Football: dropping clangers and scoring bangers

polishgenius

That was some soul-sucking football. Solskjaer has got to go. It's one thing to say "give a manager time" but at the end of the day, you still need to win football games. Since being appointed on a permanent basis, Solskjaer has had the club in relegation form. He is utterly clueless tactically - worse than Moyes ever was. 

3 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

That was some soul-sucking football. Solskjaer has got to go. It's one thing to say "give a manager time" but at the end of the day, you still need to win football games. Since being appointed on a permanent basis, Solskjaer has had the club in relegation form. He is utterly clueless tactically - worse than Moyes ever was. 

Shut up!

Ole is at the wheel.  Spirit of 99.  He’s a club legend.  

Inter-Juve has been a good game so far. Juve have been the better side and will be disappointed going into the break at 1-1. Inter haven't created much but De Ligt gifted them a penalty. Both sides have had a few hairy moments trying to play out from the back. 

I think Solksjaer will stay a while yet. For all the revolving door of United managers, the Glazers have actually been relatively "patient" with their managers. They don't sack them until it truly is a lot cause and almost all the fans have given up on whoever is currently in the hot seat. They might even give him most of the season to try and claw back into the Top 4. It's not as if Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham are locking those up early.

Most of the fans blame the Glazers and Woodward for the longer term downfall.  But they’ve been generous in funding the various managers, so their only real failing was in selecting the managers and not moving to a DoF model.  But, until Solskjaer, they had a pretty good basis for selecting each manager, and were only proven wrong in hindsight:

1. Ferguson himself picked Moyes, and made them pass over Mourinho when he was still only early in his decline. 
2. After the dithering Moyes, a strong leader was sought with a strong resume, a clear philosophy and a willingness to rebuild an aged squad. LVG did all of the above but it just didn’t produce the football results. 
3. Mourinho arrived as the serial winner, the pragmatic Faustian bargain to accept dull football with a short shelf life in exchange for trophies.  And he delivered in a minor way, with an EL trophy and a second place finish.  And then it all fell apart in his third season as usual. 

To me it looks like biggest failing of Glazers and Woodward is that they didn’t have the football knowledge to make a good decision, and instead they’ve listened to everyone else and over-compensated the course corrections ever since.  They should never have let Ferguson choose his successor.  And since that error, it seems like they listen to the clamor of the fans and pundits each time, who develop amnesia later.  Most fans wanted OGS after the fortunate win in Paris, but six months later they want him gone. 

FSG went through something similar at Liverpool.  Hodgson was a terrible pick but Gerrard and others were lobbying for a British manager after Rafa.  Dalglish brought goodwill but was far too long out of management to possibly be effective.  Rodgers was a bold, hipster pick, but was too insecure/needy for such a big role at that point, even if he was a decent coach.  But eventually they proactively sought out Klopp and committed to Edwards as DoF.

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

What Man Utd need is a former player who knows the way the club works. With a wealth of premier league experience. And a massive broken nose. 

Someone who can instil a bit of passion, show players what the badge means to supporters.. that sort of thing right?

5 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

To me it looks like biggest failing of Glazers and Woodward is that they didn’t have the football knowledge to make a good decision, and instead they’ve listened to everyone else and over-compensated the course corrections ever since.  They should never have let Ferguson choose his successor.  And since that error, it seems like they listen to the clamor of the fans and pundits each time, who develop amnesia later.  Most fans wanted OGS after the fortunate win in Paris, but six months later they want him gone. 

I mean, this is a pretty massive failure of leadership. Fans are reactionary (what else is new) but for people running a football club to be making decisions based on the temperature of the fanbase and/or opinions of football pundits is the height of incompetence. Not having the knowledge is not an excuse (it isn't that difficult to hire people with the knowledge especially for a club like United who can pay top dollar) - I doubt City's owners have any more football knowledge than United's but they hired Soriano and Begiristain to run the football operation. 

Not so sure about that. Seems like a lazy argument that gets thrown out a lot though. I suppose you could make that argument for Pogba and Zlatan - their commercial value surely played a part in United forking out a world record fee for the former and making the latter the highest paid player in the league at the age of 35. Players like Maguire, Wan Bissaka, Shaw, Rojo, Bailly, Mkhitaryan, Fred, Martial, Lukaku, James and even Sanchez are hardly commercial juggernauts. 

Another positive result away from home for Chelsea. I didn't even think they played that brilliantly against Southampton, yet still managed to register four goals. They are now the third highest scorers in the league, which is mighty impressive when you consider 13 out of the 18 league goals have been scored from academy products (Abraham 8, Mount 4, Tomori 1).

Compared to the previous two seasons, Chelsea are a far more enjoyable side to watch. Passing accuracy and passes per game have both gone down this season compared to last (89% to 83% / 659.74 to 547.75), which is an example of how they have become more direct going forward. Last season they were so boring to watch, despite enjoying large amounts of possession. The way they moved the ball forward seemed very rigid when compared to the way they play this season. 

Obviously, they concede far too many goals (only Southampton, Norwich and Watford have conceded more league goals this season), but I think being able to score as many as they are scoring at the moment is a good starting base for this team.

Looking at Liverpool's progression under Klopp, in his first full season, only Arsenal had conceded more goals in the top 6 teams than Liverpool, yet only the three teams that finished above them (Chelsea, Spurs, Man City) had scored more. In Klopp's second full season, Liverpool were the second highest goal scorers in the top 6, but had conceded more goals than the three teams that finished above them again (Man City, Man United and Spurs). Last season, though, they had the best defence in the league and were able to finish with 97 points; this season, they have the best defence so far and also hold an 8 point lead at the top. 

With Liverpool under Klopp (full seasons), they had always been able to score a good amount of goals to get them into the top four, but it was the shoring up at the back that enabled them to move from that strong starting base of being in the top 4 to a team competing to win the title. It may take Lampard a while to get Chelsea conceding fewer goals, but the fact they can score a lot of goals is a good base to build from.

5 hours ago, Consigliere said:

I mean, this is a pretty massive failure of leadership. Fans are reactionary (what else is new) but for people running a football club to be making decisions based on the temperature of the fanbase and/or opinions of football pundits is the height of incompetence. Not having the knowledge is not an excuse (it isn't that difficult to hire people with the knowledge especially for a club like United who can pay top dollar) - I doubt City's owners have any more football knowledge than United's but they hired Soriano and Begiristain to run the football operation. 

It’s almost like an attempt to follow a pure Athenian democracy, and then the polis complains that you did what they asked for at every turn.

On 10/6/2019 at 7:04 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

FFS Newcastle, don’t get Solskjaer sacked yet.  The league collectively needs to throw them a bone every once a while so that he keeps his job.

So Liverpool are gonna tank at Old Trafford then?

I mean, don't get greedy, you already got to kill off Mourinho.

17 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So Liverpool are gonna tank at Old Trafford then?

I'm not sure if Liverpool can tank enough for this Man Utd team to win. 

on another note Man Utd are in a no win situation, if they beat Liverpool, City retain the premier league consecutive wins record.

Archived