El Camino: The Chariot of Destiny (Spoilers)

DMC

Is there a show that's ever actually needed? Did we need Breaking Bad

It was a good film, I thought, anchored by Aaron Paul's performance. Nothing extraordinary, but it was worth watching -- not least because it gave us Robert Forster's last performance. :( RIP.

It was OK. I hated the flashbacks, as always, but I really hated the Walter flashback. It felt like a cringiest celebrity cameo, totally out of place in a Jesse Pinkman movie set after Walters death. Reminded me of a Jason Mamoa cameo in a second or third season of GoT. 

14 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Completely disagree with this. The Deadwood movie wasn’t perfect, but it was much more necessary than a Jessie Pinkman movie. 

Deadwood

Hide contents

I felt way more from Al’s death, and his scenes with Trixie, than I did from anything in El Camino.

Ironically, I thought Walt’s flashback added the least. 

My favorite part was probably the standoff with the welder, and Jessie shooting him with the revolver in his pocket after the guy made fun of the .22. 

Did Deadwood resolve anything though? Even

Spoiler

Al's death is just assumed since we didn't see it on screen.

To me El Camino was far more entertaining. Again, just an opinion.

48 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Did Deadwood resolve anything though? Even

Reveal hidden contents

Al's death is just assumed since we didn't see it on screen.

I've got no opinions on El Camino since I haven't seen it yet, but on Deadwood...

Spoiler

Huh? We see the moment of Al's death; the last 30 seconds are one continuous shot of parts of his dead body. And we get an excellent parting line ("let him fucking stay there"). Whether or not you thought it was a good movie - I thought it was pretty great, myself - it definitely resolved a lot more and gave a lot more closure than the original series finale did, whether through Trixie inheriting the Gem or Jane getting to be a hero or Seth letting go of his rage issues once and for all or the town getting to win against Hearst for once.  

1 hour ago, Caligula_K3 said:

I've got no opinions on El Camino since I haven't seen it yet, but on Deadwood...

Hide contents

Huh? We see the moment of Al's death; the last 30 seconds are one continuous shot of parts of his dead body. And we get an excellent parting line ("let him fucking stay there"). Whether or not you thought it was a good movie - I thought it was pretty great, myself - it definitely resolved a lot more and gave a lot more closure than the original series finale did, whether through Trixie inheriting the Gem or Jane getting to be a hero or Seth letting go of his rage issues once and for all or the town getting to win against Hearst for once.  

Spoiler

No doubt it gave more closure than the series, because the series ended without a finale or any semblance of an ending.

I enjoyed the confirmation that Jesse managed to survive without getting caught and got to escape to start a new life instead of going straight from tortured slave to inmate in prison. I wasn't taking that for granted at the end of the show run.

The stand offs also had great tension and I thought there was some depth to the stuff with the welder.

To me, This was like a double episode of Breaking bad, which is to say I dug it on those terms, but had my expectation been higher --if I was hoping for a blockbuster flick to eclipse the awesomeness of the original show-- I would have been both delusional, and disappointed.  It was fun as hell... like seeing an old friend you love, and miss.... and finding out they're doing well. 

23 hours ago, dooog said:

It was fine but I didn't really see the point of it.

The movie didn't feature anything remarkable, surprising or new that my brain wouldn't or couldn't have filled in when Jesse drove away in the series finale... so what was the point?  just for the sake taking of a stroll down memory lane? It didn't seem remotely necessary. Maybe they're going to shoehorn Jesse into BCS?

6 hours ago, Gronzag said:

It was OK. I hated the flashbacks, as always, but I really hated the Walter flashback. It felt like a cringiest celebrity cameo, totally out of place in a Jesse Pinkman movie set after Walters death. Reminded me of a Jason Mamoa cameo in a second or third season of GoT. 

Agree. The thing that began grating me about this movie were the Todd flashbacks. It felt like they spent a disproportionate amount of time (re)establishing what a total sociopath he was, which we already knew and we know he's fucking dead, move on already. Scene after scene it was a whole lot of "hey!, remember this dead character?"

To me the Todd flash backs were as much about showing us the trauma he went through and equally showing us how Jessie knew where to find the money to start his new life.   They may also have reminded us how messed up Todd was as a way to further justify Jessie killing him by strangling him?

4 minutes ago, dbunting said:

To me the Todd flash backs were as much about showing us the trauma he went through and equally showing us how Jessie knew where to find the money to start his new life.   They may also have reminded us how messed up Todd was as a way to further justify Jessie killing him by strangling him?

Jessie watched him shoot Andrea in the head, I don’t think we needed any reminders...

39 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Jessie watched him shoot Andrea in the head, I don’t think we needed any reminders...

Yeah, I tend towards this.  I mean, I guess you need the setup for the final scene between the two where Jessie gives him the gun in exchange for pepperoni pizza, but it seemed paced like a TV show.  If it were me, I'd treat all 122 minutes on the fate of Jessie Pinkman as precious, and spend less time reminding us he was brutalized by Todd and Co.  Most people watching are already well aware of that.  Those that aren't can watch the last season of BB -- still on Netflix!  

It was okay. At least Pinkman got a decent ending. The movie was 20-30 minutes longer that it needed to be. Aside from setting up how Jessie knew where to find the money, the flashbacks were largely pointless especially the one with Walt which was nothing more than fan service. 

I kinda liked to movie, though I do agree most flashbacks were not entirely necessary, to say the least. I hoped for at least a glimse of what Jesse might be up to in his new life in Alaska, but I guess that was too much to ask for. Shame we didn't get Huell cameo after all.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked this, but it was paced like a TV show. I don't know that Jesse's eventual escape to Alaska was truly a foregone conclusion, but I didn't feel that much tension about it. And I generally love Gilligan's sometimes languid pacing and restraint, but it could have been tighter. That's a lot of caveats. I did enjoy it - and the stuff with the welder (and their initial police masquerade in Todd's apartment) was really well done. 

When is BCS coming back anyhow?

Archived