Football: dropping clangers and scoring bangers

polishgenius

6 hours ago, baxus said:

Well, that's just a trade-off for having Ox and Keita instead of Gini and Hendo- you get a bit more in the attack at the cost of some gaps in your defence and I think it was worth it against Genk. Not sure I'd like to see such a formation against a higher quality opponent, though.

I agree.  I said the balance we chose was appropriate for this opponent.  Genk has some speedy attackers, but they weren’t the sharpest finishers. 

I also think that Ox and Keita will get sharper about their positioning to block passing lanes.  That should improve as they play more.  Some rustiness after long absences isn’t a surprise and can be ironed out.

And it would be good to have at least one of Ox or Keita in our MF against defensive opponents.  Although I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hendo and Gini back in for Spurs on Sunday.  Unfortunate timing for Liverpool that Spurs just shrugged off their bad form and smashed a 5-0 win midweek.

28 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I also think that Ox and Keita will get sharper about their positioning to block passing lanes.  That should improve as they play more.  Some rustiness after long absences isn’t a surprise and can be ironed out.

I'd place a bit of the blame on Robertson as well to be honest. It's not like Keita was completely abdicating his defensive responsibilities, he was trying to track back in defense. I think there probably needs to be an awareness from Robertson (and Alexander-Arnold when he's back) that if we're not playing a completely work rate focused midfield to cover for the attacking runs of the fullbacks they need to be a bit more cautious in choosing when to go forward. 

Shame Leicester didn't get double digits, but Southampton have Man City away next up so it might come sooner rather than later. It's remarkable they didn't invest in the defence over the summer - Bertrand is the only PL quality player (admittedly Bednarek looked decent last season), yet they only brought in a kid who was not first choice at Augsburg to shore things up.

Talking about funny football stuff.

Kiel - Bochum saw the most ridiculous penalty call, I've seen in a while. The game ended 2-1 for Kiel so it did not make a difference in the end, but the situation was still pretty funny.

The ball was on its way to cross touchline, when a Kiel sub, who was warming up behind the goal stopped the ball. Tough luck, as the ball had not crossed the line in its entirety (yes VAR called it). Rule change from a few years ago. If a sub (or club official likesay assistant manager) interferes with the play, the club shall be punished with a direct freekick (whcih translate to a penalty if the incident happened in the penalty area). Thus Bochum was really gifted a penalty, which they in turn converted.

So, I know Wijnaldum gets a lock of stick on this site.  Interestingly, he's a nominee for the Ballon d'Or.....

18 hours ago, Raja said:

Yikes. That penalty just given against Everton was so harsh.

Why was it harsh?  He stepped on his foot in the penalty area.  If the Ref had seen it, it's a penalty every time.   Hell, its a free kick anywhere on the pitch if the ref sees it.  

Just now, ants said:

Why was it harsh?  He stepped on his foot in the penalty area.  If the Ref had seen it, it's a penalty every time.

Not every piece of contact is a foul. I don't know in what world that is a foul. In addition, thus far, VAR has refused to give penalties for challenges that are much more clear cut than that, but gives one for that. There is zero consistency because the PL hasn't figured out the right way to implement VAR. It has denied *much* more stonewall penalties than those.

If you think that is a foul, good for you. I don't think that's a penalty at all & neither is it a foul.

Pretty disappointed that Match of the Day completely skimmed over Southampton’s defensive performance last night. I do enjoy a critical look at what teams do badly, but unsurprisingly Gary and crew tried to be nice and focussed on how great Leicester were.

No team should be conceding 9 at home, even with a man down. 

Archived