MLB Post/Off-season: Houston, We Have a Problem

Myshkin

2 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Stay tuned for Mets announcing Alex Cora as their new manager.

LOL!  That's literally just what my brother said on how they could still Mets it up when we heard the news 10 minutes ago.

17 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

uh, so 

Between this and the daughter of the gerrymandering mastermind dumping all his shit in public, I'm a fan of Rogue Relative Twitter. Come on, Barron, let's get you a burner smartphone.

So when are the players actually going top start catching some L's here? I feel like the Astros as an organisation should just be suspended for all of 2020, and I mean ALL OF IT. No draft. No FAs. No games. No pay. No nothing. 

33 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

So when are the players actually going top start catching some L's here? I feel like the Astros as an organisation should just be suspended for all of 2020, and I mean ALL OF IT. No draft. No FAs. No games. No pay. No nothing. 

I don't think they want to hit the players. That'd be picking a fight with the players' union. It'd also tarnish the game more in popular opinion, I think. It's one thing to axe a manager, another thing to suspend someone like Altuve or Bregman. That'd be a big black eye for the sport, and if it gets litigious between the union and the league, imagine the potential can of worms that legal discovery would be.

Similarly, I'd be very surprised if there are much in the way of club penalties. Certainly no owners will get hit very hard. I'd bet, speaking as a cynic and not as a Sox fan, that the league is going to find very little in their investigation of the 2018 Red Sox and try and make this thing blow over after scapegoating three managers and a GM. They don't want two straight titles to be tainted in public perception and they certainly don't want to find more clubs did this shit.

12 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I don't think they want to hit the players. That'd be picking a fight with the players' union. It'd also tarnish the game more in popular opinion, I think. It's one thing to axe a manager, another thing to suspend someone like Altuve or Bregman. That'd be a big black eye for the sport, and if it gets litigious between the union and the league, imagine the potential can of worms that legal discovery would be.

Similarly, I'd be very surprised if there are much in the way of club penalties. Certainly no owners will get hit very hard. I'd bet, speaking as a cynic and not as a Sox fan, that the league is going to find very little in their investigation of the 2018 Red Sox and try and make this thing blow over after scapegoating three managers and a GM. They don't want two straight titles to be tainted in public perception and they certainly don't want to find more clubs did this shit.

I get all of that, but we could truly be looking at a Black Sox situation here. This cheating is systemic, and now two champions are tainted. Some host the other day was theorizing about what if they wore wires under their uniforms, which to me sounds completely insane, but guess what, IT LOOKS LIKE THEY WERE ACTUALLY WEARING WIRES!!!

I think the only way to really fix this is by handing out stiff penalties to all parties involved plus they need to do a league wide investigation. I almost always take the side of leniency, but this is a situation which demands the velvet glove be removed followed by "HULK SMASH."

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I get all of that, but we could truly be looking at a Black Sox situation here. This cheating is systemic, and now two champions are tainted. Some host the other day was theorizing about what if they wore wires under their uniforms, which to me sounds completely insane, but guess what, IT LOOKS LIKE THEY WERE ACTUALLY WEARING WIRES!!!

I think the only way to really fix this is by handing out stiff penalties to all parties involved plus they need to do a league wide investigation. I almost always take the side of leniency, but this is a situation which demands the velvet glove be removed followed by "HULK SMASH."

They were going to let the Sox 2018 cheating get swept under the rug until the Athletic broke a story. Let's see what good old fashioned journalism can do.

The more I think about it the more I feel like this whole investigation and announcement were designed to be little more than a show. They shitcan a couple of dudes, hit the ‘Stros with a penalty that will sting but not cripple, and then tell everyone to shut the fuck up about it. Meanwhile they go out of their way to completely exonerate Jim Crane (even orchestrate an opportunity for him to get good press out of it) and find no other wrongdoing besides that which was already public knowledge. They even report that the ‘Stros voluntarily ended their cheating scheme because it was ineffective, thereby signaling to the fans that the outcome of games was probably not affected by the cheating. Bullshit. I’m not buying it.

6 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

The more I think about it the more I feel like this whole investigation and announcement were designed to be little more than a show. They shitcan a couple of dudes, hit the ‘Stros with a penalty that will sting but not cripple, and then tell everyone to shut the fuck up about it. Meanwhile they go out of their way to completely exonerate Jim Crane (even orchestrate an opportunity for him to get good press out of it) and find no other wrongdoing besides that which was already public knowledge. They even report that the ‘Stros voluntarily ended their cheating scheme because it was ineffective, thereby signaling to the fans that the outcome of games was probably not affected by the cheating. Bullshit. I’m not buying it.

Well for that to be true the Commissioner would have to be a stooge and a flunkie for owners.

:dunno:

Just now, DanteGabriel said:

Well for that to be true the Commissioner would have to be a stooge and a flunkie for owners.

:dunno:

An outrageous accusation, I know. But here’s the thing, I’m starting to believe it might be true.

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

Can we take a moment to reflect on the fact that, at the moment, the fallout from this is that two dominant Champions have gone down in the scandal...and the Mets too.  

I feel like all scandals, in all spheres of life, should end with “...and the Mets too”.

And now people will be digging at every players stats from those series to see if it "looks" like they were cheating. Local radio guy is a Yankees fan and he was going off yesterday. I'm not going to put the accused players name in here but I want to say that in the WS his home OPS(?) was like 1.517 and his road was .497? Whether he cheated or not, stats like that will get a second look now.

14 hours ago, Myshkin said:

The reason it was done that way is because they needed to be able to fire them with cause while protecting the owner. Otherwise he’d have to be removed too.

It's not actually Beltran's niece but some folks (including maybe Gary Sheffield's kid?) think it's an active player's burner account.

And according to this story, MLB has tried to get ahead of this by saying they investigated the possibility of "wearable devices" but found nothing to corroborate it.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2020/01/mlb-rumors-carlos-beltrans-niece-says-astros-jose-altuve-alex-bregman-wore-devices-that-buzzed-as-part-of-sign-stealing-scandal.html

Keep burning.

I'm not a huge baseball fan and part of that is how archaic it is.  The game needs to evolve.  I've gotten tired of hearing all the stories of players upset that this came out and that teams don't want Fiers in their clubhouse.  Astros have put MLB in a horrible spot here, but the culture surrounding baseball is ridiculous.  The idea that you deserve to be plunked with a fastball for watching your HR to long but should look away while blatant cheating goes on is backwards.

38 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I'm not a huge baseball fan and part of that is how archaic it is.  The game needs to evolve.  I've gotten tired of hearing all the stories of players upset that this came out and that teams don't want Fiers in their clubhouse.  Astros have put MLB in a horrible spot here, but the culture surrounding baseball is ridiculous.  The idea that you deserve to be plunked with a fastball for watching your HR to long but should look away while blatant cheating goes on is backwards.

Preach brother. I’d rather go to South Korea and attend a game there than go to a MLB game (but for obvious reasons it works the other way). Make the game more fun. Bat flips are great.

Here’s a great idea I’m stealing. Lower the outfield fences and put ball pits out there so we get some wild diving catches.

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

And according to this story, MLB has tried to get ahead of this by saying they investigated the possibility of "wearable devices" but found nothing to corroborate it.

The players aren't really buying it: 

Archived