El Camino: The Chariot of Destiny (Spoilers)

DMC

Checked the last twelve pages, only Gilligan-related thread I saw was the BCS one, and I don't think this goes there.  Besides, young Pinkman's triumphant return deserves its own thread.  So who else is pumped?  Actually had to look up when it's going to available on Netflix - I've never been excited enough to care about the exact time something is released.  Apparently the internets tells me 3am EST.  So only FIVE MORE HOURS BITCH!

I think it was a nice little dip into that world for fans, not necessarily essential and certainly not something which stands on its own. Lots of references and cameos from BB (and BCS, I think, the dude with the hookers looks like the chickenshit giant who ran away when Mike throat punched that dude). Todd did put on a lot of weight and Aaron Paul couldn’t quite pull off the young Jesse flashbacks; time’s a bitch, yo.

Didn't see this when I bumped the old thread. Just starting it now. 

10 hours ago, DMC said:

Only about half way through, smoke break, but damn - Todd/Landry got fat.

He did that a while ago for a movie role and then stayed fat for season two of Fargo. I don't think I've seen him in anything else since. 

It's very much a bookend for fans and may have worked better if released within a few months of the show initially ending. The cameos were fairly fleeting with the exception of Jesse plemens who was excellent as unassuming evil. Shame we didn't get a cameo from Saul Goodman too but i guess they don't want to spoil any of his future outside the show.

It was nice to see Jesse/Aaron shine as they were often overshadowed by walt/Bryan in the main show. I'm still looking forward to what Aaron can bring to westworld season 3

5 hours ago, Morpheus said:

I think it was a nice little dip into that world for fans, not necessarily essential and certainly not something which stands on its own.

Yeah I agree.  I thought they spent way too much time with the Todd flashbacks (and that's not a dig on the actor, just, we get it he's a sociopath and he's dead, let's move on).  And while I ate up most of the fan-service, it really seemed just too on the nose.  Like, even when Jesse is robbing his parents' safe to get the guns, it's like, "yep, they changed the code to his brother's birthday."  That's exactly what I would expect, and you could say that about the entire film.  I guess I was just looking for...something that I couldn't think of.  That's what made the show so great.

Saw Gilligan say he thinks it's about time for him to move on from the BB/BCS world, and I whole-heartedly agree.  I love him for giving us this Jesse sendoff, but when the credits rolled last night/this morning I couldn't help feeling like the whole thing was very anti-climactic.

It was fine but I didn't really see the point of it.

The movie didn't feature anything remarkable, surprising or new that my brain wouldn't or couldn't have filled in when Jesse drove away in the series finale... so what was the point?  just for the sake taking of a stroll down memory lane? It didn't seem remotely necessary. Maybe they're going to shoehorn Jesse into BCS?

I was wondering about PInkman after the finale, and it was nice to get some closure. Like I turned on subtitles to better hear the newscasts in the background. But like the Deadwood movie it kinda seemed like a re-tread of the finale. Paul was great though. 

1 hour ago, kairparavel said:

Also, before Robert Forster first came on screen I remarked that I thought he had died earlier in the year and wondered if they had recast the role. Of course not. He died earlier TODAY. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/robert-forster-dead-resurgent-oscar-nominee-jackie-brown-was-78-1218184

He was great. Able  to convey a subtle kinda strength tinged with wisdom. I only relatively recently learned he was also the lead cop in Alligator. Loved that movie. and his role in Jackie Brown. 

1 hour ago, kairparavel said:

Also, before Robert Forster first came on screen I remarked that I thought he had died earlier in the year and wondered if they had recast the role. Of course not. He died earlier TODAY. 

Yeah that sucks.  I also did not know until today he was from Rochester, where I was born and raised.  Kinda freaky he died on the day of the release.

I thought it was pretty good on it's own merits. A hell of a lot better than the wreck of a Deadwood movie. I would guess the door is open for Jessie to pop into BCS but I don't see it happening. All he knows is that Saul is alive. He has no reason to look for him.  Best part for me was Skinny Pete and Badger.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

I thought it was pretty good on it's own merits. A hell of a lot better than the wreck of a Deadwood movie. I would guess the door is open for Jessie to pop into BCS but I don't see it happening. All he knows is that Saul is alive. He has no reason to look for him.  Best part for me was Skinny Pete and Badger.

Completely disagree with this. The Deadwood movie wasn’t perfect, but it was much more necessary than a Jessie Pinkman movie. 

Deadwood

I felt way more from Al’s death, and his scenes with Trixie, than I did from anything in El Camino.

Ironically, I thought Walt’s flashback added the least. 

My favorite part was probably the standoff with the welder, and Jessie shooting him with the revolver in his pocket after the guy made fun of the .22. 

Archived