MLB Post/Off-season: Houston, We Have a Problem

Myshkin

Thursdays are my only night off work or night classes, so Game 1 is probably my only game I'll be able to watch at home for awhile. Weird ass game, as befitting of the Cards entire season. We suffered two nearly identical double plays down the 3rd base line after putting a guy on second early. Then we blow it open with two shots right up either foul line. 

Took 163 games to put up a 3-error game. Our closer *yet again* walks a guy to start the 9th and then pays for it. Does baseball-reference have a sortable tab for most leadoff walks allowed in the 9th? Boy do I feel we set records there this season.

I thought tonight would be a loss, amd felt justified after Mikolas' dreadful first, where he sure looked like he dodged a huge inning. Hell we had Hudson warming up after Mikolas 20th pitch or so. The Braves look better on paper in just about every aspect, and it'll only get harder against the Dodgers then whatever AL juggernaut wins. But this feels like that bizarro 2006 team, so I'm fully ready for 3 ugly losses, or 10 more wins.

I offered 50 bucks for the other bartender to work Sunday's garbage shift so I couls get SRO tickets, but she is already going. Damnit. I finally move back to my home city and I won't be able to attend a playoff game for the first time in my adult life. First World problems.

9 hours ago, DMC said:

Hey @Tywin et al., how's your butt?

Sincerely,

Concerned

Eh, the results not shocking. These teams are basically the same except you have a bullpen you at least somewhat trust. We’re still two years away anyways as we have two top ten prospects that need to come up as well as several more in the top 100.

Good luck going forward.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

These teams are basically the same except you have a bullpen you at least somewhat trust.

Uh, no, it was just demonstrated the Twins are still a poor imitation.  The Yanks offense is considerably more dangerous and well-rounded, their starters are much more reliable - especially once you take into account Tanaka is an entirely different pitcher in the playoffs - and the bullpen is much, much better.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Uh, no, it was just demonstrated the Twins are still a poor imitation.  The Yanks offense is considerably more dangerous and well-rounded, their starters are much more reliable - especially once you take into account Tanaka is an entirely different pitcher in the playoffs - and the bullpen is much, much better.

? It’s baseball dude, a few bounces go the other way and the Twins are up 2-1. Also, we bested you in RBIs, HRs, Batting Average and ERA, so don’t act like our offense is appreciably worse or that you trust your pitching. The Yanks are the other team I follow and they were unreliable all year (it just didn’t matter because both teams mash).

It doesn’t matter though, the Astros are still the team to beat. Their offense is on par with ours and they have elite pitching.

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

? It’s baseball dude, a few bounces go the other way and the Twins are up 2-1.

What the hell series were you watching?  The Yankees beat them by 6, 6, and 4.  It's not "a few bounces away" when you're outscored 23-7 in 3 games, that's about as comprehensive domination as you can ask for.  

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, we bested you in RBIs, HRs, Batting Average and ERA, so don’t act like our offense is appreciably worse or that you trust your pitching.

Uh, we bested you in runs, which last time I checked is what matters on offense.  We also didn't get to play three division rivals with a combined winning percentage of .366.  And to point out the obvious, the lineup the Yanks were able to field during the series hardly resembled their lineups for most of the season.

As for the pitching, sure, I don't trust the starting pitching, but they performed while yours did not in the series (ok, Odorizzi did well last night).  And while your bullpen was great in the regular season, the Yanks exposed that as a paper tiger to the tune of 14 ER in 14 innings - compared to 3 ER in 13.2 innings for the Yanks' bullpen.

I don't see this incarnation of the Yankees really having good short series SP.  Certainly not to compare with the Astros.  But as pointed out elsewhere, the bats are getting healthy.

I think the ALCS will end up being great - and I'm afraid Houston will blow it with bad managerial decisions.

WTF is up with pitching Keuchel then Verlander on short rest in a short series in which you are leading?  Let the panicking team rush their pitchers.

32 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

WTF is up with pitching Keuchel then Verlander on short rest in a short series in which you are leading?  Let the panicking team rush their pitchers.

Well, I'm not really following the Braves series much, but in terms of Verlander I think it's prudent to have him put the series away rather than risking a Game 5.  If he takes care of business they'll still have three days off - which is why I'm very much rooting for the Rays tonight!

45 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, I'm not really following the Braves series much, but in terms of Verlander I think it's prudent to have him put the series away rather than risking a Game 5.  If he takes care of business they'll still have three days off - which is why I'm very much rooting for the Rays tonight!

That's crazy.  He's going to have a better chance of being himself on normal rest.  I'd rather have the Rays coming to Houston to face full-metal Justin than let them off the hook on half-arse-Upton-spouse on short rest.

Archived