Sign in to follow this  
Myshkin

MLB Post/Off-season: Houston, We Have a Problem

The more I think about it the more I feel like this whole investigation and announcement were designed to be little more than a show. They shitcan a couple of dudes, hit the ‘Stros with a penalty that will sting but not cripple, and then tell everyone to shut the fuck up about it. Meanwhile they go out of their way to completely exonerate Jim Crane (even orchestrate an opportunity for him to get good press out of it) and find no other wrongdoing besides that which was already public knowledge. They even report that the ‘Stros voluntarily ended their cheating scheme because it was ineffective, thereby signaling to the fans that the outcome of games was probably not affected by the cheating. Bullshit. I’m not buying it.

6 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

The more I think about it the more I feel like this whole investigation and announcement were designed to be little more than a show. They shitcan a couple of dudes, hit the ‘Stros with a penalty that will sting but not cripple, and then tell everyone to shut the fuck up about it. Meanwhile they go out of their way to completely exonerate Jim Crane (even orchestrate an opportunity for him to get good press out of it) and find no other wrongdoing besides that which was already public knowledge. They even report that the ‘Stros voluntarily ended their cheating scheme because it was ineffective, thereby signaling to the fans that the outcome of games was probably not affected by the cheating. Bullshit. I’m not buying it.

Well for that to be true the Commissioner would have to be a stooge and a flunkie for owners.

:dunno:

Just now, DanteGabriel said:

Well for that to be true the Commissioner would have to be a stooge and a flunkie for owners.

:dunno:

An outrageous accusation, I know. But here’s the thing, I’m starting to believe it might be true.

Can we take a moment to reflect on the fact that, at the moment, the fallout from this is that two dominant Champions have gone down in the scandal...and the Mets too.  

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

Can we take a moment to reflect on the fact that, at the moment, the fallout from this is that two dominant Champions have gone down in the scandal...and the Mets too.  

I feel like all scandals, in all spheres of life, should end with “...and the Mets too”.

And now people will be digging at every players stats from those series to see if it "looks" like they were cheating. Local radio guy is a Yankees fan and he was going off yesterday. I'm not going to put the accused players name in here but I want to say that in the WS his home OPS(?) was like 1.517 and his road was .497? Whether he cheated or not, stats like that will get a second look now.

14 hours ago, Myshkin said:

The reason it was done that way is because they needed to be able to fire them with cause while protecting the owner. Otherwise he’d have to be removed too.

It's not actually Beltran's niece but some folks (including maybe Gary Sheffield's kid?) think it's an active player's burner account.

And according to this story, MLB has tried to get ahead of this by saying they investigated the possibility of "wearable devices" but found nothing to corroborate it.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2020/01/mlb-rumors-carlos-beltrans-niece-says-astros-jose-altuve-alex-bregman-wore-devices-that-buzzed-as-part-of-sign-stealing-scandal.html

Keep burning.

I'm not a huge baseball fan and part of that is how archaic it is.  The game needs to evolve.  I've gotten tired of hearing all the stories of players upset that this came out and that teams don't want Fiers in their clubhouse.  Astros have put MLB in a horrible spot here, but the culture surrounding baseball is ridiculous.  The idea that you deserve to be plunked with a fastball for watching your HR to long but should look away while blatant cheating goes on is backwards.

Edited by Rhom

38 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I'm not a huge baseball fan and part of that is how archaic it is.  The game needs to evolve.  I've gotten tired of hearing all the stories of players upset that this came out and that teams don't want Fiers in their clubhouse.  Astros have put MLB in a horrible spot here, but the culture surrounding baseball is ridiculous.  The idea that you deserve to be plunked with a fastball for watching your HR to long but should look away while blatant cheating goes on is backwards.

Preach brother. I’d rather go to South Korea and attend a game there than go to a MLB game (but for obvious reasons it works the other way). Make the game more fun. Bat flips are great.

Here’s a great idea I’m stealing. Lower the outfield fences and put ball pits out there so we get some wild diving catches.

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

And according to this story, MLB has tried to get ahead of this by saying they investigated the possibility of "wearable devices" but found nothing to corroborate it.

The players aren't really buying it: 

Sorry if this was posted already - have not been around for a while on the board - but I feel bad for Beltran.  They are not going to name any players, but they mention Beltran and now he is screwed yet Altuve is fine.  That's BS.

6 hours ago, Jaime L said:

The players aren't really buying it:

I ain’t buying it either. MLB wants to frame this as an ineffective scheme that lasted a limited amount of time and was voluntary given up. What they don’t want is the narrative to be that the Astros won 311 games, 3 division titles, 2 pennants, and a WS Championship all while cheating their asses off and only stopped when they were caught. MLB thinks they can contain this shit. We’ll see if they’re right.

Always thought Walker was very underrated cuz he got a bad rap based on the Rockies.  People forget he was both pretty damn good for the Expos for awhile before that, and pretty damn good away from Coors.  Congrats to Larry!

Bonds and Clemens inching closer. Hope those two dicks never get into the HoF. But you know what I wanna know about all the writers arguing for roiders to be inducted and voting for Bonds (60.7%) and Clemens (61%)? Why ain’t the voting for Sheffield (30.5%), Manny (28.2%), and Sosa (14.9%)? If not for PEDs these three are clear cut HoFers, so if you’re gonna argue that PED users should be allowed in the HoF then at least have the good grace to apply that philosophy to everyone, not just Bonds and Clemens.

55 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Why ain’t the voting for Sheffield (30.5%), Manny (28.2%), and Sosa (14.9%)? If not for PEDs these three are clear cut HoFers, so if you’re gonna argue that PED users should be allowed in the HoF then at least have the good grace to apply that philosophy to everyone, not just Bonds and Clemens.

Agreed, they should all be in the Hall.  Put in a steroid wing.  McGwire should be in too, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting - Palmeiro comes to mind.

Unfortunately, there’s a good chance Schilling gets in next year. 

I am glad Walker got in, but his career Rockies home/away splits are wilder than I imagined they’d be- .384 at home and .280 away. The same article I was reading also points out his away OPS during the same time was .899, which is better than lots of well known HOFers. 

Schilling can go eat a bag of dicks, but he deserves to be in the Hall.

7 hours ago, DMC said:

Agreed, they should all be in the Hall.  Put in a steroid wing.  McGwire should be in too, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting - Palmeiro comes to mind.

The baseball writers are a bunch of hypocritical pricks.  I remember the summer of Sosa/McGuire.  Everyone knew they were on steroids.  No one could look at them and honestly say they weren't.  Baseball writers and the sports media raved about how the homerun chase saved baseball and brought fans back from the strike a few years earlier.  Then what everyone knew but wouldn't talk about comes out into the open and all of a sudden, they are everything wrong with baseball.

And don't get me started on one dude not voting Jeter into the Hall.