MLB Post/Off-season: Houston, We Have a Problem

Myshkin

4 hours ago, DMC said:

What the hell series were you watching?  The Yankees beat them by 6, 6, and 4.  It's not "a few bounces away" when you're outscored 23-7 in 3 games, that's about as comprehensive domination as you can ask for.  

I did not see game 2, but from what I did see it looked like two really effective hitting teams battling, however, one drove in 80% of their potential runs while the other only drove in 33%. We left so many guys on. Like I said, a few bounces go different here and there and the Twins could well still be in it.

Uh, we bested you in runs, which last time I checked is what matters on offense.  We also didn't get to play three division rivals with a combined winning percentage of .366.  And to point out the obvious, the lineup the Yanks were able to field during the series hardly resembled their lineups for most of the season.

Oh come on schlomo. You bested us by four runs (and don't you dare cite we only got you by one HR :P). It's not like you didn't get to feast on the Orioles, that happens for almost every division winner. Also, our line up got worse recently, not better.

As for the pitching, sure, I don't trust the starting pitching, but they performed while yours did not in the series (ok, Odorizzi did well last night).  And while your bullpen was great in the regular season, the Yanks exposed that as a paper tiger to the tune of 14 ER in 14 innings - compared to 3 ER in 13.2 innings for the Yanks' bullpen.

Great? They were our weak spot. The hot start didn't last, and most of the damage done against us felt like it came in the last three innings once our starts were out for the last two months.

6 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

I'd rather have the Rays coming to Houston to face full-metal Justin than let them off the hook on half-arse-Upton-spouse on short rest.

Well, looks like you were right in hindsight.  And I couldn't be happier.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I did not see game 2, but from what I did see it looked like two really effective hitting teams battling, however, one drove in 80% of their potential runs while the other only drove in 33%. We left so many guys on. Like I said, a few bounces go different here and there and the Twins could well still be in it.

This is just a really stupid statement man.  Yeah.  One team executed at a high percentage.  The other failed to do so, resulting in a very low percentage.  That's not only how teams win, but the disparity between the two directly demonstrates how much better one team is than the other.  And the disparity between the two necessarily means it wasn't just "a few bounces."  That is horseshit.  Empirically and manifestly wrong.  The Yankees dominated the Twins.  Get over it.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's not like you didn't get to feast on the Orioles, that happens for almost every division winner. Also, our line up got worse recently, not better.

Aye, we got to feast on the Orioles.  You got to feast on, like, three Orioles.  That was the point.

Great? They were our weak spot. The hot start didn't last, and most of the damage done against us felt like it came in the last three innings once our starts were out for the last two months.

.....k?  So you agree the Twins' bullpen is significantly worse than the Yanks'?  Cuz if so, yeah, that has a lot to do with the postseason and the quality of the "pitching."  Starters only go so far these days.  Yes, the Astros have two world beaters.  But one of them just shat the bed, so even that's not too reliable.

I got no dog in this fight, but I gotta say that when you play in a division with the Jays and the O’s you don’t really get to talk shit about anyone else’s weak schedule.

27 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

I got no dog in this fight, but I gotta say that when you play in a division with the Jays and the O’s you don’t really get to talk shit about anyone else’s weak schedule.

The worst three teams in the AL East:  205/486 = .422.  The worst three teams in the AL Central:  178/486 = .366.  And that's not correcting for the fact those three teams get to play each other more than any other team does.  I think that difference warrants the ability to talk shit.  Especially when responding from someone who likes to talk shit a lot himself.  Not to mention the second best team in the Yanks division - Tampa - has now taken the Astros (whom we all agree are the prohibitive favorites) to game 5, whereas the second best team in the AL Central is sitting at home.  Maybe you're just mad that the Dodgers can't finish the Nats off or something.

9 hours ago, DMC said:

The worst three teams in the AL East:  205/486 = .422.  The worst three teams in the AL Central:  178/486 = .366.  And that's not correcting for the fact those three teams get to play each other more than any other team does.  I think that difference warrants the ability to talk shit.  Especially when responding from someone who likes to talk shit a lot himself.  Not to mention the second best team in the Yanks division - Tampa - has now taken the Astros (whom we all agree are the prohibitive favorites) to game 5, whereas the second best team in the AL Central is sitting at home.  Maybe you're just mad that the Dodgers can't finish the Nats off or something.

What? Did you not get that was in jest? I really don’t care about outcomes in sports outside of Nadal and Serena making deep Slam runs, and soon that will be gone too.

Curses. I have a weekly 4 to 7 night class in the field I'm trying to change careers to. Ive already missed one and promised the teacher there wouldn't miss another - he has a lot of connections in the local IT field and is a more likely source of solid employment right after semester than any website or bland resume is going to be. He knows I'm the biggest Cards geek in the room already. 

Hopefully we can reach an understanding that I will have it playing mute on my phone, and I will strenuously attempt to not disturb the class with my usual vocal watching habits.

I’m curious, who are more scared, Dodgers or Astros fans?

Has to be Dodgers fans. Strasburg already pitched a gem against them. But I see both home teams prevailing. 

Cardinals are actually favored in Atlanta for their game 5, a game 2 rematch of Folty-Flaherty. 

Officially rooting for the Dodgers all through the postseason. I'd also not mind if the Yankees won, because it's been a while and you guys have waited patiently and really deserve a break.

Hahaha, of course not, fuck the Yankees into the earth's molten core.

Wow, Nats tied it up. Kershaw continues to let down the Doyers in the post-season.

Not sure who I'd rather the Cardinals face. We smashed both teams back in April, then the Dodgers swept us in August and we beat the Nats again in September. I agree with my ape-ish friend that the Dodgers would be more exciting, but they definitely have more potential to crush us mercilessly.

All in all, I hope tonight's game goes 24 innings.

I read that Kershaw has now allowed 24 homers in 84 post-season innings. One of the all-time best regular season pitchers who simply cannot keep it together under the brightest lights. I legitimately felt a pang of nausea when they cut to him in the dugout looking despondent. 

Why in the fucking hell didn't they bring out Jansen? Kelly was absolute nails in the 9th, then looked like a different pitcher the next inning. 

Do we have Nationals fans on the board? I was looking forward to banter with the Dodgers fellas. Fuck, I still hope you guys come back in the bottom, because I like that kind of shit.

Archived