MLB Post/Off-season: Houston, We Have a Problem

Myshkin

Verlander just has a terrible time getting W's in the WS. Strange the careers Kershaw and Justin have had so many dominant seasons and then struggled in October, although Verlander has had some success in earlier rounds of the playoffs he's now 0-6 in WS I believe. 

I'm wondering if he should have had his innings curtailed a bit more in the early fall or even late summer to make sure he had max strength for post season? Him and Cole were both rode pretty heavy all season.

Anyways we got a game 7, may the best team win this thing!!

4 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I'm wondering if he should have had his innings curtailed a bit more in the early fall or even late summer to make sure he had max strength for post season? Him and Cole were both rode pretty heavy all season.

I know he's older now and pitched 223 innings in this season, but Verlander's velocity has been fine. His World Series ERA is a terrible 5.68 albeit over a sample size of only six games, and in at least a couple of those games he's pitched well enough to ordinarily have gotten a win.

I think it's more likely that Verlander's typical weaknesses (scoring in the early innings, and a tendency to give up the long ball, especially in his last few seasons) are amplified in the postseason, where runs are generally more scarce due to the overall quality of pitching. So Verlander ends up looking worse in the postseason by comparison to the regular season standard. His cumulative postseason ERA of 3.40 is actually not terrible and quite close to his career ERA of 3.30. To my mind he's been pitching more or less fine and has just not had the luck to pick up the W.

3 hours ago, Jeor said:

His cumulative postseason ERA of 3.40 is actually not terrible and quite close to his career ERA of 3.30. To my mind he's been pitching more or less fine and has just not had the luck to pick up the W.

Yep, he has.  The way the public reacts to tiny samples with playoff numbers will always be silly.  What's particularly hilarious, though, is that the media still does it to - whereas the vast majority have shifted to be large proponents of analytics, they still can't grasp sample size during the playoffs.  David Price was horrible in the playoffs, until he wasn't.  Same with A-Rod.  It's really stupid.

3 hours ago, The Last Storm said:

Soto could be youngest WS MVP ever unless I’m mistaken with a big game 7. Dude is a prodigy.

That HR last night was one of the best blasts I've seen. I'd have enjoyed that even if it was a consolation run in a regular season defeat. 

Not a bad pitching match-up for Washington tonight assuming Scherzer is actually match-fit.

23 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Not a bad pitching match-up for Washington tonight assuming Scherzer is actually match-fit.

Particularly when we can certainly expect to see Cole and Corbin coming out of the bullpen.  Even a celebrity appearance from Strasburg and Verlander is possible. 

Baseball is always better for a seven game Series.  Two absolutely solid teams.  But after all of the FO issues revealed about the Astros recently, it's easier to root for the Nats tonight. 

(Is Soto's shin guard he wears whole batting supposed to be a piece of Iron Man armor...?)

Scherzer doesn't look like he'll go long tonight, and Greinke is having no trouble.

A lot of sharp line drives off Scherzer and some loud fly-ball outs, it's a bit of a miracle it's still only 1-0 and he's been able to escape the last couple of innings with minimal damage. I expect Scherzer will be hooked soon.

Weird game so far. Ump has refused to call about 8 pitches just at or below the strike zone. Grienke was masterful, gave up all of one pitch in the wrong place, and Rendon got a pretty lucky dinger out of it. He was absolutely dominant otherwise. My pals n I watching were all thinking it was wrong to take him out, and patting ourselves on each others backs for being such baseball geniuses after that Kendrick homer.

I hope both teams score at least once more, just for some wild drama.

Weird game so far. Ump has refused to call about 8 pitches just at or below the strike zone. Grienke was masterful, gave up all of one pitch in the wrong place, and Rendon got a pretty lucky dinger out of it. He was absolutely dominant otherwise. My pals n I watching were all thinking it was wrong to take him out, and patting ourselves on each others backs for being such baseball geniuses after that Kendrick homer.

I hope both teams score at least once more, just for some wild drama.

Yeah, hooking Greinke is going to be second-guessed for a while now, if they end up losing. His pitch count was very low, and he had mowed down the Nationals hitters all night. To take him out after only one hard-hit ball (Rendon homer) and a walk was probably a bit premature.

Archived