty trying to say he's a person is a gross exaggeration.

Feel like Beltran's ouster is inevitable at this point.  Gotta think it's gonna be too much of a distraction otherwise, don't think this type of antipathy is gonna just go away.

I am already imagining the media circus on the first day of Spring Training if they don't.

On another baseball forum, someone linked a guy's tweet referring to a random other person's tweet that said Beltran would step down as manager. That original account apparently originally broke Beltrans signing as well, a few days before others.

This fourth degree of separation detective work agrees with my eye test - I don't see any way the Mets weather the storm if he says "Ya I was in on it, oops?" Or if he goes hard and denies, denies, denies. He is out, far as I'm guessing.

The only reasonable argument available is that this whole thing came from management, and he's just a player, he did what he was told.  He didn't want to get a reputation as someone who creates problems and isn't helping his team win.  He had little choice but to go along with it. 

That, combined with an apology, MIGHT be enough. 

13 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

You guys are literally trying to pass off two cities as one to inflate your numbers, but sure.

Google market shares. Nearly everyone does it, and honestly it’s mainly two cities because of natural barriers. How is the Twin Cities any different from NYC? That’s five cities counting as one plus they get Jersey City’s market share too.

13 hours ago, Myshkin said:

.Oh, stop exaggerating.

Rich coming from a L.A. goblin. I once saw a dancing two foot tall person in your city with half an arm, a finger coming out of a stump on his shoulder and he had no feet. That’s your city bruh.

15 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is he any good? Either way I'm just happy to see this cheap a** team spending money.

He was a 5 WAR guy last year. Good power hitter. Last impact FA on the market. 

He's 34 so he could decline fast at anytime but you'll probably get 2 years or so of star production. Would rather him be a Twin than a Brave. 

55 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

He was a 5 WAR guy last year. Good power hitter. Last impact FA on the market. 

He's 34 so he could decline fast at anytime but you'll probably get 2 years or so of star production. Would rather him be a Twin than a Brave. 

We’ll just give him some juice. No one seemed to mind that we had multiple steroid guys help us set the single season HR record for a team.

Also, I can’t figure out why we’re spilling money on the floor for another bat when what we desperately need is pitching.

13 hours ago, DMC said:

Beltran’s got no managerial experience at any level, so you gotta believe that PR considerations played at least a part in his hiring. Dude used to be a good story. Now not so much. I can’t see how even the Mets would be dumb enough to keep him around. But, then again, this is the Mets we’re talking about, and it’s never wise to bet against the Mets doing something dumb.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Rich coming from a L.A. goblin. I once saw a dancing two foot tall person in your city with half an arm, a finger coming out of a stump on his shoulder and he had no feet. That’s your city bruh.

Hey that guy’s a city councilman, and he’s a good dude. I voted for him.

Archived