MLB Post/Off-season: Houston, We Have a Problem

Myshkin

37 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I feel seriously terrible for Kershaw.  That whole rep that we all know about just got so much worse.  Maybe more painful than any bad start in the playoffs (of which he's had many).

Me too. His reaction to the Soto bomb was tough to watch. 

Sorry, Doyer fans.

Wow, can't believe the Nats pulled it off.  I got nothing against the Cards, but I'll be rooting for them the rest of the way unless they play the Yanks.  Always felt bad about the Expos getting screwed out of their one chance during the 94 strike, plus I lived in DC when the Nats played in RFK - a fate which should not be wished upon anybody.

16 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

What? Did you not get that was in jest?

Sure, I didn't mean that in a disparaging way - this whole forum should be taken in jest in my book.  I was saying I enjoy talking shit and so do you, is all.

I really think the Cards are in a good position v. the Nats. Both teams have had some pixie dust helping their late pushes. Agreed that we might get thoroughly spanked if we get to the Series.

Though as I been sayin' since our weird August streak, thus bizarre-as-hell team has vibes of 06, when we lost 8 times in a row three separate times in the regular season, won 83 damn games, and rode hot hands and opposing teams inexplicably playing down to us. 

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 12:55 AM, DMC said:

It's weird how you interpret more resolved and confident as more defensive.  I love these Yankees, and am pumped.  Wouldn't expect anything less from you.

I love this group more than any my entire life. They amount of shit they've had to deal with to get this far is insane, this is going to make one awesome 30 for 30 or Sports Illustrated documentary if they take this to the logical conclusion.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:41 AM, Ramsay B. said:

Go Rays!!

Part of me wants the Rays just so we have the home field but it would be some shit if they got hot in the same way they were to start the season now. And the Astros are still the Astros.

6 hours ago, DMC said:

Cole's pitching tonight, although I suppose Greinke will be available in relief.

Oops, I ruined that comment , but yeah I wouldn't bet against Cole. I was reading in SI that after June 1, Cole had a 1.73 ERA and 214 SO's in 140 innings. So you've won against Verlander, this is who you get to face next, good luck hitting this guy.

Thinking about Clayton tears me up. This article puts some of it into words. Dave Roberts, I think, damaged him beyond repair last night and it breaks my heart. Clayton is Clayton, and Roberts made bad decision after bad decision. I'll never forgive it.

https://deadspin.com/clayton-kershaw-will-never-get-over-it-1838934854

Surely that one is squarely on Roberts. Kershaw was on a hiding to nowhere pitching in that situation against those bats. 

I'd love to see Tampa make it past Houston tonight, but in a way it would be better to see the Stros get through. Will make for a more interesting ALCS. 

I liked Boone's comment when reporters asked him if he think it was an advantage that the Stros/Rays went five.  He had a "be careful what you wish for" response, which I tend to agree with.  I definitely was rooting for the Rays to take it to 5, because that means whomever wins their staff will be less rested.  But as for rooting for a certain team tonight, I'm pretty ambivalent.  If the Rays are able to defeat Verlander and Cole in back-to-back games, I'm not sure I wanna play them over the Stros.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

If the Rays are able to defeat Verlander and Cole in back-to-back games, I'm not sure I wanna play them over the Stros.

Yeah, the only "good news" to me would be that if it's the Rays, they Yankees get home field.

I'd think, personally, that Yankees getting home field is slightly worth playing a hot Rays team, vs. playing the Astros with 4 games in Houston.

But I don't think there is any way to know that either way, there is just too much contingency in it all.

5 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Oops, I ruined that comment , but yeah I wouldn't bet against Cole. I was reading in SI that after June 1, Cole had a 1.73 ERA and 214 SO's in 140 innings. So you've won against Verlander, this is who you get to face next, good luck hitting this guy.

If only he was as good as Jack Flaherty...

Nothing like watching two young starting pitchers in a Game 5 that were both traded from your cheap ass hometown team in a two season span, both in lopsided fashion of course. But hey, we fired Clint Hurdle! Go 'Stros!

2 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Nothing like watching two young starting pitchers in a Game 5 that were both traded from your cheap ass hometown team in a two season span, both in lopsided fashion of course. But hey, we fired Clint Hurdle! Go 'Stros!

Maybe you shoulda sent Cole to the Yanks, who were offering at least just as good of a deal.  Burnett, Cervelli, we always treated you right!

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Maybe you shoulda sent Cole to the Yanks, who were offering at least just as good of a deal.  Burnett, Cervelli, we always treated you right!

The Pirates recent interactions with NY have gone well, I'll throw in signing Russell Martin as a FA from the Yanks as a win also. The Yanks probably have a good shot at signing Cole in the offseason. That dude is going to get paid, which never would've happened here. The biggest contract they've given out was a 6 yr, $60 million deal...in 2000. To Jason Kendall.

Archived