US Politics - I'm not orange I'mpeach

Which Tyler

56 minutes ago, Trebla said:

So the U.S. ambassador to European Union, Gordon Sondland, was scheduled to appear before the House this morning regarding the Ukraine investigation but was then ordered by the Trump administration not to appear. My gosh, who could have given that order???

Because these days a tweet is just as good as going under oath before Congress. I'm seriously thinking that we are not too far away from him saying we should dissolve the House of Representatives until the 2020 election. 

NO COLLUSION! NO JACESTRUCTION!

32 minutes ago, sologdin said:

one descends too far into the fascistic weeds when hoping for the death of political opponents. the argument must be addressed to policy, not to persons--proceeding ad hominem is a dead end, producing at best fruitless victories, which should be plain when live fascists fill the offices of dead fascists.

Er….what was all that business about lamp posts again?  

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

They won’t do anything significant before the election. That would be suicide, and these justices are every bit as political as the senators that vet them. That’s why I’d be surprised if anything happens in 2020.

Overturning Roe post-2020 will likely leave open the separate constitutional question as to whether Congress can pass a law legalizing abortion.  If we have a D President and Congress such a law may have a good chance of enactment if the filibuster is abolished (I know, I know, a lot of assumptions there).  And then the Court will have to squarely confront the federalism issue. 

all that business about lamp posts again? 

touche!  just a hobby of mine, however.

separate constitutional question as to whether Congress can pass a law legalizing abortion

am waiting for someone to bring a constitutional claim against a state that has not prohibited termination of pregnancy, arguing that the right to life extends to the moment of conception and therefore handmaid's tale.

18 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Overturning Roe post-2020 will likely leave open the separate constitutional question as to whether Congress can pass a law legalizing abortion.  If we have a D President and Congress such a law may have a good chance of enactment if the filibuster is abolished (I know, I know, a lot of assumptions there).  And then the Court will have to squarely confront the federalism issue. 

Roe won’t get overturned, it’s just going to become so toothless that it’s just law in name only, but that won’t happen before the election because that would be suicide, and you have to remember that this is a redistricting election and likely Republicans last chance to shape American politics for the foreseeable future.

55 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

They won’t do anything significant before the election. That would be suicide, and these justices are every bit as political as the senators that vet them. That’s why I’d be surprised if anything happens in 2020.

Well, my point was SCOTUS doesn't really have to do much at all.  But while they won't overturn Roe this session - conservative justices can look at polls too - they will overturn the 2016 Texas decision I was referring to:

The Supreme Court agreed on Friday to hear June Medical Services v. Gee, a challenge to Louisiana’s stringent abortion restrictions. There is very little doubt that the conservative majority will use this case to overrule 2016’s Whole Woman’s Health v. Hellerstedt, allowing states to regulate abortion clinics out of existence. In the process, the Republican-appointed justices will set the stage for the formal reversal of Roe v. Wade. The court’s decision to hear June Medical Services came with the alarming announcement that it will also consider whether to strip doctors of their ability to contest abortion laws in court. These aggressive moves augur an impending demise of the constitutional right to abortion access.

57 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

It is also unlikely that the House will get a truthful answer to this question, because of the tendency of Trump appointees to shade the truth/lie to protect the President and executive stonewalling.

We'll see.  It'd be nice to see the more detailed transcripts they put on that super-secret server, not to mention sworn testimony from those who were in on such calls.

9 hours ago, DMC said:

The way they're going to effectively ban it in red states is by eliminating access.  All they need really is for SCOTUS to do nothing about these gambits.  I think this will happen relatively quickly, and it will be virtually impossible to get an abortion in most of the south and the plains states.

And we women will go back to the old fashioned way, the way we did it for tens of thousands of years. And men will never know we were pregnant in the first place. 

What are they going to do, exterminate pennyroyal and chamomile? I'd love to see them try. 

Do these ineffectual subpoenas that the Democrats keep writing have an expiration date?  Is it possible that a future Justice department could issue fines or jail time to people for ignoring them? 

19 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, my point was SCOTUS doesn't really have to do much at all.  But while they won't overturn Roe this session - conservative justices can look at polls too - they will overturn the 2016 Texas decision I was referring to:

I think we can bet Kavanaugh will reverse Kennedy’s vote. The question is what will Roberts do? Either he respect precedent or hands over the Presidency and the Senate to Democrats, as well as several state legislatures. Young people will turn out over this.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It seems some are still determined to live in la lah landia.

