Football: dropping clangers and scoring bangers

polishgenius

Yeah, I'd say it was probably a foul but once the on field ref didn't give it, there was no chance of VAR overturning that decision based on what we've seen in the EPL this season. The bar for "clear and obvious" is set so high that we've seen numerous incidents far more obvious than this one where the VAR upheld the original decision by the ref. Thus far in the EPL, VAR has only been useful for offsides. In all other incidents the VAR has just deferred to the refs original decision. 

24 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

the front three have all been poor so far.

you're being polite.IMO they have been dogshit.Salah i can forgive since he's coming back from his ankle injury but what the hell is up with Firmino? Mane got a good bollocking from Klopp deservedly.Genk deserved a goal or two, Allison saved us twice.

Mark my words, Genk will score in the 2nd half so we better get our shit together.

9 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

yup.Keita needs to come off soon.

Hmm, Oxlade-Chamberlain's had two great moments but Keita's been the best of the midfielders for me. He's been really good at consistently offering himself as an option to receive the ball and link play.

4-1 away is still a good win, especially considering that our front three weren't looking too sharp for most of the game (where has Firmino's form gone?), and we had massive disruption to our defense.  Nice to have both Ox and Keita play, and play well.  But it was noticeable that we had less protection for our defense.  Which turned out fine on balance against this opponent.  Gomez needs to take a long look at why Lovren would start ahead of him; I'd really like Joe to rediscover his form of last year, and it seems to be mainly about his reading of the game and his positioning.

13 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

But it was noticeable that we had less protection for our defense.

To be honest, that might have something to do with Lovren instead of Matip and Milner instead of Trent.

15 hours ago, baxus said:

To be honest, that might have something to do with Lovren instead of Matip and Milner instead of Trent.

15 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

It's not like we've looked secure with Wijnaldum and Henderson in the team this season either. I think a lot of it is down to the high defensive line, rather than the midfielders playing

Yes, the high line was a problem in the first half as two long balls, both aimed at the Lovren/Milner channel (our slowest defenders by a large margin), gave Genk easy chances.  But Ox and Keita didn’t seem to cut out the passing channels quite right either.  

Well, that's just a trade-off for having Ox and Keita instead of Gini and Hendo- you get a bit more in the attack at the cost of some gaps in your defence and I think it was worth it against Genk. Not sure I'd like to see such a formation against a higher quality opponent, though.

Archived