Should robb had stayed in north

Mrstrategy

11 hours ago, Mrstrategy said:

I was thinking what if instead of calling the banners and marching south Robb Stark tried to negotiate for his father freedom using diplomacy instead of military

Robb had no standing ground with which he could negotiate, specially after Lysa freed Tyrion (which was anyway a poor exchange, see Sansa vs Jaime possible exchange).

Furthermore, imprisoning Ned in charges of high treason is already a slight in honor of House Stark and in the whole North that needed to be answered.

Finally, had Robb not called the banners and not go to war was a recipe for disaster whenever he becomes Lord of Winterfell. His subjects would have easily thought what a weak Lord they had. You see how the Great Jon tested Robb, to see whether this Tully-looking boy had actually stomach for war.

Robb had little breathing room here. And that is besides of the events down in KL.

On 10/10/2019 at 6:57 PM, Mrstrategy said:

I was thinking what if instead of calling the banners and marching south Robb Stark tried to negotiate for his father freedom using diplomacy instead of military

He would need to obey the summons.  Ned will go to the wall and take his vows.  The Starks may have to give up Rickon to hostage with the Lannisters. 

8 hours ago, Finley McLeod said:

He would need to obey the summons.  Ned will go to the wall and take his vows.  The Starks may have to give up Rickon to hostage with the Lannisters. 

Yes, to remain in the 7K.

If he declared independence. There is no dragon to have the Starks bend the knee again. The kingdom is divided. No South army could conquer the North. Not any winter. Dorme would not join Joffrey. Neither Stannis or Renly. I believe the 7K would explode then.

Archived