House Manderly demanding his Reach lands back from Targaryen/Velaryon/Baratheon

Would Starks see it as insult as they see giving New Gift to Night's Watch by Targaryen king?

I am considering 3 different scenarios:

1. Conqueror's reign. Aegon I could use this demand to further weaken Tyrells and Starks.
  2. Dance of Dragons. Since Peake was Green, Velaryons could use it too. But after dance Unwin Peake would overrule on the matter.
  3. Robert Baratheon's reign. I can't say since Tyrells fought in Aerys's side but there is no Peake around to complain.

Aegon I already weakened the Tyrells/Reach when he named them lords of highgarden. 
It’s strange that the Manderlys never demanded their lands back. My guess is that they are happy with White harbour and are probably richer than they were before.

41 minutes ago, The Young Maester said:

Aegon I already weakened the Tyrells/Reach when he named them lords of highgarden. 
It’s strange that the Manderlys never demanded their lands back. My guess is that they are happy with White harbour and are probably richer than they were before.

There are hints that they did ask about that. Talk about that 'great injustice' in the past. And the fact that they still bear all their ancient and hereditary titles from the Gardener era strongly suggests they never forgot who they were and what they lost.

And they seem to be numerous enough to split up the family and have one Reach branch and one White Harbor branch if lands and properties and castles in the Reach were restored to them.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if a Manderly became a powerful lord in the Reach when the series ends. Wyman only has one living son, but he has two granddaughters, and (possibly) more than just the one cousin that has been mentioned so far.

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

I actually expect Stannis to promise such a restoration of lands and properties in exchange for the Manderly help in his wars. Assuming they ever strike a deal.

If this was in Stannis' mind, why not pitch it as part of Davos' embassy, rather than have Lord Wyman demanding 'what does Stannis offer' to be told only to 'do your duty'?

Also experience shows the Manderlys that the Reach Lords are treacherous, jealous and grasping, yet the Starks have been open-handed, welcoming and loyal towards them. 'Green' blood or no, the Manderlys would never be secure going back to the Reach. I think the only thing that would force them out of the North would be a final Bolton victory up there. And of course, we don't know who currently holds Dunstonbury. They might not want to give it back ...

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

There are hints that they did ask about that. Talk about that 'great injustice' in the past. And the fact that they still bear all their ancient and hereditary titles from the Gardener era strongly suggests they never forgot who they were and what they lost.

And they seem to be numerous enough to split up the family and have one Reach branch and one White Harbor branch if lands and properties and castles in the Reach were restored to them.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if a Manderly became a powerful lord in the Reach when the series ends. Wyman only has one living son, but he has two granddaughters, and (possibly) more than just the one cousin that has been mentioned so far.

I have a feeling that in winds the manderlys will rise in power and Influence. White harbour is a sleeping giant with their vast wealth and high population. 

I am of the opinion that Wyman manderly benefitted more from the war of the five kings than Roose Bolton. Correct me if I am wrong, but white harbour has to pay kings landing a portion of its tariffs gained from imports. And seeing how the north was at war with kings landing for a whole year. Lord too fat to sit a horse kept all the tariff-income for himself. Or maybe he adjusted the tariffs in order to pull trade from kings landing into white harbour. 

White harbour might have the strongest fleet in the eastern coast. And no doubt the largest army in the North. 

Maybe in the end of the last book we shall see the rise of the merman. 

1 hour ago, Rufus Snow said:

If this was in Stannis' mind, why not pitch it as part of Davos' embassy, rather than have Lord Wyman demanding 'what does Stannis offer' to be told only to 'do your duty'?

It might have not been in Stannis' mind. The idea is that the Manderlys team up with Stannis and rise from there to an important role in the endgame of the series. If there is a powerful Manderly contingent fighting in whatever the last battle of the series might be - and they are supporting the victorious side whoever that might be - then whoever is king in the end might well reward the Manderlys with their ancient lands and titles - especially if crucial Reach houses are extinguished or attainted (say, the Tarlys).

But in a short-term context Stannis certainly would have to promise his Northmen - assuming any truly join his cause - rewards in lands and property should they ever march down south with him. In the unlikely scenario that Stannis actually takes the Iron Throne with an army of Northmen at his back the most prominent of his Northern supporters might win themselves not only places on his council and at his court but also new seats for themselves in the south.

After all, Stannis does want to make new lords, does he not?

1 hour ago, Rufus Snow said:

Also experience shows the Manderlys that the Reach Lords are treacherous, jealous and grasping, yet the Starks have been open-handed, welcoming and loyal towards them. 'Green' blood or no, the Manderlys would never be secure going back to the Reach. I think the only thing that would force them out of the North would be a final Bolton victory up there. And of course, we don't know who currently holds Dunstonbury. They might not want to give it back ...

The Manderlys are Reach lords themselves, and might have actually been the treacherous, jealous, and grasping ones considering that they had to go.

The idea here is not that the Manderlys would ever give up White Harbor. But a split of the properties is imaginable. Let's say Wylla Manderly gets White Harbor and Wynafryd Manderly whatever they can regain of their ancient property along the Mander.

If a claim was pressed on the Iron Throne to restore the Manderly lands in the Reach, the king on the Iron Throne would probably laugh and tell the Manderlys to take a place in the waiting line. Right after the Peakes and Osgreys who are also bitching about lands they lost a long time ago and are not going to get back. And probably behind a whole bunch of other guys.

20 minutes ago, Lion of the West said:

If a claim was pressed on the Iron Throne to restore the Manderly lands in the Reach, the king on the Iron Throne would probably laugh and tell the Manderlys to take a place in the waiting line. Right after the Peakes and Osgreys who are also bitching about lands they lost a long time ago and are not going to get back. And probably behind a whole bunch of other guys.

Don't forget Prince of Summer Islands.

Archived