MLB Post/Off-season: Houston, We Have a Problem

Myshkin

6 hours ago, Jaime L said:

The players aren't really buying it:

I ain’t buying it either. MLB wants to frame this as an ineffective scheme that lasted a limited amount of time and was voluntary given up. What they don’t want is the narrative to be that the Astros won 311 games, 3 division titles, 2 pennants, and a WS Championship all while cheating their asses off and only stopped when they were caught. MLB thinks they can contain this shit. We’ll see if they’re right.

Always thought Walker was very underrated cuz he got a bad rap based on the Rockies.  People forget he was both pretty damn good for the Expos for awhile before that, and pretty damn good away from Coors.  Congrats to Larry!

Bonds and Clemens inching closer. Hope those two dicks never get into the HoF. But you know what I wanna know about all the writers arguing for roiders to be inducted and voting for Bonds (60.7%) and Clemens (61%)? Why ain’t the voting for Sheffield (30.5%), Manny (28.2%), and Sosa (14.9%)? If not for PEDs these three are clear cut HoFers, so if you’re gonna argue that PED users should be allowed in the HoF then at least have the good grace to apply that philosophy to everyone, not just Bonds and Clemens.

55 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Why ain’t the voting for Sheffield (30.5%), Manny (28.2%), and Sosa (14.9%)? If not for PEDs these three are clear cut HoFers, so if you’re gonna argue that PED users should be allowed in the HoF then at least have the good grace to apply that philosophy to everyone, not just Bonds and Clemens.

Agreed, they should all be in the Hall.  Put in a steroid wing.  McGwire should be in too, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting - Palmeiro comes to mind.

Unfortunately, there’s a good chance Schilling gets in next year. 

I am glad Walker got in, but his career Rockies home/away splits are wilder than I imagined they’d be- .384 at home and .280 away. The same article I was reading also points out his away OPS during the same time was .899, which is better than lots of well known HOFers. 

7 hours ago, DMC said:

Agreed, they should all be in the Hall.  Put in a steroid wing.  McGwire should be in too, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting - Palmeiro comes to mind.

The baseball writers are a bunch of hypocritical pricks.  I remember the summer of Sosa/McGuire.  Everyone knew they were on steroids.  No one could look at them and honestly say they weren't.  Baseball writers and the sports media raved about how the homerun chase saved baseball and brought fans back from the strike a few years earlier.  Then what everyone knew but wouldn't talk about comes out into the open and all of a sudden, they are everything wrong with baseball.

And don't get me started on one dude not voting Jeter into the Hall.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

The baseball writers are a bunch of hypocritical pricks. 

Yep it wasn't only an open secret among/within the league - like the current scandal seems to have been - but it was an open secret for, ya know, anyone with eyes and inferred, "hey, Barry Bonds' head didn't use to be nearly that big."  But then the baseball writers started clutching their pearls after celebrating the sport's return to prominence.  This is a generational thing - it's almost entirely the boomers or older that are keeping all these guys out.  So, we'll see what happens down the line.

As for Jeter, I didn't want to be the first one to bring it up.  As a Yankee fan (and someone named Derek), I've actually never been a huge fan of Jeter.  But the "one vote" thing does grind my gears.  That's usually just such a nakedly attention-grabbing douche thing to do.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

As for Jeter, I didn't want to be the first one to look it up.  As a Yankee fan (and someone named Derek), I've actually never been a huge fan of Jeter.  But the "one vote" thing does grind my gears.  That's usually just such a nakedly attention-grabbing douche thing to do.

<whiny voice>But Lou Gherig wasn't a unanimous selection... </whiny voice>

I'll never understand the one vote thing. You are supposed to be voting on merit, not your petty bullshit. IMO, if 374 vote him in and 1 says no, take away that persons vote, fuck him and his petty shit. If someone is a clear HOF'er and you won't vote for him then you don't deserve a vote.

Is it fair to argue that Jeter is both deserving to be a first ballot HoFer (even unanimous) and that he’s possibly the most overrated superstar baseball player ever?

Like the only all-time great athlete I can think of in my lifetime that was more overrated is Kobe.

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is it fair to argue that Jeter is both deserving to be a first ballot HoFer (even unanimous) and that he’s possibly the most overrated superstar baseball player ever?

Like the only all-time great athlete I can think of in my lifetime that was more overrated is Kobe.

100%. The legend of Jeter always way outpaced his production.

Kobe was overrated too but at least he was a good defender :smoking:

6 hours ago, DMC said:

Yep it wasn't only an open secret among/within the league - like the current scandal seems to have been - but it was an open secret for, ya know, anyone with eyes and inferred, "hey, Barry Bonds' head didn't use to be nearly that big."  But then the baseball writers started clutching their pearls after celebrating the sport's return to prominence.  This is a generational thing - it's almost entirely the boomers or older that are keeping all these guys out.  So, we'll see what happens down the line.

As for Jeter, I didn't want to be the first one to bring it up.  As a Yankee fan (and someone named Derek), I've actually never been a huge fan of Jeter.  But the "one vote" thing does grind my gears.  That's usually just such a nakedly attention-grabbing douche thing to do.

I didn't like him much either honestly. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yes.  Offensively his credentials are great.  But defensively?  Michael Kay routinely saying "past a diving Jeter" is like the original baseball internet meme.  Also, I think the comparison to Kobe is pretty unfair to Kobe.  Bryant was definitely in the top 3-ish players in the league for a very long time, whereas Jeter was never really that valuable, just very consistent.

3 hours ago, Jaime L said:

100%. The legend of Jeter always way outpaced his production.

Kobe was overrated too but at least he was a good defender :smoking:

The NYC media will do that. Jeter is a legit legend off the field though.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Yes.  Offensively his credentials are great.  But defensively?  Michael Kay routinely saying "past a diving Jeter" is like the original baseball internet meme.  Also, I think the comparison to Kobe is pretty unfair to Kobe.  Bryant was definitely in the top 3-ish players in the league for a very long time, whereas Jeter was never really that valuable, just very consistent.

Kobe was a very inefficient scorer, possibly the most inefficient of the greats. And in mind the comparison is valid because a lot of people view Kobe as a top three player when he wasn’t even a top ten player. I’m sure a lot of Yankees fans think he’s one of the greatest players ever when he most certainly is not.

Also, I’ll never understand why they kept him at SS once they got A-Rod. He was a much better defender IIRC.

Archived