The Theys aligned with the bedbug's WH are doing significant things ALL THE TIME and have been even before the election and inauguration.  All of them.  Some have even been convicted and imprisoned for their significant actions, such as Manafort.

In the meantime there is no meaningful access in many states right now for not only abortions, but any kind of reproductive, prenatal and postnatal care for pregnant women.

It might be catching up at last now, I dunno, but latest polls say 58% are in favor of impeachment, or of impeachment inquiries, or of both, whilst only 38% are against any of these.

50 minutes ago, Ice Queen said:

And we women will go back to the old fashioned way, the way we did it for tens of thousands of years. And men will never know we were pregnant in the first place. 

What are they going to do, exterminate pennyroyal and chamomile? I'd love to see them try. 

They've sown chamomile broadcast everywhere including road side stops and parks throughout the southern Atlantic states.  It smells lovely in the evening and in the heat of day when one gets out of the car.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think we can bet Kavanaugh will reverse Kennedy’s vote. The question is what will Roberts do? Either he respect precedent or hands over the Presidency and the Senate to Democrats, as well as several state legislatures. Young people will turn out over this.

I think you're vastly overestimating the political salience of the court overturning Whole Women's Health v. Hellerstedt.  The right can legitimately argue it is not technically overturning Roe, and no I don't expect Roberts to respect the precedent when he was opposed to it three years ago.

3 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

Isn't it Pat Robertson that has super human strength in his legs?  Due to some secret smoothie recipe or some such thing?  A man with access to a drink like this would be far more resilient than your average old man.

If I remember correctly the posted photo of Robertson lifting 2000 lbs on a leg press is a ludicrous lie. I work out on the same machine at my gym and one cannot put 2000 lbs on the machine as the bars are not long enough or strong enough. I am pretty sure it was set up for 200 lbs and the dickhead intentionally slipped a decimal point. 

"Trump campaign threatens to sue Minneapolis over "phony" security bill for rally

$530K bill from Mpls. to campaign may spur suit. "

http://www.startribune.com/minneapolis-city-officials-brace-for-extra-costs-of-trump-rally/562446812/

Gee whiz, why would anybody want expenses involved with bedbug paid for up front before moving ahead with permissions, licenses, etc.?

Well, as the final paragraphs of the above story tell us:

Trump's visit to Duluth last year cost the city more than $69,000. City staff did not send the Trump campaign an invoice because they did not want to expend more staff time requesting a reimbursement they knew they would not receive, Duluth spokeswoman Kate Van Daele said.

"We just don't hear back historically," Van Daele said. "So that's why we, regardless of party, we just have chosen not to invoice because traditionally that's been our experience, and the experience of a lot of other municipalities."

Then there's this.  Not only do no billings apply to him, neither do any laws.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/oct/08/trump-organization-rejects-legal-bill-after-losing-windfarm-court-battle

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just gonna keep this around for a couple weeks. Because shitting on women's rights is something that they're happy to do any time they want. And in roughly 50% of the country, shitting on women's rights helps them get people voting. Kavanaugh and Gorsuch are success stories to them. 

3 hours ago, Ice Queen said:

What are they going to do, exterminate pennyroyal and chamomile? I'd love to see them try

No, they'll just make it a crime to knowingly abort a fetus. 

1 minute ago, JEORDHl said:

Ugh, Kal. You're probably not, but I hope you're wrong.

I'm actually inaccurate on this, because technically the Louisiana law makes it illegal for ANYONE who doesn't have admitting privileges at a hospital to do any abortion, and they can only do it at very specific facilities. 

So yeah, it's already illegal. 

Anyone remember someone falling as hard and fast as Harris did without any real bad highlight moments? Never liked her much myself, but I thought she’d for sure be in the conversation at this point. Will this become a textbook ‘how not to run a campaign’ teaching tool?

2 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Anyone remember someone falling as hard and fast as Harris did without any real bad highlight moments? Never liked her much myself, but I thought she’d for sure be in the conversation at this point.

I think it comes down to Democrats being scared about electability and convincing themselves that a black woman was "unelectable".  Harris' favorability among Democrats is still good, and like you said she hasn't done anything that bad.  She had a stumble when Tulsi Gabbard attacked her in the second debate, but that was hardly a lethal blow.

It strikes me as a shame that Democrats seem committed to picking a 70+ year old candidate.  I think they will regret that decision. 

So, Tom Steyer has qualified for the November debates. Considering that impeachment is his raison d'etre for running, it will probably be interesting to see what effect his presence on the debate stage will have on the race.

Archived