Football: dropping clangers and scoring bangers

polishgenius

I just got to watch highlights of the Liverpool game.  Really entertaining, especially for a LC match, but some pretty shocking defending in there too.  Sepp Van Den Berg was way off the pace (and has been at U-23 level too), Lallana is not a DM against any sort of attacking side, and the MF generally was not shielding the defense well.  Lots of errors for their goals, including the first two when Kelleher palmed the ball into the center of the six yard box both times.  And Arsenal were a bit lucky with an offside goal allowed to stand and a clear handball penalty not given.  And Keita picked up yet another injury.

But, despite my complaints, the young players did very well and fought back several times.  Origi took his two goals like a central striker (beautiful first touch control for his first), and Ox smashed a beauty with some great technique. They’ve definitely earned themselves another game.

I tuned in at halftime so I can't say what first half looked like but second half was some of the most entertaining football I have ever seen.

It's great to see a lot of youngsters getting game time against a team such as Arsenal, despite all the problems Arsenal FC is facing at the moment and the fact that Arsenal didn't come at full strength. The experience will mean a lot.

Also, I quite loved Kelleher's performance in the penalty shootout. He saved one shot out of five and read where another three shots would go but couldn't stop them. It's only one game (one half, actually) I've seen him play and it's definitely too early to say but he showed a lot of potential.

13 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

But, despite my complaints, the young players did very well and fought back several times. 

Watching the game did make me realise again just how good Alexander-Arnold is. Neco Williams seems to be quite a talented young attacking fullback and he did ok but I kept thinking Liverpool had worked quite a good attacking position when they gave the ball to the right back about 40 yards from goal in a bit of space. I had to keep reminding myself it's only a dangerous position when it's Alexander-Arnold with his ridiculous range of passing for a fullback.

On 10/31/2019 at 8:35 AM, baxus said:

I tuned in at halftime so I can't say what first half looked like but second half was some of the most entertaining football I have ever seen.

Also, I quite loved Kelleher's performance in the penalty shootout. He saved one shot out of five and read where another three shots would go but couldn't stop them. It's only one game (one half, actually) I've seen him play and it's definitely too early to say but he showed a lot of potential.

Yeah, if you watched the whole game, you might have had a different impression. Two of the goals were at least partly his fault. There was some shocking defending (as others have mentioned) as well, but two rebounds put on a plate for the nearest Arsenal attacker did not really inspire any sort of confidence. The penalties were very much redemptive on his account.

Ox is showing signs of picking up where he left off before the injury last season, and if he keeps scoring goals like that, you'd have to think it's a matter of time before either Hendo or Gini have to make way for him in the starting 11, especially against teams liable to park the old bus. Interesting to see if he gets the nod against Villa.

1 hour ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

I know it’s still early but I’m starting to really think Inter could be in with a good shot of winning the Scudetto this year, Conte is doing a fine job so far.

Conte is top 3 manager itw easily for me. Would be one of the greatest achievements if he was able to win the league first year but just challenging Juve and Napoli is amazing considering how they looked last season. 

Inter have a much better team than last season though. There was a big clear out and 12 players coming in as well. So credit to Marotta for revamping the squad to Conte's liking. I'd say Inter are now better than Napoli but it's still going to be tough to dethrone Juve. Conte is a better manager than Sarri so they are in with a decent shout of winning the Scudetto but there is still a gap in quality between the two sides which was evident when they met a few weeks ago - Juve dominated that game and away from home as well.

Not surprising. Once Bournemouth took the lead I knew it was game over. It's not just a lack of quality but also this United team has neither the heart nor the balls to chase a game. Combined with us having a manager and coaching staff who are among the worst in the league, United are well and truly a middle-of-the-pack side. So it's best to just accept that we will be lucky to finish in the top 10 this season - forget about top 6 and top 4 is just a pipe dream. 

Fortunately United being utter dogshit isn't going to spoil my mood today.

Fabinho is being rested to avoid a fifth yellow card before the City game.  But that means Lallana at DM and Lovren at CB (Matip is out for several more weeks).  Suddenly that spine looks vulnerable, especially if Villa use Wesley as a target man for counter-attacks. 

30 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Fabinho is being rested to avoid a fifth yellow card before the City game.  But that means Lallana at DM and Lovren at CB (Matip is out for several more weeks).  Suddenly that spine looks vulnerable, especially if Villa use Wesley as a target man for counter-attacks. 

Definitely looked vulnerable in the opening fifteen minutes 

edit: Can’t remember the last time City and Liverpool were losing at the same time 

firmino clearly onside lol but still we should be scoring four or five on them. 

Archived