Football: dropping clangers and scoring bangers

polishgenius

Best result we could have possibly hoped for. Doesn't really help our predicament though. Liverpool dominating possession helped us and obviously the players themselves would have been motivated because it's Liverpool but the underlying issue is still a very concerning one - we look utterly clueless with the ball unless we've been afforded the space to counter attack.

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Lindelof has kicked him, it’s not like it was just a coming together. How’s that not a foul? 

Eh - seen it a few times during the game, but I don't think it's that harsh at all to not be given.

Also, and maybe this is a bit harsh, but Alex Oxlade is literally the same player we sold. Injuries kept him out?

14 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Lindelof has kicked him, it’s not like it was just a coming together. How’s that not a foul? 

To be honest, there was contact but the ball did already get away from Origi. Had he been able to get it when Lindelof kicked him I am certain that the foul would've been called.

That being said, I think Atkinson had a crappy performance today but wouldn't get too much into that to avoid looking like I'm blaming the referee for Liverpool's bad result when it's down to Liverpool's bad performance.

Also, James seems like he has great potential but he definitely needs to improve his strength if he's to play with "the big boys". Today he had a pretty good game but he could easily end up injured when opponents play a bit more physical game like Fabinho and Van Dijk did yesterday.

While on the topic of James, I hated how he was lying on the pitch for a couple of minutes while both team continued on playing and he was then allowed to carry on as if nothing happened. If the guy is lying on the ground for extended period and then is getting treatment for a couple of minutes should he be allowed to continue the match? I mean, in James' case he might be since he was only winded but there are worse cases.

17 hours ago, Raja said:

Eh - seen it a few times during the game, but I don't think it's that harsh at all to not be given.

Also, and maybe this is a bit harsh, but Alex Oxlade is literally the same player we sold. Injuries kept him out?

Nope, he is not the same player. He has won a CL winners medal, and he even did it without ever playing a minute.

6 hours ago, Jeor said:

Chance to go 3rd and completely blown.

If Aubameyang isn't on form, then Arsenal have nothing going for them.

Still waiting for Arsenal to develop a style of play that they impose on teams rather than trying to make changes per game to neutralize what teams do.

8 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Still waiting for Arsenal to develop a style of play that they impose on teams rather than trying to make changes per game to neutralize what teams do.

I think part of the reason is that Emery seems to be more of a tactician than a strategist. He doesn't have a major guiding philosophy so it tends to be about setting up against your opponent, and while this Arsenal team has the attackers who can adapt to most gameplans, the defensive side of things is woefully inadequate.

19 minutes ago, Jeor said:

I think part of the reason is that Emery seems to be more of a tactician than a strategist. He doesn't have a major guiding philosophy so it tends to be about setting up against your opponent, and while this Arsenal team has the attackers who can adapt to most gameplans, the defensive side of things is woefully inadequate.

They have strikers who can score but he has no idea how to control the midfield and create an attacking threat, maybe it's because of his set up, his philosophy or his refusal to put the most creative player on the team on the field. When Torreira plays AM and Saka plays DM, you know you have some serious issues.

Ugh, politics suck. Football sucks. Not great.

We're doing worse with a better squad. Emery is going to be in serious trouble if we keep performing like that. And I don't see that it's going to turn around at all. This is going to be such a waste of a really good squad.

On 10/21/2019 at 8:58 AM, Raja said:

Harsh during open play? No. 

But for a goal? Hell yes. You can’t kick players. Full stop. It’s as black and white as Mane touching the ball. You can’t kick players. Doesn’t matter if Origi goes down or not. 

Should have been treated the same as the Mane goal. 

5 minutes ago, ants said:

But for a goal? Hell yes. You can’t kick players. Full stop. It’s as black and white as Mane touching the ball. You can’t kick players. Doesn’t matter if Origi goes down or not. 

As I said, it's close enough that I can see it going either way. To me, it is not at all as black & white as you make it out to be.

Archived