MLB Post/Off-season: Houston, We Have a Problem

Myshkin

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

And in mind the comparison is valid because a lot of people view Kobe as a top three player when he wasn’t even a top ten player.

Not clear what you mean here.  Are you saying people view Kobe as a top 3 player all-time?  If so, yeah, that's fucking ridiculous.  But if he was a top-3 player for many years during his tenure?  I think so.  In terms of his "inefficiency," I don't see it.  I mean, he didn't have the greatest of percentages by any means, but none of them are detrimental.  Right about where you'd expect someone to be with so much usage.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, I’ll never understand why they kept him at SS once they got A-Rod. He was a much better defender IIRC.

This would be one of the reasons I dislike Jeter.  Cuz he already had four rings, it's like even ownership didn't want to approach him and say "hey, ARod is a better shortstop than you, do you mind moving to third - the only good fielding tool you have is your arm anyway."  But nope, the greatest player of his generation had to change positions because golden boy won't budge.

50 minutes ago, DMC said:

Not clear what you mean here.  Are you saying people view Kobe as a top 3 player all-time?  If so, yeah, that's fucking ridiculous.  But if he was a top-3 player for many years during his tenure?  I think so. 

Yeah, that's what I meant. The Kobestans are the worst people to have basketball debates with. And year, he certainly had years where he was top three, but I've got a lot of all-timers I'd take before him. I've been going back and forth whether I'd rather have Barkley over Kobe.

In terms of his "inefficiency," I don't see it.  I mean, he didn't have the greatest of percentages by any means, but none of them are detrimental.  Right about where you'd expect someone to be with so much usage.

Not really, per basketball-reference.com, Kobe ranks outside of the top 200 in TS%, and there are a lot of names ahead of him who have no business being higher than him. Now, that obviously doesn't control for bigs verses wings and different eras, but still, not good.

I mean, the guy 1 spot ahead of him is Jeff Teague, and I shouted with joy when I saw we traded him recently.

Also, I'm shocked to learn KAT is sixth all-time. 

This would be one of the reasons I dislike Jeter.  Cuz he already had four rings, it's like even ownership didn't want to approach him and say "hey, ARod is a better shortstop than you, do you mind moving to third - the only good fielding tool you have is your arm anyway."  But nope, the greatest player of his generation had to change positions because golden boy won't budge.

:thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The Kobestans

Is that term actually a thing?  Wonder how his rape victims feel about that.  Anyway, yeah, I'd put him ~ Barkley on an all-time list.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not really, per basketball-reference.com, Kobe ranks outside of the top 200 in TS%, and there are a lot of names ahead of him who have no business being higher than him. Now, that obviously doesn't control for bigs verses wings and different eras, but still, not good.

I mean, the guy 1 spot ahead of him is Jeff Teague, and I shouted with joy when I saw we traded him recently.

Can you link me this?  It doesn't seem to take into account usage based on the Jeff Teague mention.  Kobe - and for a more extreme example Iverson - had a low percentage because that's how probability works.  If you attempt enough shots within a given game, you're going to regress to the mean (either positively or negatively).  Can say this from my own experience as a HS basketball player.  There were times when I wanted to beat a certain rival in a free-throw competition and I'd make 30-40 in a row.  But there were also times I missed 4-5 free throws in a row and even my coach was like WTF?  Just happens over a large sample, which is what usage rate expresses on a per game basis.

I should be clear that my last post was not intended to snark Myshkin at all, but to say that Keuchel is a marginally taller dwarf than the other dwarves, for at least acknowledging the need for an apology, even though his "apology" was half-assed and full of qualifiers.

17 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Dallas Keuchel issues qualified apology for not-that-big-a-deal, and everyone else was doing it anyway, cheating scandal. Is now a hero, I guess.

16 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Relative to the rest of them, kinda, yeah.

Well, he is now in White Sox circles now...but that's White Sox fans for you...

I would have to vote Bonds in on the merit of what he had already accomplished before the steroid era even began. He had HOF accomplishments even if we lop off those years that catapulted him into elite stratosphere.

Then again I would vote for Rose and Shoeless Joe as well, so I'm less bothered by the rule breakers than 90% of fans.

Jeter was a Yankee, I have no empathy for that traitor.

Archived