Football: dropping clangers and scoring bangers

polishgenius

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Could be off but idk feels like for at least the fans of the clubs that are competing for Europe it’s looked at as something that can be thrown away. 

It's not a massive trophy for the top clubs but, like, I watch most games when we're in it and I can remember when we've won it and some things that happen in it. I've never bothered to watch a club world cup game and only know that we won it once coz I looked it up just now. I'm pretty sure that's the case for most fans. There's just no significance attached to it at all.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

but the League Cup, I don't think you can find anybody outside England who gives a toss.

Yeah but... they're an English club. Sure, a lot of their players aren't, but the environment is English, the fans they play in front of every week are English.

Maybe it's just me but I feel like there's actually been a bit of an increase in interest in the league cup in the last few years. Yeah, it's not that important to the Premier League teams but because they aren't that fussed if they get knocked out we get to see youth players who don't usually get a chance in league games, at least until they've already done well in some cup games. It's just kind of fun.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Anyway, I dunno why Arsenal were playing today

UEFA rules. Two teams from the same region cannot play home games on the same day (to maintain safety regulations and reduce fan congestion) - Braga are playing Besiktas tomorrow and since Braga and Guimarães are quite close together, it was decided that Arsenal/Vitoria will be the fixture that is moved. It was an extra early kickoff as well for broadcasting reasons so as not to clash with the early kickoff CL games. 

So Leverkusen is finally starting to play football.

Too bad they messed up the first three group games. I had them as second place in that group ahead of Atletico after the draw. Yes, that prediction had not aged well.

6 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yes, it really means. The reserve plays. Why just largely consistent? Because the senior players (Milner, Origi, Lallana), who played in the previous rounds, will presumably travel with the senior squad as back ups/rotation options.

I actually think, given the way it's presented - as 'respecting the integrity of the competition' - that the reverse is true. That it means the CC organisers have received assurances that at least two or three of the first team squad will play, as they did in earlier rounds.

Another game, another poor performance. 7 shots for Arsenal, one on target compared to 15 from Guimaraes, 4 on target. I don't even miss watching Arsenal play these days and that has to be the biggest indictment against Emery's style for me. 

Ok, that was proper rubbish. Not sure whether this was an improvement over last week, when we threw away a two goal lead against the worst team I've seen this season. But there we at least played football. Today was just bad football by two very limited teams.

If our resident scousers start with their high level whining about their team playing crap and not winning by 3 goals, I recommend them watching one of those games. At the very least it should help them appreciate their players more, and see the difference between Origi/Wijnaldum and actual championship level footballers. Sorry, I am just porperly annoyed.

VAR madness from the Bundesliga.

But this time it was more down to the on field ref.

During the Berlin Leipzig game.

Berlin's Stark gets Laimer's (Leipzig) elbow in his face (he had to be subbed with a broken nose) in the Leipzig box.

On field ref (Storks) waves on, awards a corner to Berlin.

VAR calls in, tells him to review the scene.

Storks: Nah, I am perfectly happy with my decission.

20 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

There’s an argument they’re better than the title winning side.

I'm not sure it's much of an argument, they definitely are. Still very reliant eon Vardy up top but otherwise much less reliant on the form of Kante and Mahrez being good. 

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Man City could lose tomorrow and drop points to Chelsea in 2 weeks and the title race lead could be insurmountable as well.  

I can't imagine Liverpool not getting hit by the fixture congestion at least a little bit. They're far more vulnerable than City or Leicester (who aren't going to have half as much of it), so I wouldn't set any expectations over the title race till like March at the earliest.

23 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I can't imagine Liverpool not getting hit by the fixture congestion at least a little bit. They're far more vulnerable than City or Leicester (who aren't going to have half as much of it), so I wouldn't set any expectations over the title race till like March at the earliest.

From someone who saw his team blow a 900 point lead I agree with this. 

28 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'm not sure it's much of an argument, they definitely are. Still very reliant eon Vardy up top but otherwise much less reliant on the form of Kante and Mahrez being good. 

I think they probably are better but Kante and Mahrez were really good that year. They don’t really have a player on that level this year. Their overall squad is clearly better though.

Archived