Football: dropping clangers and scoring bangers

polishgenius

I was busy all day and didn’t get to watch the game at all.  When I heard the scoreline and the late penalty, I though perhaps we had got away with a lucky result, but reading the match reports sounds like we had much better chances and should have won comfortably, but ultimately only did so because of a very late penalty after Leicester had got their own late equalizer without threatening much all game.  Arguably still fortunate not to drop points, but on balance we deserved the win.

So Liverpool have eight wins now in the league, but those opponents were Leicester, Chelsea, Arsenal, Burnley, Sheffield, Norwich, Newcastle and Southampton. 

I’d say only the last two or three in that list didn’t pose a difficult challenge considering all of their league form so far.  We may not be keeping clean sheets or racking up tons of goals, but we are at least seeing off difficult opponents in a very consistent and capable style. 

13 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I mean I'd have kinda expected Norwich to score a couple more but they were always going to get thumpings this season and they'll get more. Their defence is absolutely pants and the way they play offers absolutely no compromise in terms of mitigating that. It's admirable and fun but they're going down.

Sure. But you wouldn't expect them to receive a thumping like this from Villa of all teams. They did show good defensive discipline and resolve against City but they were basically forced to sit in a low block in that game. However that does show that the players are at least somewhat capable of disciplined defending; it's just up to the manager to hopefully realise that he cannot set the team up to play in such a gung-ho manner in the premier league.

Writing off Norwich when they are on to their third choice keeper, have available one centre back (who is carrying a bad injury) and one holding midfielder (who is forced to cover in the back four) seems premature. Once Ralle/Krul, Zimmermann & Trybull/Tettey are back then you can judge whether they should move to a more conservative approach.

Chelsea have goals from Abraham and Mount again today, and look like they’ll be level on points with Leicester (but behind on goal difference) tonight.  Lampard is doing well so far with the youth players, and almost no-one mentions Hazard at all.  (And Lampard is providing a harsh contrast for Solskjaer’s pivot to youth).

The big loss to United is their only really poor result so far, and that was at a time when the team looked under-baked and they were resting lots of players ahead of the European Super Cup final (although I don’t know why that would be a priority). 

If they can keep this going, they’ll quickly become the favorites of the media and neutrals, who are all a bit tired of City and Liverpool being in a top-2 of their own.

Nothing makes me happier than to watch Arsenal cede possession to Bournemouth at home with a one goal lead with hopes of catching them on the break. Emery's style of play is so fucking negative except when you have the young kids playing against Europa League teams.

11 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Chelsea have goals from Abraham and Mount again today, and look like they’ll be level on points with Leicester (but behind on goal difference) tonight.  Lampard is doing well so far with the youth players, and almost no-one mentions Hazard at all.  (And Lampard is providing a harsh contrast for Solskjaer’s pivot to youth).

Tbf, the Chelsea Academy simply offers more quality, at least at the moment. It's not like Solskjaer is sitting on the next generation of Giggs, Scholes, Beckham and Neville and just holding them back. That's probably more true wrt City. They have some neat young players that can't breakthru. Don't get me wrong, there's some talent in the United youth set up, just not in the abundance Chelsea has.

6 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Remember when Newcastle vs. ManUtd was a game with significance towards the league title, the great entertainers under Keegan?

Just asking...

Never happened. Newcastle have always, and will always, be shit. 

Archived