MLB Post/Off-season: Houston, We Have a Problem

Myshkin

7 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

The Yanks probably have a good shot at signing Cole in the offseason.

I'm thinking the Dodgers are the clear frontrunners, even before their meltdown could lead them to be even more aggressive.  They have plenty of money to spend and he's from LA.  Meanwhile I have a hard time the Steinbrenner hoarders shelling out $25m-plus a year in this day and age, especially with all the housekeeping they have to do between their own FAs and significant arbitrations (Judge and Sanchez's first year, Paxton's last...)

On 10/10/2019 at 8:22 AM, Mexal said:

Super happy for the Nats and @Jaime L. Hope we can get an opportunity to get a Yanks / Nats World Series. That would be my ideal being a fan of both teams.

Thanks man. Still in a bit of shock. The Howie Kendrick blast felt like the second exorcism of this postseason (the Juan Soto 2, turned 3, run single off Hader in the WC game was the first). The 4 previous NLDS appearances (2012, 2014, 2016, 2017) were all gut punches in entirely unique ways.

You just get conditioned to expecting the worst possible thing to happen always at the worst possible moment and felt like that was going to happen again in this one when Will Smith launched one in the bottom of the 9th in a tie game. He and Hudson and everyone in the stadium thought it was gone. This would be an entirely new gut punch for 2019. And then weirdly the ball died at the warning track. Honestly probably would've been a HR earlier in the evening. Suddenly the Nats are getting breaks, something I've never seen before. This, the Brewers' rookie's critical error in the WC game. Finally it's the opposing manager making mistakes, not the Nats' manager. Finally it's the Nats stars coming through with the clutch hits, not the other guys. And for it to be against the hands down best team the Nats have faced in all these postseasons, a fucking loaded juggernaut....every part of it is shocking. Still in disbelief the Nats are still playing.

And now they'll probably get smoked in the NLCS by their original torturer, the Cards, and the weird devil magic they have in lieu of stars. But it feels like the Nats are playing with house money at this point so will have way more capacity to enjoy this series in a way I couldn't the endlessly tense NLDS. 

Good luck yourself against the Astros. This is the rare time I really want the Yankees to smash. Please take care of that scary AF Astros team on the off chance our good fortune continues for another couple weeks. 

ALCS rosters are out, Hicks is officially back.  Kinda crazy after the whole season that the Yanks' position players are, at least technically, basically entirely healthy.  Only guy still injured who might make a 12-man set up is Andujar.  That'd probably be Andujar vs. Maybin, so who knows.  

No Voit, no Wade.  Thought Wade was an easy drop.  Voit...well, he'd be a great pinch hitter against a tough lefty - but the Astros literally have no LH pitchers on their roster.  Can't believe that.

Pretty pitiful offensive effort to support Mikolas and Waino, both of whom did a fine job (though I wish Waino had made just one morw good pitch, alas).

I think we get swept. Hey these playoffs were playing with house money, anyways. Sure hope we pull off some ridiculous Cardinal pixie dust comeback but thems some long odds.

Boy this Astros Yanks series should be a blast.

13 hours ago, Triskele said:

Nats starting pitching is so good that I give them a legit shot against these loaded AL teams.  

If there is any hope for STL it's Flaherty going in game 3, but this offense has been so inept.  

Yeah the thing is the Cards starting pitching has been legit great (maybe Schildt left Wainwright one batter too long but he was mowing our guys down with ease until then) it's just Sanchez/Scherzer were out of this world. It's been a huge luxury not to have to use any of our uniformly terrifying middle relievers. Can't think of a better way to wake up the Cards bats than getting some Fernando Rodney action.

I'm happy we have Stras going but the series is far from over with Flaherty looming. 

Yeah I didn't like that either, and my brother hated it at the time.  Still, it's one wrong decision against mostly right decisions Boone has made thus far in the postseason.  I trust him more than most in terms of in-game management.

Larger issue, as you say, Ottavino has looked like shit all postseason.  Wassupwitdat?

19 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah I didn't like that either, and my brother hated it at the time.  Still, it's one wrong decision against mostly right decisions Boone has made thus far in the postseason.  I trust him more than most in terms of in-game management.

Larger issue, as you say, Ottavino has looked like shit all postseason.  Wassupwitdat?

He's managed pretty well beyond that, but boy was that costly. Pulling Paxton was right, I might have gone straight to Kahnle. Is it the pressure of the postseason? I can't figure anything else.

25 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

And Boone drops their best hitter down to the 5 spot for what reason? Dude is getting too cute with this lineup bs.

So many chances this game. 

To put a LHB in the middle of the line up. A left handed bat is a big need in the offseason. That being said, it didn't matter. The chances were there; they just failed to capitalize on them.

23 minutes ago, Mexal said:

To put a LHB in the middle of the line up. A left handed bat is a big need in the offseason. That being said, it didn't matter. The chances were there; they just failed to capitalize on them.

Meh. I get it, but still think it’s dumb as hell. Torres is clearly locked in so why move him? Bat Gardner 4th then and move Edwin down 1. 

Archived