MLB Post/Off-season: Houston, We Have a Problem

Myshkin

Woulda been nice if the Yanks went seven, but they woulda been seriously screwed unless Sevy somehow went 7-8 innings.  Oh well, hopefully this can help Cashman convince Hal to spend some..Cash man.

A lot of decisions to be made this offseason. Andujar, Didi, Betances, Chapman maybe opting out. Edwin, CC and Gardner gone. Scumbag Germán. I’d love to get Cole but I assume he’s going back to Cali. I’d “settle” for Strasburg.

This fucking Stanton contract is gonna haunt us for years.

3 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I don’t agree, I hope he stays. He’s still got some left in the tank, and it’s not that easy to find a solid closer. Only 2 more seasons anyways. 

I don't deny he's one of the best closers in the league, but I think they can construct a pen just as effective for cheaper and commit the proceeds elsewhere (i.e. a starter).  Britton was just as good as Chap this year, and obviously has experience in the role.  Looks like he's all the way back, plus as a sinker baller he should age better whereas any more drop-off in velocity from Chapman becomes worrisome.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 4:56 AM, Ramsay B. said:

A lot of decisions to be made this offseason. Andujar, Didi, Betances, Chapman maybe opting out. Edwin, CC and Gardner gone. Scumbag Germán. I’d love to get Cole but I assume he’s going back to Cali. I’d “settle” for Strasburg.

Bumgarner and Ryu are out there too. I also expect them to look into Wheeler. It wouldn't shock me if Andujar gets converted to first base. Betances I see them keeping, with his injury they can get him cheap.

On 10/20/2019 at 4:56 AM, Ramsay B. said:

Having Torres who can play short is gonna hurt Didi’s leverage. He’s been a good yankee but I don’t think resigning him is a must. They need to add some left handed bats for sure. But their main goal is to add a true ace. Cashman hasn’t brought in a true ace since signing Sabathia.

This series will kill me before it's over, I'm sure. Every AB the Astros have ages me.  

I can't believe the Nats got 5 runs off Cole. I figured it was over when Scherzer gave up 2 runs in the first. Soto's clearly doesn't know how ridiculous Cole is. He struck out on 3 pitches in his first AB, apparently used it as a learning session, and spent the rest of the night just wrecking the future AL Cy Young winner. I don't know what else to say about the guy. Absolute prodigy.

The issue is the Astros worked at bats against Scherzer so well it took him 112 pitches to get through 5. And then the Nats had to use another ace, Corbin just as a bridge to get to their only 2 reliable relievers, Hudson and Doolittle. Nats pulled out every good pitcher they could throw at the Astros and barely pulled it out. Need a dominant 7 from Strasburg tomorrow to have a real shot in game 2. 

6 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Go Nats, especially with the scandal kicked up by the Astros' douchebro neckbeard assistant GM, who looks like he grew up idolizing Donald Trump Jr.

I mean you can root for the team that hates woman or the one that supports youth literacy. Who you gonna choose?! 

6 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Go Nats, especially with the scandal kicked up by the Astros' douchebro neckbeard assistant GM, who looks like he grew up idolizing Donald Trump Jr.

The Astros response made it infinitely worse than it already was. Calling them liars followed by a half-baked non-apology style apology makes them look so good as an organization.

33 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

The Astros response made it infinitely worse than it already was. Calling them liars followed by a half-baked non-apology style apology makes them look so good as an organization.

Yeah, that was the biggest problem I had. Clearly Taubman is a douchebag, but the boldfaced lying by the Astros makes it an institutional fuckup and something MLB should come down hard on. The BBWAA is justifiably pissed and demanding apologies and acknowledgement of how badly the Astros screwed up their gaslight response. We should also remember the Astros had a problem this year when they tried to keep a Detroit reporter out of press availabilities because Verlander's feefees were hurt.

I hope it distracts the shit out of the team and all their players get hounded with questions about it.

28 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Yeah, that was the biggest problem I had. Clearly Taubman is a douchebag, but the boldfaced lying by the Astros makes it an institutional fuckup and something MLB should come down hard on. The BBWAA is justifiably pissed and demanding apologies and acknowledgement of how badly the Astros screwed up their gaslight response. We should also remember the Astros had a problem this year when they tried to keep a Detroit reporter out of press availabilities because Verlander's feefees were hurt.

I hope it distracts the shit out of the team and all their players get hounded with questions about it.

Then there's this bit of reporting:

On Saturday night, not long after the victory, Astros Assistant General Manager Brandon Taubman targeted a small cluster of female reporters with a profane defense of reliever Roberto Osuna.

According to three eyewitnesses interviewed by NPR, Taubman appeared to be responding to the presence of a female reporter who was wearing a purple rubber bracelet to heighten awareness about domestic violence.

That reporter has tweeted repeatedly about the issue over the years. Taubman complained last year that some of the reporter's informational tweets — promoting domestic violence hotline telephone numbers, for example — appeared moments after Osuna entered several Astros games in relief.

That's no coincidence: Osuna's contract was acquired by the Astros from the Toronto Blue Jays. While with the Blue Jays, he was arrested and accused in Canada of assaulting the mother of his then-3-year-old child. Osuna did not face charges after agreeing to the equivalent of a restraining order.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/22/772368868/astros-executives-rant-at-reporters-draws-firestorm-on-eve-of-series

He knew exactly who he was saying that to.

4 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Oh yeah Justin Verlander got bent out of shape because a beat writer tweeted that he saw the eclipse in totality. I thought he was a dick but that made me really dislike him. I think this is distracting them. 

Archived