Football: dropping clangers and scoring bangers

polishgenius

In earnest. It's a derby. It's quite early in the season, but this feels already like final for United to salvage at least something, somehow from this season. Even if it's just giving their rival a good kick against the shin, and put an end to their undefeated run, and maybe the vague hope to kickstart their own season. Let's be frank here, United really that need that shot in the arm now. If United play liked they did the last couple of weeks, that would make life pretty awkward for OGS and the entire team. And surely Ole wouldn't be on the wheel for any longer.

Liverpool could run riot but it's more likely they win by a couple of goals (0-3 might be a worst case scenario). Solskjaer might not like it but he has no choice but to park the bus and play on the counter. United's defence has been fairly decent this season; it's the lack of a goal scoring threat that has been our downfall. Solskjaer's decision to freeze out Lukaku and put his faith in Rashford has backfired spectacularly (as I knew it would) - for all his technical limitations Lukaku was, is and always will be a better goal scorer than either Rashford or Martial. 

17 hours ago, polishgenius said:

It's a sad fucking irony that the greatest weakness of a Solskjaer-managed team is scoring goals.

He's not that old - I'd like to see him bring himself on as a supersub in the last 20 minutes of an 0-0 and score the winning goal!

Liverpool-United will be probably be a tense, low quality match. Only one side can play coherent football so that doesn't really augur well.

I think even if there is a fairly heavy defeat, Solksjaer will be given more time. The "new manager boost" at United only seems to last for about half a season so the Glazers will be wary of chopping and changing again until someone definitely better can be locked down. There aren't that many alternatives available at the moment.

Even though Pochettino might soon become available, the last 12 months for Spurs must give them some pause - there's a chance that if they took him they'd just be repeating another Mourinho, getting a manager after his prime days are done.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

AC Milan confirm the appointment of Stefano Pioli as new manager. Never heard of him but looking at his record is Serie A and Serie B, it really isn't impressive at all. 

Seems like this would be like you guys firing Ole just to hire Big Sam or some shit. Feel bad for Milan fans 

He did a decent  job at Lazio, but still a pretty underwhelming appointment. I would’ve liked to have seen Domenico Tedesco given a shot. I’m not sure whether he has any reputation in Italy and his age would likely be more of an issue than it was in Germany, but he is twice the manager Pioli is. It would also suggest Milan’s senior management have some idea of how they’d like to play, rather than enforce another abrupt change of style.

5 hours ago, Jeor said:

Even though Pochettino might soon become available, the last 12 months for Spurs must give them some pause - there's a chance that if they took him they'd just be repeating another Mourinho, getting a manager after his prime days are done.

I think it's way too early to conclude that Pochettino's 'prime days are done'. It is worrying how quickly and radically things have crashed at Spurs, but it's unclear as yet the extent to which that is the manager's fault.

7 minutes ago, Philokles said:

He did a decent  job at Lazio, but still a pretty underwhelming appointment. I would’ve liked to have seen Domenico Tedesco given a shot. I’m not sure whether he has any reputation in Italy and his age would likely be more of an issue than it was in Germany, but he is twice the manager Pioli is. It would also suggest Milan’s senior management have some idea of how they’d like to play, rather than enforce another abrupt change of style.

He is on his way to Moscow (Spartak).

7 hours ago, Jeor said:

I think it is a bit too premature to think that Poch will be available soon. He's built up a great deal of goodwill at Spurs over the years so things will need to get much worse (Mourinho meltdown level of bad) for Spurs to even consider sacking him. 

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Bouhafsi reporting that Aulas approached Mourinho for the managerial vacancy at Lyon but he rejected the offer. Lyon have now moved on to Blanc and a meeting is scheduled for later in the week. 

Brazilian media is reporting Lyon also talked with Jorge Sampaoli for the position, but considering he's currently employed at Santos and doesn't speak French, seems more likely a plan B if they don't come to terms with Blanc.

Anyway, seemed pretty obvious that Sylvinho's term would end like this, considering he speaks no French and had no managerial experience (basically, a Gary Neville situation). 

People at Lyon trusted Juninho Pernambucano's judgement, but those of us that live in Brazil followed his post-playing career are not surprised.  He seemed a player that very thoughtful and of above average intelligence, but once he begun working as a pundit, it was one dumb comment after another, until he eventually got fired; a highlight was him saying that Flamengo's fans complaining about the performances of left-back Renê only did so because they had prejudice against players from the Brazilian Northeast,- while he commenting a match along side fellow pundit Junior, Flamengo's greatest ever left back and record appearance holder, who was himself born in the Northeast of the country (Flamengo is also the most popular team in region by a large margin).

7 hours ago, Consigliere said:

AC Milan confirm the appointment of Stefano Pioli as new manager. Never heard of him but looking at his record is Serie A and Serie B, it really isn't impressive at all. 

Yeah, I don't think Milan had an appointment that looked solid since Allegri.

11 hours ago, mormont said:

I think it's way too early to conclude that Pochettino's 'prime days are done'. It is worrying how quickly and radically things have crashed at Spurs, but it's unclear as yet the extent to which that is the manager's fault.

Fair enough. I guess Klopp even oversaw a similar disintegration at Dortmund and look where he is now.

Archived