Football: dropping clangers and scoring bangers

polishgenius

Mane has been useless so far, Salah isn't much better but at least they can turn it on in the second half. Lovren, Henderson, Lallana and Gini should never be allowed on the same pitch as each other unless nobody else is fit.

Something we agree on. The implementation of VAR in the PL has been diabolically woeful. It's almost like they've gotten every single aspect possible wrong. The crowd being kept in the dark, the reluctance to overrule refs, who are more reluctant to make calls because they can lean on VAR correcting them, the lack of the match ref using the touchline screen, the seemingly random offside decisions (armpit?) and VAR not giving clear penalties (Mané's was stonewall (by the rules) and how that handball from Ox's shot is not in an unnatural position, I'll never know).

Still, what heart, belief and composure from these players. They never look rattled, deflated or overcome by the situations they're facing. I used to absolutely hate how good ManU were at this exact thing under Fergie, and how sweet it is to be on the other side of it. Credit to Klopp for making the right subs at the right time.

We do need to sort out our rediscovered defensive frailty, though. We can't keep pulling results out of the bag like this.

But the ending of that game got me more pumped than I can remember being. Fucking get in, you beautiful reds.

Archived